Bharat Sundar@saraswati vageyyakara trust on July 29th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Bharath Sundar
Violin : Vittal Rangan
Mrudangam : Tanjore Praveen kumar , grandson of Late Tanjore Upendran
Ghatam : Krishna

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Sunday/ 2 hours and 30 mins
Concert Type/Hall : Free concert /NGS Mini Hall
Occassion : Allied Raga Concert - Bhairavi and Mukhari
Sabha: Saraswati vaggeyakkara trust

01. dhalachi nandana (alapana sketch,swaras ) - mukhari -T
swaras for 7 mins
02A. Kunitha puruvamum - viruththam - appar
02B. violin return by vittal rangan
02C. enraikku shivakripai - mukhari -neelakanta sivan

03A. ksheenamai (R N S T) - mukhari - T
14 mins alapana and 10 mins violin return
10 mins neraval yethi jEsi nAthudai
7 mins swaras
03B. tani for 14 mins

04. RTP in bhairavi for 46 mins
kanda jathi triputa - chatushra nadai
Pallavi line - kApAlini trishoolini ,ezhil sindhumbhairavi pAhimAm
11 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
taanam for 13 mins
neraval and swaras for 16 mins

05. krishnam kalayAksakhi - mukhAri - NT
06. mangalam kosalendraya - mukhari
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 Aug 2018, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Bharat Sundar@saraswati vageyyakara trust on July 29th,2018

Post by rajeshnat »

Concerts in non Kutcheri season(Months of May to July) generally has a cyclic pattern . For sure the count of concerts were not that high in years 2010 to 2016 when compared to years say 2002 to 2009 . To an extent in year 2018 chennai is kind of resembling the slightly higher count of 2002 to 2009 during May to July timeframe.

Sunday had few choices , i recollect atleast 2 as of now that I had to skip . K gayathri singing a Pattammmal dandapani yearly homage concert in vanimahal and the Ramnad krishnan centenary concert in ragasudha . Just a pattern of looking at what artists are featured it appears ramnad krishnan series in ragasudha is being organized by a group of artists in ragasudha in the banner Ramnad krishnan centenary series.I am glad that is turning out to be a great feast .vidushi Amrita murali is featured on the same time in ragasudha. But the pull to just hear mukhari and bhairavi is far far higher than anything else and I opted to hear and exercise my choice of attending the thematic concerts of saraswathi vaggeyakkara concert with the beloved mukhari and bhairavi.

The team was young but their music was intensely matured , barring an introduction by bharat for a minute to introduce the theme it was brimmed with sangathis and sancharas . For the theme bharatsundar said he will choose mukhari for krithis and bhairavi for RTP , certainly a very very divine combo for sure , in future even the Ulta can be tried .

Bharat started with mukhari alapana , his voice has power and also there is a kind of bit defensive in ear feeling or in thamizh they say konjam adakindu pAdarathru without sounding tearing your ears. I would not put bharatsundar in melody and melliflousness bracket ,optimistically i am hoping he may get there in say 10 to 20 years from now (his paramaguru OST is still rocking). ANy case mukhari never tears your ears so his brigas just fell very well in my ears . As he started with mukhari alapana , my mind was racing when I asked for a krithi about 10 years back dalachi nandana in this forum. I distinctly remember vasanthakokilam(the mukhari convict) said that number is sung by PS Narayanswamy and he shared the link. I heard very first time this mukhari krithi when one of my acquaintance in office sang that number. I never knew dalachi nandana and I have not heard other than PSN any recording . Telepathy kind of worked with Bharat sundar and he just sang that dalachi nandana as he was in the alapana. I totally forgot how the krithi structure of dalachi nandana was . What a joy dalachi nandana is ,it kind of appeared as a slightly raced enta ninne sabari . Many sangathis did have a type cast as though musiri was slightly racing kanulAra sevinchi and singing dalachi nandana . What a lovely start and the swaras were wonderful , mukhari swaras with extra speed gives an usual nayana pidi .Bharat superbly sung with excellent support from Praveen sparsh (another name for Tanjore Praveen kumar)

THe next was a detailed viruththam kunitha puruvamum. I have heard an alapana followed by a viruththam/slokham then a krithi. I think with vocalist singing viruththam , the violin alapana return by vittal did not appear as a fragmented shuffle . May be this is the first time i am hearing vocalist viruththam followed by violinist alapana. As expected ,The song segued to the master piece enraikku shivakripai , the mukhari vilambit could have been bit more vilambit.

