GAYATHRI GIRISH AT RAGASUDHA HALL – 7/3/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

GAYATHRI GIRISH AT RAGASUDHA HALL – 7/3/18

Post by CRama »

Sethalapathi Balasubramaniam Memorial Concert
Accompanists.
Mysore Srikanth-Violin
M.S.Varadan-Mridangam
Trivandrum Rajagopal-Ganjira
List of songs.
• Paalum teli tenum-Virutham- Nata- Avvayar
• Sakthi Ganapathim- Nata- Roopakam- HMB. (S)
• Enadu Manam kavalai enum irul- Harikambodi-Adi-PS
• Maalon maruganai-Virutham- Kandaralankaram- Kharaharapriya
• Senthil Andavan-Kharaharapriya-Roopakam- PS (R)
• Polla puliyinum –Mayamalavagowla-Adi-PS
• Namoralagimpa-Devagandhari-Roopakam-T
• Nambi kettavar ever ayya-Hindolam-Adi-PS
• Paal ninaindoottum-Virutham-Mohanam
• Karavaadum van nenjarkku-Tevaram-Tirunavukkarasar-Mohanam
• Vaananai-Tevaram-Tirunavukkarasar -Keeravani-Misra chapu
• Kamalambam Bhajare-Kalyani-Adi-MD (R,N,S)
• Tani.
• Sodanai sumaikku-Kapi-Adi-PS
• Vizhikku tunai-Virutham-Kandaralankaram- Sindubhairavi, Behag
• Muruganin maru peyar azhagu-Behag- Khanda chapu-Guru Surajananda
• Mangalam

The family of Sethalapthi Balu Mama had organised this concert in memory of their father who had left an indelible imprint in the minds of the music lovers who were fortunate to hear his moving music especially his viruthams. Unfortunately I have never heard this great vidwan in person. As I am writing this, I am hearing the you tube recordings. Amazing bhavam and very impressive voice. Very much surprised why he did not make it big in the concert circuit. In the beginning, Gayathri Girish remembered one programme she had done with this vidwan in 1998 called Virutham-Keerthanam in which Balu Mama sang viruthams and Gayathri sang Kritis. Most appropriately, she packed the concert with many of the viruthams, Papanasam Sivan kritis, Tevarams etc immortalised by Balu mama which were rendered with melting raga bhavam and sahithya bhavam. The family members of Balu Mama- B.Ganapathyraman, B.Sivaraman and other members as also musicians like Gayathri Venkatraghavan, Poongulam Subramaniam and a few others attended the concert.

After the virutham by Avvayar, Gayathri presented a spirited version of the song by Muthiah Bhagavatar which was popularised by her Guru TNS and sang some lovely swaras at Bhanukoti sankasam. The next few songs which brought memories of Sethalapathi Balu Mama- Sivan combination were rendered with poise, dignity and emotional content and an overall aura of devotion prevailed throughout the concert. There were certainly many eyes which turned moist on hearing the sublime rendering of the songs Enadu manam, Malon maruganai virutham, Senthil Andavan, Polla puliyinum, Paal ninainduttum virutham etc. The Kharaharapiya alapana was sung till shadjam and after violin return, she took up from shajdam with the virutham Malon maruganai and followed up with the Papanasam Sivan Kriti- Senthil Andavan. Kalpana swarams at Vadivelan was a miss.
Namoralagimpa, the lone Tyagaraja kriti in the concert was a pleasant surprise as it is normally sung only by musicians from Musiri school and Gayathri presented the song admirably. The alapana of Kalyani, the mightly Navavaranam of Dikshitar, neraval at pallavi and following kalpana swaras infused the required weight of the main kriti.

Mysore Srikanth played exceedingly well. The tonal quality, his admirable thick and thin shades, raga bhavam, proportion, all received repeated applause from the discerning rasikas. M.S.Varadan followed admirably with his sensitive accompaniment and the tani with Trivandrum Rajagopal was a treat. An excellent concert for two and half hours.

Nick H

Re: GAYATHRI GIRISH AT RAGASUDHA HALL – 7/3/18

Post by Nick H »

Superb concert. At the beginning, I was not aware of the history or the identity of Sethalapathi Balasubramaniam, and therefore did not know the specific why of this concert featuring so much virutham. I was just glad that it did: it is a pity that it is commonly left as just one item towards the end of a concert.

It was an every-note-beautiful concert. enjoyable and moving at every minute. I very much agree with your remarks about the accompaniment also. The violin was particular sweet, and always particularly fitting/appropriate.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Wow - beautiful list.
This is a good example of how in thematic concerts also tradition/paddathi can be perfectly maintained e.g. no need to sacrifice T or MD krithis just because its a memorial / thematic concert etc.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CRama,
A fitting review in your erudite and sensitive style of a concert which merits your detailed review. Gayathri Girish indeed is thorough when it comes to a thematic concert and her choice of songs speak of her mind and heart invested in it. A thematic label isn't just putting together songs with her--she garners them to make meaning out of them, and that too with bhAvA and coherence.
I haven't heard Sri. Balu in person, but his bhAvA soaked singing is a joy to hear.

Nick,
Wish I were there to enjoy the concert as much as you did :)

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

CRama's review brings to my memory a concert of Sri Sethalapathi Balu Mama at Chromepet several years ago (1997 IIRC). He presented many Sivan kritis and I remember him getting highly emotional while rendering key sahitya passages. Viruttams came in profusely in varied ragas.
Congrats to Gayatri Girish for kindling the memories!