Lalgudis for 'Raaga' @ Hamilton, NZ

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MV

Lalgudis for 'Raaga' @ Hamilton, NZ

Post by MV »

Vid GJR Krishnan
Vid Smt Vijayalakshmi
Vid Shri Arjun Kumar

1) Huseni Varnam- LGJ
2) PranamAmyaham - Goulai - MV (KS)
3) NArayana - Suddha Dhanyasi - PD (R, N@ Krishna Krishna, KS @ the 2nd Krishna)
4) MurugA MurugA - Saveri - Periya Sami Thooran (KS)
5) Ada mOdi - Charukesi - (R, KS @ Chaduvulanni)
6) BAla gOpAla - Bhairavi (R, N, KS, Thani)
7) RTP in NasikaBhooshini in Tisra Ata, Tisra Nadai
Devi BrOva SamayamidE-AtI vEghamE Vacchi
Ragamalika Swarams in Sahana, Dhanyasi, Yadukula Kambhoji, Saranga, Bhupalam and Bageshri
8) jAnakI ramanA - Kapi - Vaanamaamalai Jeeyar
9) Kurai Onrum Illai
10) Chinnan Chiru Kiliye
11) Thillana - Mohana Kalyani LGJ

MV

Re: Lalgudis for Raaga Hamilton

Post by MV »

If the Auckland concert was amazing, the Lalgudi duo backed it up with an even more spell-binding evening in Hamilton. That Huseni Varnam is so rarely heard and the chittaswarams were lilting.

LV' is the master of pentatonic scale and she coaxed and pleaded her way through an emotional alapana. Niraval at Krishna Krishna culminating in the mel Shadjam was like reaching a pinnacle every time. KS at the 2nd Krishna again set them up for some amazing parley with the calculations that was made to look 'oh-so-easy' LGJRK matched that with a serene Saveri as they proceeded to beg Muruga's mercy in the poignant composition.

The Charukesi was a request since they have been playing their father's favourites this past few weeks. Then came the brilliant Bhairavi by LGJRK. That was the highlight. LV was itching to go as the refrain floated by and finally her brother let her have a few phrases towards what we thought was the end. But then, he found more to add to the brimming cup. Bala Gopala just sang from the strings and Niraval @ 'Drona Karna' where sharp as arrows while 'Draupadi' was gentle and pleading. The KS carried the same disparity. Very cleverly visualised, explained and expounded by the pair. Arjun Kumar on both days has been awake to all the nuances - be it the sahityam or the complicated KS. He went on to play a superb thani, galloping along like a horse one minute and treading water the next.

That set the stage for Nasikabhooshini. The duo milked the vivadhi notes and the ' announced short RTP' found more flavour with all the bells and whistles. They had already played for 3 + hours and with requests coming in, they wound their way through some end pieces.

To shine 2 days, back-to-back is an achievement. Coming from an illustrious lineage, the duo have found their own rhythm and play a happy tune together.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I forgot if Lalgudi Jayaraman has ever played Balagopala in bhairavi , but he has. It must have been a brilliant number to showcase the different strains of silken strings by Lalgudi duo. thanks malathi for the review and I am assuming you are also the organizer for either/both hamilton or Auckland. Is there a third Kiwi concert ??

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Good review of a good program. However,the title of this review is a little confusing, at least to me ! My first thought was, "How come I have never heard about a raaga called Hamilton". Only after reading the contents did I realize that the concert was organized by "rAAga" at Hamilton", New Zealand.
Pleased to note that there are enough rasikas to support Carnatic programs there. In my days as an exchange scholar in NZ and Aus in 1969-70, there were very few Indians down under there, only in the embassy !

MV

Post by MV »

Rajesh & S. Rajan,

Thanks for your comments. Auckland concert was organised by NZCMS which is the first Carnatic Music group in NZ, Raaga Hamilton was organised by me. With increasing students learning CM, parents and support groups are all coming in now to concerts. There was a Nithyashree concert a few years back where people were standing at the back with no seating available

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

This is the best Violin Pair gradually getting recognition by the Rasikas.It is a monumental task to be out of a legend's shadows.The recitals are most melodious,consistent with out any gimmicks or loud playing.
Excellent song list in both programs.
Waiting for Lalgudi siblings concert at bangalore during Ramanavami.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:28 Good review of a good program. However,the title of this review is a little confusing, at least to me ! My first thought was, "How come I have never heard about a raaga called Hamilton".
That is because you haven't watched the Broadway musical, 'Hamilton'! :lol: :D :)