Sumithra Vasudev, Shanmatham, 20/Apr/2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Sumithra Vasudev, Shanmatham, 20/Apr/2018

Post by sankark »

In Ragasudha Hall, Naada Inbam

https://youtu.be/bDKupLqZprs

Live now

MaheshS

Re: Sumithra Vasudev, Shanmatham, 20/Apr/2018

Post by MaheshS »

Parivadini - Sumithra Vasudev @ Nada Inbam - 20th Apr 2018

Sumithra Vasudev - Vocal
Usha Rajagopal - Violin
Melakaveri Balaji - Mridangam
B.S.Purushothaman - Khanjira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDKupLqZprs

Nidaye Sarva Vidyanam - Slokam - Nattai
Sruthi Smrithi - Slokam - Nagasvarali
Sri Shankara Guruvaram - Nagasvarali [NS@shrI shankara guruvaram cintayAmi bhava haram] - Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer

Slokam - Ganesha Bhujangam
Giri Raja Sudha - Bangala - T

Suryamurthe - Sourashtram - MD

Slokam - Pandu Ranga Ashtakam
Odi Barayya - Bhairavi [A,NS@mangaLAnga mOhanakAya ranga] - PD

Shankari Shankuru - Saveri [S] - SS
Slokam - Anandha Lahari - Saveri

Shankarabaranam Alapana
Slokam - Dakshinamurthy Ashtakam - Shankarabaranam
Dakshinamurthe - Shankarabaranam [A] - MD
NS @ dakshiNA mUrtE vidaLita dAsArtE cidAnanda spUrtE sadA mauna kIrtE
Thani

Slokam - Subramanya Bhujangam - Abheri
Kanda Vandharul - Abheri - Papanasam Sivan

Slokam - Bharmha Janavali - Sahana / Kapi / Jinjoti
Sarvam Bhrmamayam - Jinjoti - SB

Mangalam - Final sloka from Soundarya Lahari

Sabash, bale bale bale. Perfect planning. Outstanding concert. Shankara Jayanthi aradhana!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MaheshS wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 02:23
Subramanya bhujangam to the best of my knowledge has been sung entirely by R Vedavalli and Bangalore Shankar. For sure sumitra learnt from vedavalli this intense bhakthi verses and sang part of this as slokha,

musi

Post by musi »

The concert was great. Being a musicologist, Sumithra mami always looks for presenting different compositions and gives importance to the sahitya and the meaning. Mami is certainly the torchbearer of the Mudikondan school of music. However I hope she pays attention to voice aestheticsas At times, the voice quality is poor and the voice is too harsh. Neverthless mami is a musicians musician like her guru vedavalli amma. Bale bale concert

sankark

Post by sankark »

musi wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 06:56 the voice quality is poor and the voice is too harsh.
In this specific concert or in general? I was in the hall and never felt any poor quality or harsh voice at any time.
musi wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 06:56 Neverthless mami is a musicians musician like her guru vedavalli amma.
And the musicians too keep away, mostly. Not only the proletariat. :(

There my hand wringing is done and I have bemoaned that even Mylapore mamas and mamis aren't bothered much to turn up. Now XYZ will go usher in a reform that will bring them in droves. :evil:

May be if it had been announced as RaGa or VisakaHari or Sid Sriram or Sanjay or AR and then switched over? Nah, I don't want to go there lest there is an exodus stampede at the entrances when the screen lifted and/or vandalism and stone pelting angry mobs.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

musi wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 06:56 Sumithra mami...
This is too much (rest of post automatically discounted)! Are you a teenager? What are you doing in rasikas? :D

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

:lol:

Maybe the poster is as many years younger as I am older. But... I think that would mean that he's a child!

To an average-age rasika, she is a youngster. Parivadini will testify re her looks. It might fail to testify as to the quality of her voice. It's technology might not have revealed that it is one of the best voices on the carnatic stage at this time, without any hint of roughness or any such fault. Whether it is the gift of God, genetics, her guru's training, or all three, it is really exceptional and, I think, would shine in any musical genre in the world.

