Vid. Ganesh & Kumaresh, Patri, Trichy Krishnaswamy - Frisco (Dallas) - Subham Foundation & IFAA

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Vid. Ganesh & Kumaresh, Patri, Trichy Krishnaswamy - Frisco (Dallas) - Subham Foundation & IFAA

Post by shankarank »

Lebanon high school - Auditorium.

1. mAyamma - Ahiri - Adi - SrI SyAma SAStri
2. their composition in rAga Aditya
3. a husEni kriti - rUpakam
4. pantuvaRALi - Alapana, a miSra cApu composition - slow fast svarams
5. AndoLika rAga Alapana - rAga sudhA rasa - Adi - Sri tyagarAja svAmi

Intermission / speeches and felicitations, Tea/Samosa/Pakora break.

6. A Bhajan composed by SrI GaNapati saccidAnanda svAmi
7. RTP with notes selected by Audience. Turned out to be dhAtu vardhani - the 69th mELa karta.

Adi tALam - 2 KaLai - no sAhityam was announced - I only remember it as a samam eDuppu of a vervy pURvanga and 7 kArvai.
taniyAvartanam

In the tAnam they played - kAnaDa , varALI and tODi - as those were some requests during rAgA selection before throwing up the note selection.
Ganesh replied tODi with a garaha bhedam to kalayAni - well appreciated by the Audience.

8. Sri rAmA namamu Bhajan with Kumaresh singing
9. Their flights of hanuman composition.

The brothers used a pickup, but I did not notice any of their larger equipment - not sure if they have miniaturized it.

mAyamma was a serene start. Very sweet bowing to render the kriti.

Their composition in Aditya was a Jazzy razzle/dazzle that flew by.

huSEni kriti looked a familiar one. They did not announce it or I missed the announcement.

pantuvaRALi raga Alapana was well done by Kumaresh before Ganesh also pitched in. During the Alapana I could hear the phrase "kAsi rajni kapAlini" at some point. PantuvarALi with their handling was a lilting rAgA , not the usual dry No 3 to pep a concert.

I don't know the composition played - definitely it was not viSalAkshi.

The concert went into high gear with the AndoLika with Ganesh taking the lead. Lot of rakti was shown. The rAga borrows the rakti from madyamAvati and adds the kAruNya in its ndm descent. Lot of long phrases and less of virtuosity. A long drawn Alapana.

rAga sudhA rasa was a majestic rendition. They used its structure very well to show a tight flow and landing. Highlight of their concert.

RTP: A rabble rouser wanted to pick the tALam and was summoned to well of the auditorium as they could not hear him clearly. When they did, they said the challenge would be that he has to keep the tALam and they would do all sorts of things.. and finally able to contain him with " asking for a tALa choice was just asking too much". After rAga calls were made by the audience, they said they could not possibly play all of it.. and offered note selection instead. The rabble rouser was offered the choice - and he said R3. Next a girl (kid) voice selected G2 - to which they said the previous selector knew what he was doing - and he had selected two of them! So G3 it was. M2 - d1, N3 . dhAtu vardhini it was. It was a repeat of the razzle / dazzle of Aditya for a while before they started tAnam in some of the rAgAs shouted out at the beginning - the ones they wanted hear I suppose ;) . That stole the show , what with a graha bhEdam in KalyAni.

Pallavi did not register with me very well. The tani was brilliant between the two of them. I heard khaNDa triSram after the khaNDam when Ghatam was replying.

It was a good concert and an enjoyable drama in the rAga selection.
Last edited by shankarank on 24 Apr 2018, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

PRCM

Re: Vid. Ganesh & Kumaresh, Patri, Trichy Krishnaswamy - Frisco (Dallas) - Subham Foundation & IFAA

Post by PRCM »

The Huseni Krithi was RaghuvIra raNadhIra composed by Saint Thyagarajar
The Pantuvarali song was "Fire and Water", a composition of Shri Ganesh and Shri Kumaresh.

PRCM

Re: Vid. Ganesh & Kumaresh, Patri, Trichy Krishnaswamy - Frisco (Dallas) - Subham Foundation & IFAA

Post by PRCM »

The Day was proclaimed as "GANESH KUMARESH DAY" by the Mayor of Frisco, Jeff Cheney.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Great honor.
Cultural Ambassadors.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarank wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 10:48 The rabble rouser was offered the choice - and he said R3. Next a girl (kid) voice selected G2 - to which they said the previous selector knew what he was doing - and he had selected two of them! So G3 it was. M2 - d1, N3 . dhAtu vardhini it was.
An imaginary flight of fancy:

If only I had mustered enough courage to storm into the well and demand something , how could I have turned it. Immediately after R3 was selected, I would have said no "G". NOTA for Gandharam. That would have atleast made it Sg2M2Pd1n3s, bringing squarely gAndharam back by subterfuge. Then I would have demanded in a new Avatar if I could disguise myself as person 2, that AvarOhaNam must be thrown open for medley. Obviously taking different notes would mess things up. So with most notes intact, you can only add a note and remove 1 may be. With sn3pm2g2R2s, you get Vijaya Sarasvati - Dr HMB's rAga, what would have been a much better outcome.

May be a trick for future venues of their tour of so happens. They could make an Album out of that rAgA! I would buy it.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

21 Apr 2018: Ganesh- Kumaresh Day! Good idea. Congrats, maestros!!

Our Sabhas can take a cue from this.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarank wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 10:48 PantuvarALi with their handling was a lilting rAgA , not the usual dry No 3 to pep a concert.
Trying to remember, the only other instance I felt pantuvaraLi being given the lofty treatment is here: https://youtu.be/86ngKDHZ9CI?t=1402. TVR and the reply MSG even more.

That would make the above concert , with selections like Andolika and a violin follow on for tODi tAnam entirely in grahabhEdam in kalyANI a GNB memorial concert.

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXIyZbHzOh0

at 35.05 Vid Ganesh explains about the concept of the Pantuvarali composition