S.AISWARYA FOR 102nd BIRTHDAY CELEBERATIONS OF MS SUBBALAKSHMI-16/9/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

S.AISWARYA FOR 102nd BIRTHDAY CELEBERATIONS OF MS SUBBALAKSHMI-16/9/18

Post by CRama »

S.Aiswarya- Vocal
S.Soundarya- Vocal support
Dr.M.Narmada- Violin
Kalladaikurichi Sivakumar- Mridangam
Papanasam Sethuraman- Ganjira
List of songs.
• Varnam- Behag
• Kamakshi- Swarajati- Yadukulakambodi-SS
• Sattaleni dinamu- Naganandini-T (R,S)
• Kaa Vaa Vaa- Varali-PS
• Ramachandram Bhavayami- Vasantha- MD
• Rama Rama Gunaseema- Simhendramadhyamam- ST (R,N,S)
• Thani
• Sediyaya valvinaikal- Virutham-Hamsanandi
• Sreenivasa- Hamasanandi- PS
• Main Hari charanan ki dasi-Meera Bhajan
• Thillana- Desh- LGJ
• Mangalam- BMK

It was a nice gesture of Hamsadhwani, Indira Nagar to celeberate the 102nd birthday of Bharat Rathna M.S.Subbulakshmi in a befitting manner with the vocal concert by her Great Grand daughters Aiswarya and Soundarya. Sangeeta Kalanidhi Chitravina Ravikiran was the Chief Guest for the evening. Sri. Sunder, Secretary, Hamsadhwani and Ravikiran shared their personal experience and anecdotes about MS Amma and thoughts about her music and the path she travelled to attain the glory. The concert started at 7 P.M and concluded at 9 P.M.

I have been watching the progress of Aiswarya since her maiden concert in KGS. Now I find in her, a conscious endeavor to widen her horizon- master the kritis outside the MS repertoire and equip herself to be one among the frontline singers of today and she is working very hard in that direction. The menu of a couple of her recent concerts vouch for the same. A loud Bale Besh to Aiswarya for choosing the Yadukulakambodi Swarajati of Syama Sastri which has been immortalised by her Great grandmother and Grandmother. The rendering of the long composition with 10 charanams was impeccable with the right muse of the raga bhavam, sahithya bhavam and kalapramanam. The first ragam of the day – Naganandini- 30th melakarta ragam- vivadi ragam was rendered very elaborately with precise handling of the vivadi swaras. The rendering of the sole Tyagaraja kriti and the elaborate kalpanaswaras dwelling in D3 and N3 brought out the raga swaroopam very clearly. I have heard the alapana of this ragam only from Tanjore S.Kalyanaraman. Cheers to Aiswarya for handling this ragam remarkably. In the last two concerts, she presented Jyotiswaroopini and Nasikabhooshani. Hence my comment at the beginning of this para.

For the kriti Ramachandram Bhavayami , Aiswarya rendered the chittaswaram which we normally hear in Seethamma Mayamma. I have heard this from some other singers also. Both the songs in Rupaka talam, and start from madhyamam, the chittaswaram lends itself for both the songs.

Simmendramadhyamam was the highlight of the day. The ragam and particularly Rama Rama Guna Seema are synonymous with the great M.S Amma. Aiswarya presented the ragam elaborately in the same pattern of MS- with long akara sangatis, well rounded gamakams and brighas- the kampita gamakams used to the best advantage. The kriti, neraval and swarams also were much appealing.

Aiswarya concluded the concert with the Mangalam composed by Dr.Balamuralikrishna. It has the same tune as that of Ramachandrayajanaka of Bhadrachala Ramadasar popularized by BMK. But Maithreem Bhajata was a miss. I feel that just like she starts with the Om Nama Pranavarthaya slokam, she should conclude with Maithreem Bhajata - the auspicious conclusion which MS had given for eons.