(yes, I am biased... But just for the record, I might say as much about some students of other schools. What a treat to have Brinda one day and Sumithra the next!)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Heard the concert unto Saveri. Fantastic. There is no harshness in the voice as posted by musi.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 06:28
MaheshS wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 02:23
Subramanya bhujangam to the best of my knowledge has been sung entirely by R Vedavalli and Bangalore Shankar. For sure sumitra learnt from vedavalli this intense bhakthi verses and sang part of this as slokha,
Ohh I did not know that, is there any thing online I can listen to? I recently started learning it, and I found one which is a straight forward rendition, which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gPv2rTdefQ. 10 mins.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

musi wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 06:56 Sumithra mami always
Either I am too old, or you too young. I'd probably say she is in her 30's. Sumithra? A mami? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are that young and listen to the likes of Sumithra and Vedavalli mami, bale bale, more power to you! Pristine, no compromise straight forward carnatic music.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The link for Subramanya Bhujangam by Vedavalli Mami is given below. I recorded this from Radio thirty years back.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/649pbj

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

CRama wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 21:48 The link for Subramanya Bhujangam by Vedavalli Mami is given below. I recorded this from Radio thirty years back.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/649pbj
Koti namaskarams. Thank you thank you thank you!

alphakrishnan

Post by alphakrishnan »

Here is a link to T Balasaraswathy's rendition of Subramania Bhujangam

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1mq997

musi

Post by musi »

I dont know the fuss in calling her mami? My brother, my mother and my grand mother call my brothers guru Mami (who is 10 years younger to my grand mother). Many of ranjani gayatris disciples in their late 20s call them aunty. I am 22 years old and I assume I am atleast 12-15 years younger than the vidushi. It was more out of respect and I apologize if you guys felt bad.

About the voice being harsh sometimes, theres either a difference between a live concert and the recorded version or a problem with my ears. In any case this was just my view point. Nevertheless, these flashes of harsh voice are few and far inbetween IMO and lets all just keep calm and enjoy music rather than freaking out over lame stuff.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

musi wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:21 I dont know the fuss in calling her mami? My brother, my mother and my grand mother call my brothers guru Mami (who is 10 years younger to my grand mother). Many of ranjani gayatris disciples in their late 20s call them aunty. I am 22 years old and I assume I am atleast 12-15 years younger than the vidushi. It was more out of respect and I apologize if you guys felt bad.
Ohh no no. You've got the wrong end of the stick. It was *all* in jest, nothing more, no need to apologise. Very happy to know, more power to you as I said before, best wishes.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Actually, musi, I liked the respect for her: she deserves it. But also imagined her laughing at being called mami! We really didn't think that you were trying to make an old lady of her.

And if it had turned out that you were about ten years old, your enjoyment of her music would have been wondrous.Anyway, happy you are enjoying, whatever your age.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

There is this modern convention that I observe in TV shows where a pretty old person addresses even a toddler with respect. Maybe some of us have not moved with times!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

musi wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:21 I am 22 years old
"Akka" will do fine then :D

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

What is the dividing line between 'akka' and 'mami'? I find that people call each other as mama and mami even though they are the same age more or less. The westerners have no problem as mentioning names maybe with Mr/Mrs with surname is considered sufficient etiquette. We must perhaps follow them. I do not think our hoary ancient culture will suffer a serious blow!

arasi

Post by arasi »

As for the male of the species, a generic sAr (sir) suffices. A firangi word used randomly--for someone who is older (respect him or not--it's not relevant), someone of your age too, someone you have known for years, or an utter stranger.The more you drag the distance between s and r, the more evident it is that you need a favor from sir :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

kvchellappa wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 09:03 What is the dividing line between 'akka' and 'mami'? I find that people call each other as mama and mami even though they are the same age more or less. The westerners have no problem as mentioning names maybe with Mr/Mrs with surname is considered sufficient etiquette. We must perhaps follow them. I do not think our hoary ancient culture will suffer a serious blow!
Of course it will! Why this clarion call to ape westerners again when we have indigenously developed a fairly sophisticated system of nomenclature? Or are you being tongue-and-cheek?

musi

Post by musi »

sureshvv wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 08:42
musi wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:21 I am 22 years old
"Akka" will do fine then :D
Lol I think Maami is fine too :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

We do no longer wear panchagaccham or sport a tuft! I saw you once and am sure!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Seems you believe in "Vecha kudumi... Saracha mottai" mama! :D

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I am with musi and music.
I will take whatever is elegant from wherever, like I prefer million, billion, trillion over lakhs and crores.
Nature has made me part kudimi and mostly mottai anyway.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

As long as you don't switch to supporting Uncle and Aunty, we will be OK!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

back in 1950s, a child never addressed an adult by their first name: to do so would have been considered rude, and attracted a rebuke or more. So this is what we had....

