K.HARIPRASAD FOR MADHURADHWANI-27/6/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

K.HARIPRASAD FOR MADHURADHWANI-27/6/18

Post by CRama »

I chanced upon the beautiful concert of K. Hariprasad in the you tube. He was ably supported by R.Raghul on the violin and Neyveli Skandasubramaniam on theMridangam and Trichy Murali on the Ghatam. I am hearing this young man for the first time and I thought I should introduce this very good singer to the forumites for I am sure many would not have heard his name or concert.

Hariprasad hails from Kerala and had been a student of Kalakshetra under Salem D. Chellam Iyengar and Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan. Later he had advanced training with V.Subramanyam of the SSI school. He is a very popular musician for dance and he also gives Carnatic concerts. On googling, I could see some other concerts also in yt. I am giving below the link for an article on this singer that appeared in Sruti magazine in 2014.
http://srutimag.blogspot.com/2014/01/hari-prasad.html

The link for the above concert is given below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl6Z1dY3F60 – A totally engaging concert for two hours forty five minutes.

Hariprasad is blessed with a pliable voice that can traverse the three octaves easily and can bring out the subtle nuances, gamakams, karvais, brighas with perfection. There is a remarkable peace in this concert as against the commotion experienced in the concerts of many young male vidwans with a good voice and coming from a reputed school. There is abundant manodharmam, balance, adherence to the sampradaya, and sincerity in execution. Nothing can be called superfluous. The concert starts with a new Behag varnam ( not the one popularised by TRS.) Somebody has mentioned it is by MDR. I don’t know. Natakurinji is the submain (Mamavasada varade) with detailed alapana, Neraval and swarams. Nidhichalasukhama is the main again with elaborate alapana, neraval and swarams. There are other songs like Ganamuda panam, Chalakallaladu, Evarito etc rendered in a chaste style. The accompanists have embellished the concerts remarkably.

This singer has caught my attention a few months earlier for his song in a Malayalam film Swapanam. He had sung a very authentic Natakurinji song – Madhava masamo- See the following link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjUG035yag- Swapanam film song- Madhava masamo

Forumites may listen to the concert and also the Malayalam film song.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: K.HARIPRASAD FOR MADHURADHWANI-27/6/18

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I too watched the live streaming and was very much impressed by the recital. The singer's adherence to the paddhati and an impeccable, unhurried rendering were notable. The neraval @ 'Lalithamanihaara sulalithe maam paahi sadaa' (Natakurinji- Maamavasadaa varadey) and the swaraprastara showcased a quality package.
The 'Semmangudi famed' Tillana was also rendered with all sangatis in place. And an ideal voice.
The accompanists too performed well.

Sadbhakthi12

Post by Sadbhakthi12 »

Is he really young chap? It reads that he has been performing past 25 years in dance music
Last edited by Sadbhakthi12 on 29 Jun 2018, 17:04, edited 3 times in total.

Sadbhakthi12

Post by Sadbhakthi12 »

Salem chellam iyengar passed away in 80s or 90s itself

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

A lovely artist.
Kaniyal Hariprasad - guess he sings more for dance programmers. He has been featured in the past too at madhuradhwani. There are quite a few lovely recordings in YT. Another lovely artist from Kerala is Ambikapiram Sivaraman - he does not perform in chennai 😢😢

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Natakurinji - stunning. An outstanding rendition !

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

And a a soulful Kalyani !
Brilliant !!

Purist

Post by Purist »

Like CRama, I too chanced upon this concert a couple of days back. Fully endorse CRama, there is saukhyam in his music.
Hamsanadha, Nattakurunji and Kalyani all of them dealt in right measure. What stuck me was his use of raga Lakshana pidis
at various stages of Alapana with aplomb. One gets an impression of sincere and straightforward music sans overembelishments.
Good team support makes it a wholesome concert. Kudos Hari Prasad