Dr. Narmada, with her infectious smile, commendable bowing, firm grip on the contours of the rare ragams and laya, elevated the concert significantly. Her delineation of the rare ragam Naganandini deserves special mention. Sivakumar and Sethuraman handled percussion with much understanding and support to the young vidushi. Soundarya provided vocal support. She deserves special bale for singing the Yadukulakambodi swarajati without any break or miss or fumble. An excellent concert.

rajeshnat

Re: S.AISWARYA FOR 102nd BIRTHDAY CELEBERATIONS OF MS SUBBALAKSHMI-16/9/18

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:41 • Sattaleni dinamu- Naganandini-T (R,S)

The first ragam of the day – Naganandini- 30th melakarta ragam- vivadi ragam was rendered very elaborately with precise handling of the vivadi swaras. The rendering of the sole Tyagaraja kriti and the elaborate kalpanaswaras dwelling in D3 and N3 brought out the raga swaroopam very clearly. I have heard the alapana of this ragam only from Tanjore S.Kalyanaraman. Cheers to Aiswarya for handling this ragam remarkably. In the last two concerts, she presented Jyotiswaroopini and Nasikabhooshani. Hence my comment at the beginning of this para.
Crama,
I am making an assumption that ms amma has not sung nAganandini. Many years ago when I wrote Abhishek singing naganandini raga alapana and said it was like tanjore s kalyanaraman, mahesh3 corrected me that abhishek naganandini was way different than s kalyanaraman, he even made a remark that skr was not flushing naganandini like abhishek, For sure what mahesh3 told was right which i realized bit later. kudos to the two sisters in taking naganandini ragam.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:41 • Varnam- Behag
• Thillana- Desh- LGJ
• Mangalam- BMK[/b]

Now I find in her, a conscious endeavor to widen her horizon- master the kritis outside the MS repertoire and equip herself to be one among the frontline singers of today and she is working very hard in that direction.
Crama
I am assuming all the above is outside of MS repertoire. I am assuming varnam in behag is by Taala Raaga Swaroopan.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:41 But Maithreem Bhajata was a miss. I feel that just like she starts with the Om Nama Pranavarthaya slokam, she should conclude with Maithreem Bhajata - the auspicious conclusion which MS had given for eons.
Crama
She has given a meera bhajan , sreenivasa tiruvenkata she should definitely end differently . All those who are born in the legacy will be branded for ever that they are only singing like a parrot when they take the legacy of their parents/grand parents/great grand parents.In my humble opinion what Aishwarya and Saundarya did is very nice, a conscious mix of both MS and Non MS in tukkadas is best for her long term career.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

I'm very pleased to learn that Aishwarya chose to elaborate naganandhini and constantly expanding her repotoire beyond MS amma famous ones. Its extremely welcome and pleasing.

Would like to hear Naganandhini alapana

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you so much C Rama for your review. I am indeed so happy that you and Nick made it for the function and concert.

I am thankful to R Sundar of Hamsadhwani and Vedant Ramanujam of Parampara for having worked diligently to make this event a resounding success.

Sanskriti Series (Swati Solutions) deserve a pat on the back for arranging a live webcast which allowed many to enjoy in the comfort of their homes.

We were so honoured to have Sangita Kalanidhi Vidwan Chitravina Sri N Ravikiran as the Chief Guest and needless to mention he spoke so eloquently.

The last concert of my Grandmother was at the Music Academy on 29th June 1997 wherein she was honoured with an award called "Swaralaya Puraskaram". The award carried a prize money of Rs 1 lakh which was donated for the "Mani Mandapam". As was customary this last concert of hers was also a benefit concert with all the proceeds going towards the Manimantapam Project of Kanchi Mahaperiaval. The entire concert is available on YouTube wherein one can see the "Lakshmi" and "Saraswati" Tamburas, the favorite tamburas of my Grandmother which were presented to her by Semmangudi and which accompanied her in almost 75% of her concerts

For the first time (and after 21 years) the two Tamburas "Lakshmi" and "Saraswati" came back to the stage for the concert by S.Aishwarya and S.Saundarya at "Hamsadhwani" on the 102nd birthday of Smt MSS.

I am posting a few pictures from the function for the benefit of rasikas.

Chitravina Sri N Ravikiran being honoured by Hamsadhwani - R Sundar and Parampara - Vedant Ramanujam
All the artists being honoured by Hamsadhwani and Parampara
A picture of the concert - Dr M Narmadha, Kallidaikurichi Sri S Sivakumar, Papanasam Sri S Sethuraman and Smt Ramaa Venkatesh (disciple of S Aishwarya and Sri Vaidyanathan on the 2 Tamburas)
A picture after the concert - S.Aishwarya and S.Saundarya below the picture of their Great Grandmother.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Many thanks to CRama and Cienu for the coverage. Blessings to the entire team.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
18 09 2018

CRama

Post by CRama »

My apologies for not mentioning about Vedant Ramanujam.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cienu
Has ms amma sung naganandini?
Is the first behag varnam by evergreen trs

CRama

Post by CRama »

