Ashwin Anand Lec-dem on Gayaki style in Veena

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sachi_R

Ashwin Anand Lec-dem on Gayaki style in Veena

Post by Sachi_R »

I don't know how I had missed this lec-dem conducted and archived by Vid. Sudheendra of Suswaralaya.

Please click on the image to access it.

Vid. Ashwin Anand has a great appeal to lovers of pure veena music without pyrotechnics. His tradition is firmly rooted in a vocal style so he brings a lot of insight into this lec-dem.
His rendition of Sri Muladhara kriti and subsequent treatment of ragas like Sri, Madhyamavati, Mukhari, Latangi etc. are employed lucidly to illustrate his tradition and show his Gayaki approach. And the fine way one can bring the beauty of veena sound to embody Carnatic music.

I have heard a fine TMK concert with his veena accompaniment!

Is it not wonderful that so many gifted youngsters are playing the veena? The only worry one has sometimes is that the spirit, sound, and sense of Veena music is being infiltrated by other electronic sounds. (I shall not give a link but there is a Ravana noise machine played by a vainika!)

Just 2 days ago I heard about how the wonderful indigenous strains of rice from Malanadu region of Karnataka have all become nearly extinct as farmers were lured away by quick growing fertiliser-guzzling "other" rice varieties. The commentator said that this shortsighted approach had eventually destroyed the land, the rice crop and tasty native rice strains, and deprived the cattle of fodder too.

Some wisdom there for vainikas too.

Suswaralaya always does a fabulous job. This video has good sound and video quality, too. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: Ashwin Anand Lec-dem on Gayaki style in Veena

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Echoing the greatness and nuances of classical music.
What a fine artist!

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I have listened to the lec dem for several times during the last couple of days.

Ashwin Anand's renedering of Dikshitar's Sree Moolaadhaarachakra vinayaka in Sri Raaga has been literally haunting me.

And what a demo of Mukhaari!

His vocal rendering has immense resemblance to his present Guru Smt Vedavalli. Naturally.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Sachi_R wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 14:20 Image

I don't know how I had missed this lec-dem conducted and archived by Vid. Sudheendra of Suswaralaya.

Please click on the image to access it.

Vid. Ashwin Anand has a great appeal to lovers of pure veena music without pyrotechnics. His tradition is firmly rooted in a vocal style so he brings a lot of insight into this lec-dem.
His rendition of Sri Muladhara kriti and subsequent treatment of ragas like Sri, Madhyamavati, Mukhari, Latangi etc. are employed lucidly to illustrate his tradition and show his Gayaki approach. And the fine way one can bring the beauty of veena sound to embody Carnatic music.

Suswaralaya always does a fabulous job. This video has good sound and video quality, too. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»
Vid. Ashwin Anand's playing is steeped in classicism. Enjoyed listening to this lec dem. Thanks for sharing!

narayan

Post by narayan »

Heard the first part. Rich material! One question about sri mUlAdhAra. What happened to the prasa in the anupallavi (starts mUla-agnyAna etc.). Is the song perhaps just mUlAdhAra, with the Sri coming on at the end of the line (similar to daksinamUrte in sankarAbharnam)?
Thanks for the pointer and whatever I have heard from this musician is excellent.