AMRUTHA VENKATESH IN NGS (MINI) HALL- 18/4/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

AMRUTHA VENKATESH IN NGS (MINI) HALL- 18/4/18

Post by CRama »

Syama Sastri Jayanthi Concert
Accompanists.
L.Ramakrishnan- Violin
Arjun Ganesh- Mridangam
List of songs.
• Kamakshi- Swarajati- Bhairavi- Misra Chapu
• Palayasumam Paradevate-Arabhi- Tisra Triputa (S)
• Triloka mata –Paras- Viloma Chapu
• Himachalatanaya-Anandabhairavi- Adi
• Parvati ninnune- Kalgada- Adi (R,S)
• Parakela nannu- Kedaragowla- Adi (R)
• ShrIpatimukha virachita pujye shrI Parvati mam pahi-Saveri –Adi (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Brovavamma-Manji-Misra Chapu
• Kanakasailaviharini- Punnagavarali-Adi
• Karunajoodu-Sree-Adi

The concert started at 6.30 PM. An excellent concert by the team. Her unhurried style of singing is much suitable for the exposition of the Syama Sastri Kritis. All the kritis were rendered with full fidelity to the sahithyam which is also her USP. Palayasu Paradevayate is a very rare kriti and it was decorated with sufficient doses of imaginative swarams. Trilokamata had a different colour than what I have heard from many other musicians. The raga alapana of Kalgada brought out the contours of the ragam very distinctly despite its similarity with Bhowli. First time I heard this raga alapana. Raga Kedaragowla was on its characteristic pidis with the optimum quantum of kampita and jarus. The song had chittaswarams.

Raga alapana of Saveri was the highlight. An expansive treatment for 15 minute her impressive voice covered the three octaves with ease and delight and her manodharmam riding high. There were many Semmangudiish sangatis which brought me memories of Semmangudi’s Saveri in Navarathri Mandapam. The alapana had the right blend of short notes, long notes, gamakams and sparkling brighas which produced an awesome effect. The kriti, I have never heard so far. There was very elaborate neraval on the charanam lines Syamakrishna sodari Bhuvaneswari Tripurasundari. The neraval and the following kalpana swarams were expressive of her vidwat, innate manodharmam and craftsmanship. The song alone took 45 minutes.

The post tani songs Brovavamma and Kanakasailavihari very successfully conveyed the plea of the composer to Goddess Kamakshi.

L.Ramakrishnan on the violin provided excellent support. His raga alapanas were perfect and returns appropriate. The many imaginative swara combinations around ma he played in Saveri were remarkable. Arjun Ganesh is a rising star. With the right volume, abundance of strokes and imagination, he provided very good support. An excellent concert for two hours and ten minutes filled with sowkhyam, vidwat, sincerity and abundant manodharmam.

rajeshnat

Re: AMRUTHA VENKATESH IN NGS (MINI) HALL- 18/4/18

Post by rajeshnat »

Keep it up CRama, I especially like when you firm up with the last line as excellent concert. Amrutha venkatesh , L Ramakrishnan and Arjun Ganesh have so much stuff within them. A day before I went to pattabhi concert , I could not make it to this , exclusive syama sastri .

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

1. Few artistes can sing a full 2+ hours with a 100% Syama Sastry repertoire. Even fewer can make it gripping and imaginative from start to finish.

2. She started with a head first jump into the deep end.

3. The first 3 songs were all set to the 7 beat cycle (misra chapu, tisra triputa and viloma chapu). Each kriti handled it differently to bring out a different rhythmic feel. Her timely announcement guided the audience.

4. The vivadhi nature of kalgada was brought to the fore thru the alapana and the unhurried rendering of the kriti. A raga that appears to have huge untapped potential for exploration.

5. Parakela nannu, another song usually sung as "fast filler" was taken up as submain. Refreshingly imaginative.

6. Saveri is quite commonly heard in the kucheri platform. But a masterful interpretation keeps it fresh and absorbing. Two very captivating treatments by brilliant artistes over successive days. The rare kriti helped sustain the tautness in the concert.

7. The accompanists rose to the occasion. This is the mark of a great concert when the whole far exceeds the sum of the parts.

8. Kudos to Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust and NVS sir for organizing the concert as a fitting tribute to the great composer.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Wow!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

AIR 100.1FM Amruthavarshini broadcast an excellent veena concert by Ms Amrutha Venkatesh yesterday 7PM-8PM.

Wow.Wow.

100% agree with Suresh.
Thanks CRama!

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Any recording? Youtube? Where art thou Parivadini? :)

ark07

Post by ark07 »

gardabha_gana wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 15:43 Any recording? Youtube? Where art thou Parivadini? :)
Amrutha Venkatesh has uploaded 3 songs from the above concert to her Youtube channel. You can watch them here -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcpySD ... 79A/videos

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Thank you for the youtube links

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

ark07 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 20:49
gardabha_gana wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 15:43 Any recording? Youtube? Where art thou Parivadini? :)
Amrutha Venkatesh has uploaded 3 songs from the above concert to her Youtube channel. You can watch them here -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcpySD ... 79A/videos
Thanks for the links, ark07.

Regarding mAnji, I always felt that 'varugalamO' provides a more distinct persona to this raga and set itself apart from Bhairavi. Amrutha's initial segments of Brovavamma have more of that 'varugalamo' vibe than what I remember hearing and that was just wonderful. ( later on the song itself goes too much into Bhairavi territory which Varugamalo avoids for the most part, but that is a different discussion ).

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 09:04
ark07 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 20:49
Thanks for the links, ark07.

Regarding mAnji, I always felt that 'varugalamO' provides a more distinct persona to this raga and set itself apart from Bhairavi. Amrutha's initial segments of Brovavamma have more of that 'varugalamo' vibe than what I remember hearing and that was just wonderful. ( later on the song itself goes too much into Bhairavi territory which Varugamalo avoids for the most part, but that is a different discussion ).
Most bhairavi alapanas always become manji above the upper Sa. I have heard that old bhairavi used only D1 while modern bhairavi is nearly 85-90% manji.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Prince Rama Verma is generally present in all Amrita's Concerts video recording the concerts.I understand he is her Guru.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I just heard this concert - 3 tracks. Excellent audio quality. Amrutha has done really well! What Saveri. And the violin and mridangam accompaniment is also very good.