MS has not sung Naganandini.
Yes. Varnam is the one popularised by TRS.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 00:11
CRama wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:41 • Varnam- Behag
• Thillana- Desh- LGJ
• Mangalam- BMK[/b]

Now I find in her, a conscious endeavor to widen her horizon- master the kritis outside the MS repertoire and equip herself to be one among the frontline singers of today and she is working very hard in that direction.
Crama
I am assuming all the above is outside of MS repertoire. I am assuming varnam in behag is by Taala Raaga Swaroopan.
Ramachandram Bhavayami - Vasanta
This was also not sung by Smt MSS. :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

CRama wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:41 For the kriti Ramachandram Bhavayami , Aiswarya rendered the chittaswaram which we normally hear in Seethamma Mayamma. I have heard this from some other singers also. Both the songs in Rupaka talam, and start from madhyamam, the chittaswaram lends itself for both the songs.
Actually the creator of this Chittaswaram is the great veena legend Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer who had originally created the same for "Ramchandram Bhavayami". :D However this was soon to become a part and parcel of "Seethamma Mayamma"

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks CRama for your detailed and meticulous review, as can be expected from you! Aishwarya makes us proud, the way she's growing in her musical stature. khAndAn might open doors, but hard work and immersion in music are her assets too--right from her childhood years. It has been a joy watching her evolve. Saundarya thrives in all this, also a talented violin player and a promising dancer. Thanks to the dedicated parents and now to Aishwarya's husband for keeping the music in the family aflame--not with just Lakshmi and Saraswathi, but for their sounding with the sisters' vibrant voices.
When there's a good thing, let's appreciate it and give thanks to the great grandmother and grandmother.In this cynical world of ours, let there be more positive things of this kind for us to experience and to celebrate.
And what a team of instrumentalists! Narmada and all, very supportive, no doubt...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Unfortunately I could not attend it this time. :( Great to see successful performance after performance by your daughters @cienu mama!

balakk

Post by balakk »

Sangeethapriya has a few more renderings of Satthaleni, but I like S.Rajam's version as much as SKR's

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/balaji/U ... ajam-Vocal

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Kudos to the sisters. They are wowing the connoiseurs!

s.harinie

Post by s.harinie »

A stupendous concert by Aishwarya it was. I was fortunate to see the live webcast thanks to the organisers. It was a perfect start in Behaag varnam followed by the Swarajati which was wonderfully rendered. Aishwarya sang in a steady kalapramanam and Soundarya matched every swara from note to note especially shadowing her sister in the higher octaves.
Naganandini was totally unexpected. But the way Aishwarya presented the raga without even a semblance of Chalanattai was a phenomenal achievement. The gentle applause at the end of the alapana presentation by Dr Narmadha echoed my opinion too.
Simhendramadhyamam was undoubtedly the main highlight of the concert. The neraval and swarams were fascinating, symbolic of Aishwarya’s quiet confidence.
Take a look from 2.15.00 to 2.22.45.
https://youtu.be/5skOslv6GYg
The Lalgudi tillana in Desh was another rabbit pulled out from the hat and I think Aishwarya sang this for the violin legend on the eve of his birthday.
Dr Narmadha, Sri Sivakumar and Sri Papanasam Sethuraman enlivened the concert with their exquisite support.

malavi

Post by malavi »

Last time I heard. Iswarya in Hamsadhwani when her grandmother Smt Radha was felicitated. In this latest concert I found very great improvement.both the sisters did very well esp. the long swarajathi.Naganandini was too good.she sings with such confidence clear diction and bold voice.it shows her hard work .wishing the girls very bright future.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Just heard the nAgAnandini. Such richness in rAgA singing, kriti rendering and svaraprastAram. Aishwarya handled it all with aplomb, her exposition of it nestled in Dr. Narmada's fine playing.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

*it is admirable that Aishwarya is consolidating her position in the carnatic music front by acquiring all that are required for a singer of substance apart from carrying the huge responsibility of being a scion of the MSS clan.

*Of the kritis rendered, special credit needs to be given to the Shyama Sastri Swarajati in Yadukulakamboji. It is not easy to internalise the 'challenging' uruppadi and render it to perfection and in this regard she has paid rich tributes to the composer as well as MSS and other luminaries in the carnatic music firmament.

Bhuvana Dinesh

Post by Bhuvana Dinesh »

It was a great treat to the HAMSADHWANIANS today on their 102nd BIRTHDAY anniversary celebrations of the ONE and only QUEEN OF MUSIC MS AMMA.

Who else would be able to treat the rasikas with such an open throated amazing singing other than her great grand daughter..

