Ramakrishnan Murthy on April 22,2018 at Swaralaya, Tampa, FL

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sundara Rajan

Ramakrishnan Murthy on April 22,2018 at Swaralaya, Tampa, FL

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Ramakrishna Murthy-vocal
Charumathi Raguraman-violin
Manoj Siva-Mridangam

1. Sri raga
Brief AlApana followed by EntharO mahAnubhAvulu of Thyagaraja - 15 min.
When he started the Sri raga AlApana, I was expecting varNam in the raga. Instead he opened up with the major Pancharathna kriti; TM Krishna's influence ?!
2. ChAyAtharangini- Kripa Joochutaku- Thyagaraja- 8 min.
3. SubhapanthuvarALi- short AlApana followed by MD's Sri Sathya nArAyaNam- 20 min.
4. AbhEri raga-AlApana & violin return followed by AnnamAchArya's
PalukuthE nelathalli-neraval and swara- total 27 min. tuned by NEdunEri Krishnamurthy
5. swAmi mukyaprdhAyini of Purandara dAsa tuned in Yadukula kAmbhOdi by R.K.Srimramkumar- 3 min.
6. SAVERI -AlApana 10 min.+ violin return 6 min. SwAthi thirunAL's
dEvi pAvanE sevE charaNE- 11 min
neraval and swara at sOmabimbha madAhara sumuki- 10 min.
6a. Thani Avarthanam by Manoj Siva- 12 min.
7. HindOLam- sAmajvaragamana of Thyagaraja-8 min.
8. thamizh virtham- petra thAi thanai maha maranthAlum- VaLLalAr's thiru ArutpA followed by
Idathu padam thooki of PapanAsam Sivan in KamAs raga.
9. Rama dhyAna slokam from vAlmiki RamayaNa, describing Rama's coronation
"VaidhEhi sahitham sumadrumatalE"
in Sindhu bhairavi raga followed by
rAmanai tharuvAi of AruNAchala kavi, also in Sindhu bhairavi
10.Thiruppugazh- iththaraNi meethu
11.pavamAna- sowrashtram- mangaLam.

Although I have listened to Ramakrishna Murthy's concerts earlier in the You Tube, this is the first time I listened to him "live". The youngster has a melodious yet masculine voice and enunciates the lyrics clearly and with sruthi suddam and definitely has a bright future.
Charumathi provided excellent violin support, keeping up with every note of the vocalist. Established mridangist Manoj Siva provided good support as well as enjoyable "thani" avartanam.

A very good 2.5 hours concert.
It was well worth the 110 miles drive each way in pouring rain !

This concert adds to my developing belief that a concert CAN BE enjoyable even without any of the major ragas as Bhairavi, KambOdhi,KalyANi, Karaharapriya, SankarAbharaNam, ThOdi or mOhanam etc.
My only regret is that the youngster could have provided extended delineation of another raga or an RTP. Although the concert actually started at 5:25 p.m instead of 5:00 p.m. as announced, it was concluded at 8:00 p.m as announced!
Last edited by Sundara Rajan on 25 Apr 2018, 07:07, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Ramakrishnan Murthy on April 22,2018 at Swaralaya, Tampa, FL

Post by rajeshnat »

Super review sundararajan sir . keep it coming Sir.Lot of points that you mentioned are resonating well.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 04:31 1. Sri raga
Brief AlApana followed by EntharO mahAnubhAvulu of Thyagaraja - 15 min.
When he started the Sri raga AlApana, I was expecting varNam in the raga. Instead he opened up with the major Pancharathna kriti; TM Krishna's influence ?!
Many many concerts Semmangudi Mama has done this kind of start and few GNB sir has also done . This is some thing that you should not attribute to TMK as such it happened much much before. In this generation of Musicians Sreevalsan menon has done very often

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

MLV has also started concerts with Nattai or Sri Pancharatnam.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

The observation about the missing Big Six is interesting. I have been hearing a series of very good Shankarabharana renditions (the latest on veena by Vid. Suguna Varadarajan).

I feel perhaps Shubha Pantuvarali, Yadukula Kambhoji and Saveri (Saveri!) are solid ragas and would have made up for the absence of the big Six.

RKM, to my mind, is a very cerebral musician in the sense he plans the concert list quite carefully.
Abheri, Hindola, and the end game pieces would have perhaps counterbalanced the mood of the heavy 3 ragas.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sundara Rajan,
Trooper you are, driving all those long miles back and forth in the pouring rain! Don't underestimate the 80+'s abilities,folks! More than that, the spirit :) Another cheerleader who would have really savored a concert by Ramakrishnan Murthy would have been Maduraimini. She couldn't make it. I am hoping to hear RKM in person too, hopefully when I am in India. Such good fellow artistes too.
A shame, you two floridans and moi from New England and a few other rasikas missed participating in the Cleveland Utsavam :( iCarnatic's efforts made it happen in the past several years. Hope Cleveland is able to offer us that opportunity again next spring...
The best to RKM, Charumathi and Manoj Siva for the rest of their concerts here...

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

10.Thiruppugazh - ittaraNi mIdil

ittaraNi mIdil piRavAdE
ettaroDu kUDik kalavAdE
muttamizhai Odit taLarAdE
mutti aDiyEnukku aruLvAyE
tattuva meijnAna gurunAtA
satta sorubA puttamudOnE
nittiya krutA naRperu vAzhvE
nirtta jagajOtip perumALE