Ramana Balachandran @ NGS for Charsur 8/3/2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Rasika_first

Ramana Balachandran @ NGS for Charsur 8/3/2018

Post by Rasika_first »

Back to this space after the December season. Thanks to my travel and personal commitments, couldn't really sit and write a review. This is going to be a brief write up about Ramana's veena recital.

Having listened to him live at Arkay during the season, I missed him at Artery, however caught up that concert online. Coming to this concert, I badly wanted to attend it, not just for Ramana but also for the accompanist. Ramana must consider it as a blessing to have been accompanied by such stalwarts. This child is really blessed and happy to see organizers giving him opportunities and encouraging him.

Ramana Balachandran - Veena
Mannargudi Easwaran - Mridangam
KV Gopalakrishnan - Kanjira

1. Ganapathiye Karunanidhiye - Karaharapriya - Adi - Papanasam Sivan
2. Edhayya Gati - Chala Nattai - Adi - Koteeswara Iyer
3. Pani Mathi Mukhi Bale - Ahiri - Maharaja Swathi Thiruna;
4. Kandan Seyal Andro - Nattaikurunji - Rupakam - Lalgudi Jayaraman
5. Sevika Vendum Ayya - Andolika - Adi - Muttutandavar
6. Elavatara - Mukhari - Adi - Thyagaraja
7. Chandrachooda - Durbari Kanada - Adi - Purandaradasa
8. Thillana - Rageshri - Adi
9. Annapurne Visalakshi- Sama - Adi - Muthuswamy Dikshithar
10. Ennaga Manasukurani - Neelambari - Thyagaraja
11. Mangalam on Bhagwan Ramana Maharishi.

I am sure those who attended the concert that were treated to some chaste music on the veena. Ramana's prodigious talent is known to all and he has rising to be a star vainika. I appreciate his dedication and commitment at this young age. For me the pick of the day was the Ahriri piece composed by Swathi thirunal. I have heard a melodious rendition by KVN. And he did full justice to it on the instrument. Ahiri is a very emotive raga and can make you forget oneself. The next best piece for me as Mukhari. His delineation of mukhari was simply superb and honestly I would have switched my brains off after this :). Mukhari was preceded by Nattaikurunji ragam and can be termed the submain of the day. Any lalgudi piece is a treat for me. And Ramana played it very well

He finished the concert with couple of pieces in durbari kanada. HOnestly I prefer MLV's version of this song especially the way she changes the nadai in the last few lines. Rasikas can check youtube for reference.

A word about Easwaran sir and KVG. Both the senior vidwans aptly supported him and at times even encouraged him. I am sure Ramana will benefit and gain experience as he grows. Best wishes to this young lad.

sreebeecane

Re: Ramana Balachandran @ NGS for Charsur 8/3/2018

Post by sreebeecane »

Is there a recording of this, by any chance?

balavenu

Post by balavenu »

sreebeecane wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 06:34 Is there a recording of this, by any chance?
Sreebeecane, this was recorded by Charsur and they will put it up online soon (but as a commercial label). They however did an FB Live at https://www.facebook.com/CharsurArtsFou ... 27510777/ that has a twenty plus minutes of Nattakurinji.

The other concert Rasika_first referred to (ARTery) is at https://www.facebook.com/theartery.in/v ... 334655171/. Not sure how long it will be there though.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

sreebeecane wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 06:34 Is there a recording of this, by any chance?
Heard a close to 3 minutes clip of mukahri thanam in facebook. What a lovely music that was - PURE BLISS. It will be great to listen to this as a full concert in YT.

https://www.facebook.com/hariharan.rama ... 408524984/

balavenu

Post by balavenu »

ram1999 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 10:32
Heard a close to 3 minutes clip of mukahri thanam in facebook. What a lovely music that was - PURE BLISS. It will be great to listen to this as a full concert in YT.

https://www.facebook.com/hariharan.rama ... 408524984/
Ram, the YT upload is unlikely to happen as this was recorded for Charsur. It will be on their site, I presume.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

What a nATTaikurinji! Looking forward to the Charsur release. And to hearing him live in North Carolina soon.