Bharatiar-Kuvalai kannan- Drama-Vijay Siva

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
grsastrigal

Bharatiar-Kuvalai kannan- Drama-Vijay Siva

Post by grsastrigal »

Last Saturday, I attended a Drama – Bharathy “yaar”. Bharathy’s role was performed by “isaikkavi ramaNan”. (IR)
People who do not know IR- “He has been a regular speaker on various old topics like Kannadaasan, MS Viswanathan and of course many times on Bharathiar. People who live in Mylapore would never have missed IR’s speech in Bharatiya vidya bhavan.. Very famous personality.

Interesting incident about IR – Recently, I attended the Annual Drama festival at PSS School Mylapore. S. Balachander’s (famous Veena and multi-faceted director) “andha naal” was recreated in the form of “drama”. The ever green Sivaji Ganesan Starrer Andha naal, as a drama, was a pleasant surprise for me. Sivaji’s role was performed by IR. It was a difficult role but he did it really well

Coming back to the Drama, IR, with his extensive repertoire on Bharati, performed the roll very well. His make up as bharati, reciting the songs, and ferocious outburst, yearning for freedom, on the spot compositions- as his character warrants – all exhibited beautifully. After the drama was over, my respect for this great visionary raised many folds.

Now, come to the role of Kuvalai KaNNan (KK) in Bharatiyar drama.

This was done by our Vijay Siva.

Vija Siva, as we all know, as a vocalist who is passionate on Bharatiar songs, like his Gurus, but as an actor I was wondering how he would be.:
But to my surprise, VS gave a stellar performance as KK. I did not know much about Bharatiar’s life history except his songs and few incidents on his life. After seeing VS performance I wanted to read/know more about KK.

A jubiliant KK while reading or listening Bharatiar songs, sarcastic and joining with Bharatiar;s wife to irritate Bharatiar, showing emotions while informing Bharatiar that Ash durai was shot dead by Vanchinathan and the latter also shot him dead, and so on.

When bharatiar calls “kaNNA, he reached him as a calf going to its mmother. Even those, who were unheard of KK, would have understood that character very well after seeing VS performance. He was coming 6-7 times in the whole drama. But he stole the heart of all. I don’t know who decided to put VS in on the role and also don’t know how he agreed. !!!
Oh man, it was too good.

The tirumaN (naamam) in his forehead- and the pancha gajam with kurtha- looked like a typical Iyengaar-servant.

Raising his hands and jumping sometimes, he did all what the character needed actually.
After the drama was over, deafening standing ovation when Vijay siva’s name was announced. He did not expect and felt very shy. That was so beautiful….

Whether MA gives VS, Sangeetha kalaanidhi or not, many rasikas had already conferred him SA in their hearts. If they saw the performance of VS as KK, they would confer him “naadaga kalaanidhi” too.

rajeshnat

Re: Bharatiar-Kuvalai kannan- Drama-Vijay Siva

Post by rajeshnat »

Good one GRS, about 12 yeas back in sastri hall there was an organization called triplicane humour club where once vijay was invited like a chief guest . Tripliance humour club will have a topic with one chairperson and 3 to 4 will speak with humour . That day it was the television series kind of comedy central like . Vijay was impressive that day in giving closing remarks.

rajeshnat

Re: Bharatiar-Kuvalai kannan- Drama-Vijay Siva

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Move this thread to Kutcheri reviews and recordings .

GRS or others
In future please put drama reviews in kutcheri reviews thread . Few months back i wrote a tamizh drama review , when it stays there more chance of future reference .