TAMIZH ISAI VIZHA- VANI MAHAL – 26-31 MARCH 2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

TAMIZH ISAI VIZHA- VANI MAHAL – 26-31 MARCH 2018

Post by CRama »

Good news indeed. Vani Mahal is conducting Tamizh Isai vizha for a week to satisfy those tamizh isai anbargal who were not able to attend the exclusive tamizh music concerts during the season held in the Raja Annamalai Mandram. I attended three concerts so far and each one was an exhilarating experience for two hours. I am sharing my happiness with my forumites.
26-3-18.
K.Gayathri- Vocal
L.Ramakrishnan- Violin.
Sumesh Narayanan-Mridangam
S.Krishna- Ghatam.
List of songs.
• Pada Varnam- Sankara Hara Priya Uma Kumara- Priya Ragamalika- Suguna Purushothaman.
• Udavi seyyalagatha-Sahana-Rupakam-Vedanayakam Pillai (R,S)
• Karunakarane Sivasankarane-Keeravani- Adi-PS (R,N,S)
• Enraikku sivakripai-Mukhari-Misra chapu-NS
• Paal vadiyum mukham-Natakurinji-Adi-OVK
• Tiruvadi saranam-Kambodi-Adi-GKB (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Manju nigar- Kavadichindu-Annamali Reddiyar
• Mangalam

A very well sruti aligned voice, pleasing stage demeanour, intense abhyasam under Veteran Suguna Purushothaman, her strength in melody and laya etc contribute immensely to the success of her concerts. The ragamalika varnam has ragams Kharaharapriya, Kokilapriya, Ramapriya, Shanmugapriya, Pasupatipriya, Yagapriya and Rasikapriya. The Keeravani alapana was grand with lot of MS sangatis using kampita gamakams. All songs, ragams, neravals, swaras rendered well. However I felt that the entire concert was medium tempo and fast temp. A chowka kala kriti could have brought some contrast. Instead of Paal vadiyum mukham, she could have sung Ekkalathilum or Vazhi maraithirukkude. Paal vadiyum mukham kriti was rendered in the gait of Nenarunchinanu. With the result the madhyama kala sahithyam was not clearly heard. A very good concert. Pakka vadyam vidwans embellished the concert appreciably.

27-3-18
Palakkad Ramprasad- Vocal
Nagai Sriram- Violin
J.Vaidyanathan-Mridangam
V.Suresh-Ghatam
List of songs.
• Sivalokanathanai- Mayamalavagowla-GKB –Rupakam (S)
• Taye Tripurasundari-Sudhasaveri- Khanda Chapu -PT (N,S)
• Balakrishnan Padamlar-Dhanyasi-PS-(R)
• Kadaikann vaithennai alamma-Begada- Misrachapu-RS (R,N)
• Kaanaamal veenile –Neelambari –PS
• Ramanukku mannan mudi-Hindolam-Adi-AK (N)
• Toomani madathu-Hameerkalyani –Tiruppavai (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Dikku teriyada kaattil-Ragamalika- Bharatiyar
• Mangalam

Grandson of legendary Palghat Mani Iyer and Disciple of his father Palghat T.R.Rajaraman, a highly placed academician having a good stead in Carnatic music. A bold masculine voice and strong fidelity to the patantharam add strength to his concerts. A grand Thodi I heard in the KGS concert during the season reminded me of the alapana of Alathur Sivasubramania Iyer. This was an excellent concert with alapana and spirited neraval (not simply noise), proportion all in good measure resulting in an excellent concert. The Accompanists contributed immensely for the success of the concert.

28-3-18
T.N.S.Krishna- Vocal
B.U Ganesh Prasad- Violin
K.Arun Prakash- Mridangam
Trichy Murali- Ghatam.
List of songs.
• Neeye saranam- Hamsadhwani virutham- Bharatiyar
• Varana mugava- Hamsadhwani-Adi-KI (S)
• Kalai vaaniye karunai purivay- Saraswathy-Adi –TNS (R,S)
• Virutham- Annavayal Puduvai Andal- Thodi.
• Notru suwargam- Thodi- Tiruppavai.
• Ananda nadamaduvar tillai- Poorvikalyani-Rupakam (R,S)
• Taaye tanayan sei pizhai poruppaye- Sama- TNS
• Manadirkisaintha manavalan-Sankarabharanam-Adi- HMB (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Chinnamchiru kiliye-Ragamalika- Bharatiyar
• Mangalam

TNS Krishna follows his legendary father in providing an immensely enriching concert always. It is worth mentioning that TNS and his disciples always sing Chinnanchiru kiliye with all the charanams. B.U.Ganesh Prasad played excellently. We could hear a different Arun Prakash. With right volume and intensity he contributed well for the success of the concert. A fantastic concert.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: TAMIZH ISAI VIZHA- VANI MAHAL – 26-31 MARCH 2018

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Nice, crisp notes.
The one week Tamil isai vizha is likely to bring in many old & unheard as well as new songs.
Laudable effort by the Tyaga Brahma Gana Sabha.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

CRama,
Thank you.

harimau

Post by harimau »

CRama wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 12:30 Good news indeed. Vani Mahal is conducting Tamizh Isai vizha for a week to satisfy those tamizh isai anbargal who were not able to attend the exclusive tamizh music concerts during the season held in the Raja Annamalai Mandram. ........
Over the last weekend, Madhuradhwani held a 4-day series on Arunachala Kavirayar's Rama Natakam. Each day had a 45-minute introductory speech by Smt Sudha Seshayyan followed by a 2-hour concert. No reviews here.

