BU Ganesh Prasad@rAgasudha on Mar 10th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------
Violin : BU Ganesh Prasad
Mrudangam : Manoj Siva

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours
Concert Type: Free Concert
Hall : ragasudha hall, Luz
Occassion : Marungapuri Gopalakrishna Iyer

01. nera nammiti-varnam - KAnadA -Poochi Iyengar
02. ninnu Joochi (S) - sowrAshtram - Patnam
4 mins swaras

03. bhajana seya rAdha(R N S)- dharmavati - MV
7 mins alapana
7 mins neraval and swaras

04. smara sada mAnasa (R N S) - bilahari - ST
8 mins alapana
9 mins neraval and swaras
05. renuka devi (Ragasketch) - kannadabangala - MD
06. telisirAma (R)- umabharanam - T
2 mins alapana

7A. kAmAkshi - swarajati (R N S T) - bhairavi- SS
12 mins alapana
12 mins neraval and swaras
7B. tani for 7 mins

08. vagaladi (R) -javali - behag - tirupati narayanaswami
2 mins alapana
09. gOvardhana giridhAri - darbAri kAnadA - NT
10. thillana- dhirana tomta - shenjuruTTi - veena seshanna
11. Nee NAma - mangalam

Every year the Marungapuri gopalakrishna Iyer trust (who is a violinist , 1955 SK awardee) conducts an yearly festival of violin solo concerts in ragasudha hall . Three concerts are lined up this year - S varadarajan(Fri), BUGP(Sat) and RKSK(Sun) is to follow in few hours.I had time and leisure to grab VVS disciple BU ganesh Prasad on a saturday. The crowd was extremely sparse but the quality of BUGP- Manoj Siva was extremely engaging. Ganesh has admirably planned,if you see the list he has taken a wide range of composers restricting to just 1 composition for each vageyakkara. Ganesh as an accompaniment plays with ragabhavam precision and for the first time I heard him play a violin solo with a more advanced raga bhavam precision and he played without an iota of any extra unwanted sangathi . ganesh is also tutored by PSN Sir and I am guessing the gayaki style came very well from that guru.

Ganesh started with a clean kAnadA , He just reminded with a bit of sangathis from mahaarajapuram school and he played with intense focus . The usually bit slow accompanist played bit fast as the song demanded that way as he played ninnu joochi .I immensely liked his focus with a splash of swaras the sowrashtram indeed kalaikattufied the concert

The first alapana unfolded I was bit not sure if it was dharmavati or hemavati due to my ignorance but as he bowed bit more it was clear that it was dharmavati. Right kalapramanam for most part indeed brought in lot of intensity and showcased dharmavathi raga . Bilahari more known to Lalgudi school atleast i did not know how does it sound in VVS school . Ganesh played beautifully there was speed , press and more importantly control in bilahari alapana. The krithi smara sada mAnasa when he played was all along in the contours of a typical KVN'ish style and right press and speed brought intense bilahari rasa.

The cute little renuka devi with a brief alapana was really wonderful , the krithi was beautifully played with tonal melancholy rasa I wished that he could have gone with few rounds of swaras but ganesh just wrapped up renuka devi which was brilliant. The lone T krithi telisi rama was a great contrast of speed with few cittaswaras his bowing was clean and I enjoyed it . The main was the most beautiful bhairavi , his alapana was copybook bhairavi and the swarajati was a faithful gayaki rendition certainly bhairavi got its regal status with swarajati. I would have been happier if he had gone for a RTP but he wrapped with 3 short tukkadas , the most arresting was the govardhana in darbAri . The brief behag with a short alapana sketch was a lovely contrast to bhairavi . The last shenjurutti tillana had a Semmangudish typecast which I believe should have come in full thru his guru PSN.

Manoj Siva embellished with care and did not rob even one sangathi with any unwanted teermanam or any overbang beats . He played with the same pracheena approach, I would have been bit happier if the tani was bit more demonstrative - I guess the crowd count was possibly a dampener for him to showcase his palakkad raghu school.

All said Manoj and Ganesh were intensely classical .Ganesh never showcased the range or the supremacy of violin vadhyam and he had no thoughts to make it as a vadhya kutcheri . All along he focussed on the beauty of the krithis and the range of different composers brought in a lot of intense anta kalathu gayaki touch . As mentioned before I would have enjoyed bit more if he had played an RTP - practically so rare to hear a violin solo the chance to hear Ganesh again is quite remote. One has to give to ganesh for restricting to just one composition per vageyakkara and in his own non boisterous style he let his violin do all the work with only occassional announcement for few krithis . An extremely inside looking musicians - Ganesh and Manoj did stick to core fundamentals. Glad to hear the rare violin solo of a great violinist BU Ganesh Prasad who showcased the beauty of krithis with only divine violin nAdham with sampradAya suddham,

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours

sankark

Re: BU Ganesh Prasad@rAgasudha on Mar 10th,2018

Post by sankark »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTUzshU4ws
rajeshnat wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 13:58 One has to give to ganesh for restricting to just one composition per vageyakkara and in his own non boisterous style he let his violin do all the work with only occassional announcement for few krithis . An extremely inside looking musicians - Ganesh and Manoj did stick to core fundamentals. Glad to hear the rare violin solo of a great violinist BU Ganesh Prasad who showcased the beauty of krithis with only divine violin nAdham with sampradAya suddham,

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours
Indeed.

harimau

Post by harimau »

rajeshnat wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 13:58 BU Ganesh Prasad@rAgasudha

06. telisirAma (R)- umabharanam - T
Telisi rama - Purnachandrika

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Or nija marmamulunu telisi na variki

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Just check video it is indeed - Telisi rama - Purnachandrika

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

HarishankarK wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 01:19 Or nija marmamulunu telisi na variki
Should be telisina (one word) vAriki...telisi na will be like splitting terinja as terin ja

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Made a mistake it was poornachandrika only and the krithi is telisirama.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Concise, no-frills music. Beautiful concert! Mandra stAyi beginning in bilahari and passage in bhairavi were touching. Not quite VVS-esque clarity in sangatis but generally very clean playing. Enjoyed Manoj Siva's very appropriate accompaniment too.