Actual relatives other than siblings were called by their relationship title, although "cousin" was left behind in Victorian novels.

Teachers were generally Sir! and Miss! Often including the exclamation marks.

Friends of parents were Uncle or Auntie. As a child who always had an interest in the nature of reality, I found this strange and confusing. And I never saw any need to "Kiss Auntie Someone" when I barely liked the woman! It's not all bad: at least I did not have to suffer having my cheek grabbed savagely or my chin being manhandled. Vive la [cultural] differance! ;) :mrgreen:

Given one or two details, such as the extension of titles to include specifics for elder/younger siblings, and the British restriction of mother/father to actual parents, I don't see that much difference between Western and Indian here, other than fifty or sixty years. Maybe they came to be independently in parallel, or maybe they shared origins with each other?

sankark

Post by sankark »

kvchellappa wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 13:27 mostly mottai anyway.
You are blessed - no bad hair day anyday :)

Whats the hullaballo with this akka/mami/aunty/uncle - storm in the edge of a teaspoon ;)?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thambi, it is rasikas.org: let us enjoy the chance of any storm!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

sureshvv wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 14:46 As long as you don't switch to supporting Uncle and Aunty, we will be OK!
Depends on which Uncle and Aunty! The next generation has sidelined us. I am happy my children call me appa, not a dud!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Nick H wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 14:53 back in 1950s, a child never addressed an adult by their first name: to do so would have been considered rude, and attracted a rebuke or more. So this is what we had....
Let us know how musi would have referred to Mrs. Sumithra Vasudev if he were British. (not addressed in person)

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Nick H wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 15:06 Thambi, it is rasikas.org: let us enjoy the chance of any storm!
Annanukku oru whistle podu :lol: :lol: :lol:

arasi

Post by arasi »

In good old days, SishyAs referred to their gurus as ANNA. Neat! Always liked that! Now they call them by their names. So long as you don't call them names, thambi-s :)
As for us rasikas, we still have the convenience of using their English initials freely and conveniently: GNB, TNS, MLV, DKP...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

kvchellappa wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 15:12
Nick H wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 14:53 back in 1950s, a child never addressed an adult by their first name: to do so would have been considered rude, and attracted a rebuke or more. So this is what we had....
Let us know how musi would have referred to Mrs. Sumithra Vasudev if he were British. (not addressed in person)
Mrs. Sumithra Vasudev!

Or Ms. Or.... Just Sumithra, which is, I think, what most of us here would say.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

arasi wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 18:31 As for us rasikas, we still have the convenience of using their English initials freely and conveniently: GNB, TNS, MLV, DKP...
Off topic and straight from the oor vambu section, according to Sriram's book The Devadasi & The Saint, the fashion of calling people by three or two letter acronym started from Bangalore Nagarathnam who was BNR, called that as she was as big as the locomotive running in one of the old private rail companies called BNR :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Nick,
Thanks. That is what I was trying to suggest in my post, but I have been asked to choose a definite hairstyle!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Shri subrahmaNya bhujangam

mahAbhOdhi tIrE mahApApa chOrE
munIndrAnukUlE sugandhAkhya shailE
guhAyAM vasantaM swabhAsA lasantaM
janArti harantaM shrayAmO guhaM tam.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

MaheshS wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 19:22
arasi wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 18:31 As for us rasikas, we still have the convenience of using their English initials freely and conveniently: GNB, TNS, MLV, DKP...
Off topic and straight from the oor vambu section, according to Sriram's book The Devadasi & The Saint, the fashion of calling people by three or two letter acronym started from Bangalore Nagarathnam who was BNR, called that as she was as big as the locomotive running in one of the old private rail companies called BNR :)
Arasi ji and Mahesh thanks for the interesting reference. In my school days I have seen BNR in big loud speakers provided for sound system in St T's Aradhana. Just rewinding my memory.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
30 04 2018