The mukhari alapana as main was quite well done ,i was thinking dikshitar pahimam ratnachala but bharat took his paramaguru Semmangudi(thru PSN) or grand paramaguru Srinivasa Iyer (he has learnt from a vidushi who is a student of OST, who in turn is a student of TMT ) patented ksheenamai. The neraval was well done and detailed .The swaras was also nice , though i expected bit more patterns there.

The bhairavi alapana was well done and the violin return was also clean , certainly bhairavi was very adequately disambiguated with mukhari not one sangathi came in that crossroad . Kudos to both vittal and bharat in flushing completely mukhari out when bhairavi was in as a RTP.The taanam was well done , bharat took a lot of time to ideate with almost equal violin return . I usually think if musicians sing tanam without mrudangam and if they compensate with mrudangam for longer cycles it means a lot .bharat only sang without mrudangam the taanam. Bharat in many places is emulating sanjay subrahmanyan and I am only stating this as a compliment. Bharat''s viruththam at times,his alapana/swaras with podi brigas and also taanam was sanjayish where sanjay sufficiently takes all of that from semmangudi . Sanjay voice texture and Bharat sundar are fairly similar in power with little adakkal sangathis in melkalam . they are not as blesssed as much as semmangudi in mel kAlam.As such the goodness of classicism is not lost across generations.

If my memory is right the pallavi is a TNS popularized one, if it indeed was I wish bharat had given that information to all. Bharat stated that he was initially planning another long pallavi in mishra nadai and he changed his mind to present this pallavi. I would have liked to hear that one in any case he still did great justice . The swaras in bhairavi had a little extra dose of kanakku which i did not like as it kind of move on from kanakku to a longer sarvalaghu to give more bhairavi swarakalpana flashes. At some places in one go he was moving from bhairavi and went into sindu bhairavi when the phrase ezhil sindhum was taken up. He moved to sindhubhairavi in both pallavi neraval and swaras and showed his laya control and the transition from bhairavi to sindhubhairavi was organic .

The last thukkada narayana theerthar krishnam kalayasAkshi (can all NT krthis be called as tharangams, i dont know yet) was lovely , it was way too breezy and fast it was not a slow windup to finish line. The NT was presented in mukhari here i took more time to disambiguate with bhairavi . He asked sabha patron NVS can I sing mangalam for which he said ok and he just wrapped with mangalam kosalendraya in mukhari

Vittal Rangan is really superb he certainly is fitting in the profile of few A kanyakumari disciples like rajeev mukundan and L ramakrishnan . Superb press and intensely classical. If i have one qualm he plays longer cycles in return.Mukhari main alapana was way too long , sweet and classical but was like a typical akkarai subbalakshmi . Also in bhairavi he can bit learn to play very quickly and hand over the baton to the vocalist.

The days hero was indeed Tanjore Praveen kumar . What a control and what naadam , his grand father Tanjore Upendran is a disciple of palakkad mani iyer . I did not hear any tanjore samasthanam in his play , I only heard a pudukkotai samasthanam in many many places especially in mukhari yethi jesi ,swaras and especially first few rounds of tani i was only hearing a Trichy sankaran Jr. Many many years back I used to think Arjun Ganesh and Praveen kumar are the top picks , i did not have much chance to hear Praveen kumar but it looks like in future ,i can exercise my choice to just hear him play. HIs patterns were very fluid and the kalapramAna tightness was intense . I was wondering will he go away from his core mrudangam competency as he has taken up other genres with fusion and sparsh band . No evidence of any adulteration Yet. Since the last time i heard the young krishna he has added far more muscle in his tani his patterns were solid taps and he did not show any obediance angle to the pakkavadhyam in tani.

