R Suryaprakash for NZCMS SU18 2/6/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MV

R Suryaprakash for NZCMS SU18 2/6/18

Post by MV »

Vocal - R Suryaprakash
Violin - Nagai Sriram
Mridangam - Trivandrum V Balaji
Ghatam - Tripunithra Radhakrishnan

1) Sivathraya Maha Ganapathi - Mallari in Gambeera Nattai, Adhi, KS
2) lAvanya rAmA Poornashadjam
3) vAsudEvayani - Kalyani R,N, KS
4) paradEvadA Hruth Kujamba - Dhanyasi KS
5) Ee pariya sObhagu - PD - Ragamalika
6) Saranam Iyappa - Mukhari
7) Sarasa sAmadhAna - Kapi Narayani N & KS @ Hithavu
8) kANa kaN Kodi - Khamboji R,N, KS, Thani
9) RTP - Kiravani Kanda Triputha
;;;; Unadhu Padam Thunaiye...OrAru Mugane
10) Bansi vAle - Swathi Thirunal
11) Venkatachala Nilayam
12) English Note
13) Pavamana and few others ending in Vande Mataram

4.5 hours of unwavering sound and Music :) Review later
Last edited by MV on 04 Jun 2018, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Re: R Suryaprakash for NZCMS SU18

Post by CRama »

MV. thanks for your song list. Looks very impressive. Waiting for your erudite review.
A few corrections. Sivatraya Mahaganapathim- It is not a mallari. It is a kriti in Nata composed by Swarna Venkatesa Deekshitar.
Paradevata Bruhat Kuchamba- Dhanyasi.
Ee pariya sobagava- Ragamalika.

MV

Post by MV »

Thanks for the corrections CRama. You are absolutely right-I have got it written down as Nattai. That is what happens when you put in a list in 2 minutes before you dash out the door for another kutcheri. I have 3 concerts to review, so I'll try and make a start here :)

MV

Post by MV »

RS has what you call a 'vengala kural' and it didn't fade one bit till the last refrain of the Mangalam. Not that he saved his voice in any way- he had plenty to say in each composition be it an alapanai or KS or neraval. Plus, he prefaced every kriti with atleast a token alapanai. Also, he is clearly the output of the Madurai Mani baani. What do they say about that pleasant train ride? The Sarvalaghu swarams, emotive neravals at the most appropriate line all nudged the time along to even more than 4.5 hours I'd guess.

Kalyani is a ragam you have to do well or not at all. RS did a very good Kalyani. But I liked his Dhanyasi even more. Beautiful alapana and a rare kriti appended with some KS was a treat indeed. I haven't heard that PD Ragamalika before and that was unusual sitting in the middle of the concert. But it was also not a thukkada so proved to be a good choice. The next 2 were MMI specials given the full treatment with R, N & KS. V Balaji and Radhakrishnan were explosive in their Thani.

It was an excellent start to Music Season Down Under

rajeshnat

Re: R Suryaprakash for NZCMS SU18 2/6/18

Post by rajeshnat »

MV wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:55 9) RTP - Kiravani Kanda Triputha
;;;; Unadhu Padam Thunaiye...OrAru Mugane
10) Bansi vAle - Swathi Thirunal
Was RTP keeravani a single raga rtp or did it have ragamaliga taanam and/or swaras?
bansi vAlE - mohanam (bhoop) - ST . This is from the maharajapuram santhanam staple.

Mv,
You and fellow kiwis are very lucky . I was thinking only sankritilaya and sifas in sanjose and may be cmana (nj) and toronto have this in the historical past . We have very few in india but looks new zealand is rocking with great music.Kudos to all great folks in kiwiland , looks sir edmund hillary from antha kalthu newzealand is blessing you from the heavens . The fact of succession of kapinarayani(sarasa sama dhana ns) , kambodhi(kaana kann koti rnst) and keeravani RTP with unadhu paadam (single raga??? or multiple raga???)gives me goosebumps.

Mv or sreecons or other folks in NZ,
I just googled to find nzcms website , there is no way to purchase recordings . I would love to have this even if it is for sale for commercial purpose . If any patrons are there please let us (me?) know on how to procure this concert? Keep up your great show-organizers in NZ.

MV

Post by MV »

Rajesh,

RTP had Ragamalika swarams in Srothasvani (he announced), Sivaranjani & Behag. Was a ripper concert in Hamilton yesterday. Will put in a review soon

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:13 Mv or sreecons or other folks in NZ,
I just googled to find nzcms website , there is no way to purchase recordings . I would love to have this even if it is for sale for commercial purpose . If any patrons are there please let us (me?) know on how to procure this concert? Keep up your great show-organizers in NZ.
Just a gentle reminder again, can some one from NZ (either directly or indirectly connected to NZCMS)help me on this. May be MV or sreecons or some one else can add more details.