Parivadini - R.Suryaprakash for Nadopasana - 20th Jul 2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

R.Suryaprakash - Vocal
S.Varadarajan - Violin
Mannargudi Easwaran - Mridangam
K.V.Gopalakrishnan - Khanjira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poF1xX-e0A8

Rupamu Juchi - Thodi Varnam - MD
Sivaloganathanai - Mayamalavagowla [S@mAnida janmam] - GKB
Vijayambike - Vijayanagari [A,NS@sangIta rUpiNi ...] - HMB
Sita Vara - Devaghandari [A] - T
Paamalaikkinai Undo - Hari Kambodhi [N@Tamil Nadu ...] - PS
Kaa vaa Vaa - Varali [S] - PS
Kaligiyunte - Kiravani [A,NS@Baguga ...] - T
Thani
Paramasivadmajam Namami - Yamuna Kalyani - MD
?? - Virutham - Sahana / Sindhu Bhairavi
Venkatachala Nilayam - Sindhu Bhairavi - PD
Vellai Thamari - Bhimplas - Subramanya Bharathiyar
Kandan Karunai Puriyum - - Guhan - viewtopic.php?t=3453
Mangalam

sureshvv

Re: Parivadini - R.Suryaprakash for Nadopasana - 20th Jul 2018

Post by sureshvv »

Good concert featuring both familiar and the rare, making it enjoyable to a wide audience.

The opening varnam was a rare one of MD, in Telugu. The 1st raga alapana of the day was Vijayanagari, another raga taken up only by few artistes.

Paamalaiku inai and Ka va va in succession raised the energy level of the concert and got the audience ready for the wonderful Keeravani main piece. The main was done exceedingly well.

The last kriti of the day was on request, and true to his school SP was glad to oblige even under extenuating circumstances. Kudos!

The accompanists were a gun team - and made their presence felt all the way thru the concert.

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 10:31 The opening varnam was a rare one of MD, in Telugu.
http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/ ... ble_MD.htm ??

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Thank you. It did sound out-of-character for big D :D

There is also this

viewtopic.php?t=8859

Any comments on the post main kriti? That was also a "rare" one.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rUpamu jUci is a go to varNam for the kalAkshEtra dancers - Smt. RDA loved the tAnavarNam so much, she had sAhitya composed for the ciTTasvarams and the caraNa svarams. The original choreography is hers.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sureshvv wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 11:47Any comments on the post main kriti? That was also a "rare" one.
Here’s Rajani’s translation of this kRti:
http://guru-guha.blogspot.com/2008/01/d ... a.html?m=1

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Looks like you let MaheshS's misspelling slide :D

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Suryaprakash@Nadopasana on July 20th 2018
---------------------------------------------
R.Suryaprakash - Vocal
S.Varadarajan - Violin
Mannargudi Easwaran - Mridangam
K.V.Gopalakrishnan - Khanjira

Concert Duration : 2 hours and 40 mins
Sabha : Nadopasana
Day/Hall : Friday/Ragasudha hall

01.Rupamu Juchi - Thodi Varnam - MD
02.Sivaloganathanai - Mayamalavagowla [S@mAnida janmam] - GKB
swaras for 5 mins

03.Vijayambike - Vijayanagari [A,NS@sangIta rUpiNi ...] - HMB
6 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
4 mins neraval sangeetha roopini
5 mins swaras

04.Sita Vara - Devaghandari [A] - T
4 mins alapana and 2 mins violin return

05.Paamalaikkinai Undo(N,S) - Hari Kambodhi [N@Tamil Nadu ...] - PS
brief neraval and swaras

06.Kaa vaa Vaa - Varali [S] - PS
6 mins swaras

07A.Kaligiyunte - Kiravani [A,NS@Baguga ...] - T
14 mins alapana and 7 mins violin return
neraval for 6 mins in bhAguga shree raghu
swaras for 11 mins

07B.Thani for 10 mins
08.Paramasivadmajam Namami(R) - Yamuna Kalyani - MD
2 mins alapana

09A. agalAkillE - Virutham - Sahana + pugilla onrillA adiyen - Sindhu Bhairavi - divya prabhandam. 09B.Venkatachala Nilayam - Sindhu Bhairavi - PD

10.Vellai Thamari - Bhimplas - Subramanya Bharathiyar
11.Kandan Karunai Puriyum - - Guhan - viewtopic.php?t=345
12. mangalam

Nadopasana a great sabha did conduct most of their concerts in PS high school with their founder Nadopasana srinivasan leading from the front . Towards the last few years prior to demise of srinivasan ,they decided to rent the ragasudha hall. Looking in the hall I see that either his brother or may be chennai fine arts muralidharan has taken this sabha and is carrying out nadopasana srinivasan's work . Certainly a nice thing to see that this sabha is still functioning , though would love to have that in PS high school . In any case there would always be some other patron/relatives/music fraternity or nadainbam itself will host concerts in ragasudha hall.Let us not lose PS high school hall for a near perennial concert in mylapore . Best wishes for nadopasana to fly as high as it used to be in 2002 to 2012 timeframe.

