Nagai Murali & Sriram for NZCMS SU18 3/6/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MV

Nagai Murali & Sriram for NZCMS SU18 3/6/18

Post by MV »

Violin duet - Nagai Murali & Sriram
Mridangam - Trivandrum V Balaji
Ghatam - Tripunithra Radhakrishnan

1) Kanada Varnam Ata
2) Sri jAlandhara - Gambheera Nattai KS
3) BuvinidAsudane - Sriranjani KS
4) NadamAdum nAdan Poorvi Kalyani K. Chapu R, N @ Balakrishnan paada, KS
5) Amba Kamakshi Bhairavi
6) Chetasri Dwijawanthi
7) Akhilandeshwari :)
8) DorakunA - Bilahari R, KS, Thani
9) JagadhodhArana - Kapi
10) Radha Samedha Misra Yaman
11) bArO Krishnayya
12) PalukumA thalli Annamacharya
13) sAgara shayana vibhO
14) Marubaari - Khamas
15) BhAvayAmi
16) BhAgyada Lakshmi

MV

Re: Nagai Murali & Sriram for NZCMS SU18 3/6/18

Post by MV »

I have heard about this uncle-nephew performances but this is the first time I've heard them together myself. Nagai Murali Sir has played Robin to Sanjay's Batman many a times and I guess to numerous others. It was great to hear him talk and sing to the audience as well. That wry humour was always hidden when he quietly smiled as he accompanied many a star, but today it found expression. Now, Nagai Sriram.... he's the one you say 'Not a hair out of place, not a foot wrong, not a finger wavered' Well, he had a couple of slips yesterday-not major, still slips. Maybe because he was happily playing second fiddle to his Uncle and Guru. And I thought 'Ah!!!! The man is human after all' That Poorvikalyani alapana all by himself was .... (you can fill in the superlative).

The class and authority of the duo was evident right from the first note. The KS throughout with all the nadai changes, the 1/4, 1/2s parleyed between each other with a knowing smile was sharp as tack.If you blinked, you'd miss the show :) NM then sang the Charanam for GKB's poorvi Kalyani 'Balakrishnan pAda, Piraman thAlam pOda, Nandi mathalam kooda' And he said, noone is singing, but he pointed to Balaji and said 'Nandi'. Well, the violins did sing all evening. Bhairavi was beautiffuly played but I thought Balaji and Radhakrishnan provided a very nuanced percussion support for that masterpiece.

NM then said there are 2 MD Dwijavanthis, which one would you like. The hall was divided, or maybe not. Because, they said play both. So, the Chethasri quietly morphed into Akhilandeshwari :) NM took off with Bilahari and again the duo showcased all aspects brilliantly. It then culminated in an explosive Thani. Either I haven't heard Balaji before or he has grown in stature. He was on fire. Radhakrishnan on Ghatam was the star adding great dimensions to the thani. As they came together for the theermanam, the Ghatam was thrown in the air 3 times (Balaji has shared the video on his fb page) Unfortunately, the full magic can only be felt when you have heard the 20 minute thani with that aerial display :)

The duo then wound down with some select tail pieces. In the end, what was on display was hours of practice, years of stage experience and a lot of drama. It was not about playing the scale of a Bilahari or Sriranjani or a structure raga alapana. There was pomp and aplomb. A bit like a Royal Wedding. The naysayers may say Why? And I say, Why not!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

kIwi nATTu nangai, nAgai iruvar innisaiyuDan
tiru iruvar tALamum pugzhndiDa--rasithOm!
(Good to read our Kiwiland damsel's review of the super playing of the two nAgais with the sound sounds of the two tiru-s) :)

Sumptuous fare of a long list of items with a double serving of dwijavanthi.

MV

Post by MV »

Arasi Avargale,

Ditto. :D

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MV wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 01:23
6) Chetasri Dwijawanthi
7) Akhilandeshwari :)
15) BhAvayAmi
They say atleast in the forum
Cheta Sri balakrishnam is in dwijAvanthi And Akhilandeshwari is in jujAvanthi.
I am assuming the 15th was only bhavayAmi gOpalabAlam in yamunakalyani and not the swathi bhavayami raghuramam
Great post MV.

MV

Post by MV »

Rajesh yes Yamuna Kalyani Annamaya. I must be more meticulous in noting ragam, thalam etc. With this forum, you almost expect them to hear it from their various locations :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MV wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 09:24 Rajesh yes Yamuna Kalyani Annamaya. I must be more meticulous in noting ragam, thalam etc. With this forum, you almost expect them to hear it from their various locations :)
Not needed at all , being meticulous is just optional .Atleast disambiguities have to be sorted like just saying bhavayami.

MV

Post by MV »

Rajesh yes Yamuna Kalyani Annamaya. I must be more meticulous in noting ragam, thalam etc. With this forum, you almost expect them to hear it from their various locations :)
[/quote]

Not needed at all , being meticulous is just optional .Atleast disambiguities have to be sorted like just saying bhavayami.
[/quote]

8-) :D