Special shout out for N V Subramaniam
------------------------------------
The founder patron Shri NVS of saraswathi vaggeyakkara is one of a kind patron . I know he has crossed 80 years of age but he has been conducting with very special zeal. NVS organises these kind of musically meaningful themes , meaningful with atleast 2 special attributes . 1.The vidwan/vidushi should not talk and exhibit the prose and literary skills and instead *sing*. 2.Preferably the organizer has to give time and not show selective bias or get up and say it is 08:30 and wind up. NVS knows the value of classical music concert and the time for pallavi , thank god bharat did not rush the pallavi.

Shri NVS gave time fro 06:30 to 09:00 , that way both krithis and more importantly pallavi was not short circuited. A day before V shankaranarayanan was given sahana krithis and nattaikurinji pallavi as allied raga theme. i wanted to attend that , I even assumed that the nattaikurinji pallavi would be the ever green TRS mama pallavi . I would love to know if some one attended the previous sahana-nattaikurinji thematic concert, please do review in a seperate thread.

In any case NVS sir if you are reading , i am assuming your son whose id is dikshitar will surely read this . Attn NVS let us have a thematic of brindavana sAranga AND (shree ragam or Madhyamavati), vasantha and lalitha , abhogi and shree ranjani etc Sir. These allied concerts are surely a treasure and does give more classical aura.

These 4 youngsters bharatsundar-VittalRangan-Tanjore PraveenKumar - Krishna were musically opportunistic Poojaris who grabbed the classical muse in the mukhari - bhairavi. Special thanks to saraswati vaggeyakkara trust patron who listened patiently from 06:30 to 09:00 PM. We need more sabha patrons to emulate Shri NV Subramaniam .He puts classical music first and not allow thematic concerts to be modelled and telecast in TV idiot box.

Overall an excellent concert with classical muse of bhairavi and mukhari staying intense for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 11:26
The days hero was indeed Tanjore Praveen kumar . What a control and what naadam , his grand father Tanjore Upendran is a disciple of palakkad mani iyer . I did not hear any tanjore samasthanam in his play , I only heard a pudukkotai samasthanam in many many places especially in mukhari yethi jesi ,swaras and especially first few rounds of tani i was only hearing a Trichy sankaran Jr.
I just googled to find that Tanjore praveen kumar was only born later after the demise of Tanjore Upendran. More importantly he has learnt mrudangam from Nellai balaji (for few years) and then for a decade he has been tought by Guruvayur Dorai and his disciple Uzhavur Babu. Guruvayur Dorai is the disciple of Pazhani subramania pillai. No wonder I heard that PSP style. I stand corrected.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks for that erudite review. Rajesh. I wanted to attend this programme. Then settled for the Nagaswaram programme at Arkay, which is very rare.

Kapalini Trisoolini is the pallavi set by TNS Sir. He earlier sang this in Bhairavi . Later on this is the pallavi he used for Bhairavi-Sindubhairavi combo.It was a great feast. I heard twice- once in Bombay and once in Chennai. No wonder Bharath also introduced Sindubhairavi in Ezhil sindum Bhairavi.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

CRama wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 15:59 Kapalini Trisoolini is the pallavi set by TNS Sir. He earlier sang this in Bhairavi . Later on this is the pallavi he used for Bhairavi-Sindubhairavi combo.It was a great feast. I heard twice- once in Bombay and once in Chennai. No wonder Bharath also introduced Sindubhairavi in Ezhil sindum Bhairavi.
TNS & MC Live in Kerala.. Bhairavi / Sindhu Bhairavi, absolutely brilliant.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Looks like a stellar one by Bharath.
Any reason why Huseini and Maanji which are also slightly aligned to Mukhari and Bhairavi were not included in this thematic programme?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

HarishankarK wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 17:20 Any reason why Huseini and Maanji which are also slightly aligned to Mukhari and Bhairavi were not included in this thematic programme?
Occassion : Allied Raga Concert - Bhairavi and Mukhari. Maybe why.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I googled to find that BharatSundar is a student of P S Narayanaswamy.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

MaheshS wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 16:36 TNS & MC Live in Kerala.. Bhairavi / Sindhu Bhairavi, absolutely brilliant.
Thank you for the link. Never seen MC so animated!! Quite the combo here!