The start was a weighty and very long todi varnam . Tiger varadachariar has tuned with more cittaswaras in this rare muthuswami dikshitar, todi's contours are expressed atleast twice more to another varnam like sayerA nApai. The contrast from bit sedate todi to mmg is lovely, mmg and semmangudi can never be musically erased , the joy of swaras like ga pa ma ga , pa ma ga with that distinct semmangudi mmg stamp was lovely start , the thamizh joy of words like mAnida janmam, arpa sugathai gives some iota to my less lyrical mind a chance to appreciate the lyrics penned . Certain subset of gopala krishna bharathi krithis gives run for money for the trinity and sivan krithis and certainly sivalOka nathanai is one of them.

Vijayanagari is certainly a rare raga and certainly ganakaladhara mmi owned with his patented HMB krithi vijayAmbikE .It is indeed a lovely raga a sad tinge of pathos which may give a slighly shivaranjanai lakhya feel is a joy to hear .It is a great prathi madhyama submain than say an overused kalyani or a poorvikalyani. Both the neraval and swaras in vijayakalyani were superb

Devagandhari a slow gait raga has its charm of rakthi , but personallly I need to have more of a mood to listen to that raga . I did not pay that much attention and the subsequent pAmalai was sung well, there was a slight disappointment when he sang a neraval and swara as a sketch. The fast filler kA vA vA was manodharmic but with some lovely volley of bit octave shifting swaras.Fast fillers of suryaprakash have a distinct musical stamp , the sarvalaghu express is not as fast as say a nalinakanthi (manavyAla) or kannadagowlai (orajoopu) or the last thirruppavai oruthi maganai in behag. The sarvalaghu is bit slowed because of varAli nyasa terrain but still with that karudu moradu and different ending of swara aksharams like kA vA , pazhani malai etc it still is great.

The day was a keeravani day for me . The alapana had a slight kvnish start with more shruthi adherence in resting few cycles of ta da ri na in aadhara shruthi just like how mahavidwan KVN does. The krithi was well done . MMI has not sung kaligiyunte and to the best of my knowledge MMI has sung keeravani more as a pallavi like unathu pAdam thunaiyE. To the best of my knowledge even TVS has sung just may be in one radio record the kaligiyunte kAdhA krithi, his concerts had more punniyam oru koti. Keeravani krithi of kaligiyuntE was sung with lovely diction and there was a distinct stamp of superb neraval and more superb ++ swara patterns. I cannot recollect everything now that last 8 to 10 mins post facto when the first round of swaras are over with a round of kanakku is done. The joy starts only with a slight voice throw smooth thrust . The thrust of ri ga RI with a thrust of RI in a smooth sinusoidal voice opening out in sarvalaghu ganakaladhara mode. Then a few sudden burst of long cycles of half avarthana cycles of patterns at times a flash a change of slight octave like ri sa ri GA with varadu getting the same GA glide in succession(the ganakaladhara school is simply too great in singing long cycles of kuraippu) and then that long pattern with no violin return(I wish i can tell how that starts i forgot) . In all of that there was layam and there was definitely no kanakku and that laya pidi with prime raga bhavam of keeravani was superb.

About 12 years back i came to know about paramasivathmajam only thru suryaprakash . I remember that famous Hindustani Music critic rajan panicker (??paricker) made a long mention of yamunakalyani and gave reference to this particular dikshitar krithi paramsivathmajam and put a snippet of suryaprakash singing yamunakalyani. Paramasivathmajam is a lovelykrithi and I am not sure who else has sung this krithi in the past (I would love to hear the previous era paramasivathmajam singers if there is recording pass me a link).

Thukkada viruththam in sahana and sindubhairavi was nice . There was one bheemplas in vella thamarai and with easwaran asking kandan karunai the next bheemplas was sung with that high octave BhEEM PLUS andamAdidum ..arutshudar vEl showed his energy that he can still go for another 3 hours.

The usually brilliant Varadu sings and consistently shadows with his violin.When vocalist sings he does not play a truly zero non obtruser violinist .Even during that lovely keeravani swara return he maintains the same kalapramana flow , what can I say it was Michael Holding(Vocalist) in one end by and in another end Andy Roberts (Violinist).

Mannargudi easwaran knows how to save his energy . He is only proving one thing and sticks to first principles of mrudangam play . He asserts that mrudangam is first a shruthi vadhyam and that was enough for me . The joy of mmg,vijayangari, keervani where the joy was only in one dimension - he played a well tuned shruthi vadhya mrudangam in sarvalaghu was enough. Easwaran was for most time mannargudi nAdhabadran. KVG had a lot of chances and easwaran did not use seniority remote control mute button and KVG gave the right patterns . All said all 4 were in mostly in a serious carnatic flow, their individual excellence only made it collectively

When the alapana of yamunakalyani was sung bit long , I was thinking RTP but it went in as paramasivathmajam. That was my slight disappointment for sure and apart from that I was losing my focus in the zone of devagandhari - harikAmbOdhi.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 40 mins.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sureshvv
I felt in the hall the vocalist volume was lower , did you feel the volume of vocalist could have been slightly more. I just heard the parivadhini recording randomly in some section for just 2 mins , parivadini recording was ok but the hall vocalist volume was bit less. Any thoughts there??

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Yes. I did feel that in the early portion of the concert. Think it got fixed from item #3 onwards.