Rasika Ranjani Sabha hosted over 4 weekends between February and March a 10-concert series on Tamil Isai. Each day had an one-hour introduction by well-known speakers followed by a 100-minute concert. The series covered music from the Sangam Age through 20th century composers. The series was so good that several persons in the audience requested that the lecture and the concert be held on successive days, giving each 2 to two and a half hours. R R Sabha graciously agreed and assured that next year the series would span 20 days. No takers from the Rasikas.org community even though they baited rajeshnat with a concert by his favorite Suryaprakash.

There are and have been and will be Tamil Isai concerts at places other than Raja Annamalai Manram or Vani Mahal.

They were also advertised at great cost in that rag that thinks it is a newspaper.

So your only excuse is that you couldn't be bothered.

sankark

Post by sankark »

harimau wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 20:57
CRama wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 12:30 Good news indeed. Vani Mahal is conducting Tamizh Isai vizha for a week to satisfy those tamizh isai anbargal who were not able to attend the exclusive tamizh music concerts during the season held in the Raja Annamalai Mandram. ........
Over the last weekend, Madhuradhwani held a 4-day series on Arunachala Kavirayar's Rama Natakam. Each day had a 45-minute introductory speech by Smt Sudha Seshayyan followed by a 2-hour concert. No reviews here.
Yep, and harimau didn't have time to write reviews as hir (their?) time was all spent on sarcasm and trolling.

harimau

Post by harimau »

sankark wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 21:01
Yep, and harimau didn't have time to write reviews as hir (their?) time was all spent on sarcasm and trolling.
I only review those musicians pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Harimau,
How about it- we read your reviews and reports about other Tamizh Isai lectures and concerts that you refer to, at least now?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I have listened / watched almost all of it, once finished I will collate the 4 day proceedings and post a review. Wonderful indeed. First time I am coming across Dr Seshayyan, so knowledgeable and erudite. What can I say, but her medha vilasam shined through out!

arasi

Post by arasi »

I don't write reviews (not qualified for it), but I do watch some concerts which are on the web. About the other two tamizh festivals (good news for us)--I don't know if they are on You Tube. I did listen to Sudha Seshayyan, Harimau. She is a delight to listen to. It's more like sharing on her part of the fund of things she knows--sharing ,as with friends. Absolutely no airs or stances like some others who give kathA prasanga. I am going to watch the concerts too...

harimau

Post by harimau »

MaheshS wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 00:57
I have listened / watched almost all of it, once finished I will collate the 4 day proceedings and post a review. Wonderful indeed. First time I am coming across Dr Seshayyan, so knowledgeable and erudite. What can I say, but her medha vilasam shined through out!
The 10-day Tamil Isai Festival at Rasika Ranjani Sabha was videographed. There was talk of showing it on a big screen at R R Sabha for those who might have missed it.

If you understand Tamil, the talks on the ten days provided so much information on Tamil Isai that you would have gone home after learning things that are in no textbooks or research papers. For instance, who knew that Ramalinga Adigalar was sued in court over his Tiru Arut Paa, once by a Tamil scholar who called them Marut Paa, and again by his student who was upset that his teacher had lost the case? Did you know that Gopala Krishna Bharathi had to leave Chidambaram and take refuge elesewhere because the Chidambaram Deekshithars were collecting as a mob to beat him up for daring to exalt Nandan, a Dalit?

Going back to Sangam Age, did you know that the poems of Pathitru Pathu, Paripaadal and Kalithokai are meant to be sung, not just read as poetry? That the 4000 Divya Prabhandam was published by Tiruvengadamudyan Publishers with raga and tala indicated for all of them, a monumental effort as musicians had to be employed to ensure that those ragas and talas would fit all those 4000 poems which of course had been written in different meters? (Some of you may be disappointed to learn that Karnaranjani and Misra Sivaranjani were not featured!)

The series was held on four consecutive weekends (Friday through Sunday) except for the inaugural lecture and concert which was on the Friday of the first weekend. The attendance was variable; however there were several regulars and all those who attended appreciated both the lectures and the Music. There is no way to type out the 10 hours of absorbing talks on this website or elsewhere; one could listen, or attempt to take notes while missing several nuggets of information.

So, if they do hold a video show, by all means go. The talks were superb and the Music was great.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It is refreshing to see a chastened tiger talking in a language LCD people can appreciate, Harimau.
When so much senthamarai (lotus( is there why slosh in seru (mud)?
Thanks.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

That's a nice gesture, harimau!
You may post any information you remember about the events 'then and there'.

Time heals debates but steals memory too!