S.AISHWARYA presented a rather fierceful concert.. I should say ... in Tamil the exact meaning as veritthanamaa ..... however here it's used in a positive sense.

But this word will not replace the divinity , soulfulness and depth Aishwarya has in her musicality. No wonder she is from an irreplaceable legendary trait....

A Behag varnam followed by MS Amma's swarajathi of shyama sastri in Yadhukulakambodhi was to the core perfection...

An aalap in the raga Naganandhini with a kriti of saint Thiagaraja with beautifully blended swaras was followed by 2 more songs in varali and vasantha, kavava and Ramachandram Bhavayami respectively..

A deep Simhendramadhyamam was the main piece with the kriti Ramarama Gunaseema of Swathi Tirunal .

Post thaniaavarthanam were a vritham in Hamsanandhi with the song srinivasa, a thillana in Desh and a Meera Bhajan

A melodious violin support by Dr. Narmadha throughout needs a special mention.

Aishwarya was supported by her sister SAUNDARYA in vocals who rendered a good singing in many songs.

Sri. Kallidakurichi Sivakumar and Sri Papanasam Sethuraman on the Mridangam and kanjira played extremely well.

arasi

Post by arasi »

manam onRi (putting her heart into it), kaNNum karuthumAi (with concentrated care) can be substituted for veRithanamAi?? :)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Is there a recording available on YouTube or alike? Would like to listen to the swarajati particularly.
Who is Vid. Aishwarya learning from now?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 18:53 manam onRi (putting her heart into it), kaNNum karuthumAi (with concentrated care) can be substituted for veRithanamAi?? :)
May need to convey the high energy quotient also. Agree that veRithanamAi can be improved upon :D

cienu

Post by cienu »

gardabha_gana wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 11:45 Who is Vid. Aishwarya learning from now?
Dear Srikanth
Please find below the details of Aishwarya's Gurus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Aishwarya

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

what is stated in the wikipedia wrote: S.Aishwarya gave her first public concert on September 16, 2007 on the occasion of the 91st Birth Anniversary of her Great Grandmother Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi, where she gave vocal accompaniment to her Grandmother Smt.Radha Viswanathan
Cienu,
Around that time I , RShankar, I and coolkarni did come and attend a music academy concert where Surjit Singh Barnala presided , is that the same first public concert.If not do you recollect the rough date when barnala presided . On that day there was also the book release of Gowri ramnarayan . That day I met for the first time my bhAi rshankar.

I think the question was more to do with after the demise of your ammA i think the poster wants to know from whom aishwarya is learning . On a side note , is she now even learning from vidushi jambu kannan, the blog is saying has been learning from vidushi jambu kannan. I am pretty sure saundarya is as of now learning from aishwarya :lol: .

cienu

Post by cienu »

gardabha_gana wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 11:45 Is there a recording available on YouTube or alike? Would like to listen to the swarajati particularly.
Dear Srikanth
Kindly find the link below
https://youtu.be/5skOslv6GYg
54.00 to 1.07.35 is the Yadukula Kambhodi Swarajathi.
Please use headphones as the volume pick up is below par.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 13:49
what is stated in the wikipedia wrote: Cienu,
Around that time I , RShankar, I and coolkarni did come and attend a music academy concert where Surjit Singh Barnala presided , is that the same first public concert.If not do you recollect the rough date when barnala presided . On that day there was also the book release of Gowri ramnarayan . That day I met for the first time my bhAi rshankar.
Sep 16th 2007 was the first public concert. You had enquired about this on - MS - Vidwans and Vidushis page link below. (Post no 116) Member Navaneet had done a mini review of the concert in Post 117 and 118.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=202&start=100

The concert you are referring above took place a year later. Dec 13th 2008 wherein Shri Surjit Singh Barnala inaugurated and you, Ravishankar, Coolji and Arasi had come.You have commented on # 19

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7539&hilit=SURJIT+SINGH+BARNALA

It was in this concert that "gAnak kuyil" composed by Arasi was sung for the 1st time. (Link below)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFlzs5xXm4

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 13:49
what is stated in the wikipedia wrote: Cienu,
On a side note , is she now even learning from vidushi jambu kannan, the blog is saying has been learning from vidushi jambu kannan. I am pretty sure saundarya is as of now learning from aishwarya :lol: .
Aishwarya continues to learn from Smt Jambu Kannan even today since 2002. Saundarya learns from Vidushi Smt Neela Ramgopal.

However all compositions pertaining to the MSS legacy, Saundarya learns from Aishwarya