S Sowmya, TMC, 23/Sep/2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

S Sowmya, TMC, 23/Sep/2018

Post by sankark »

Tambaram Music Club, in Shankara Vidyalaya Auditorium

SSowmya with VShubhasri, EmbarSKannan,PoongulamSubramanian

jalajAksha ninnEdabAsi hamsadhwani varNam s@charaNam
gajavadana bEduvE
suddhadhanyAsi entha nErchina s@pallavi
EkAmrEsa nAyikE shivE
En paLLi koNdIrayyA out of the world. Very nice sangathis in the En itself playing with the nedil; great kodukkal n vAngal by SS & EK in kaLaiththOm dEviyaiththEdi iLaiththOm

sankark

Re: S Sowmya, TMC, 23/Sep/2018

Post by sankark »

hamsanAdam pAda vEndume isai paAdavEndume
thAyE tripurasundari. dIkshitars (karnAtaka)shuddasAvEri earlier and now the currently in vogue shuddasAvEri.
madyamAvathi started so well. what to hurry for? Let's savor sip by sip kind of pace

About 1:20hours so far and none of he major 5/6, for that matter none sung so far or sampoornam. But one doesn't feel any lack of grandeur. Music.

sankark

Post by sankark »

pAlimsu kAmAkshi pAvani ns@kAnthamagu pEru ponditivi kAruNyamUrthivai jagamu tani
vA vElava thamiyEnai
krishna kaho
mangaLam

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Look forward to your review, sir

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

How was her voice? She had a vidwatpoornam concert in Bangalore, despite some voice challenges. Sowmya's concerts meet a particular standard. She sang a padam on request :)

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

sankark,
I am not sure whether we know each other or met anywhere earlier!
I was at this concert too and was the one to take photos of the artists as well as audience (during the Madhyamavati). Perhaps you are able to locate me now! It is a real miss. Being a resident of Chromepet, I attend the 'occasional concerts' of Tambaram Music Club once in a while.

When I posted about this concert briefly in facebook, Lalitharam (Parivadini) was quick to respond if it was an 'all five notes' concert. Nice of you Ram for that - something which did not strike me. Yes, Hamsadhwani, Gambhiranata, Suddhadhanyasi, karnatakasuddhasaveri,Hamsanadam,Mohanam, Suddhasaveri, Madhyamavati...... are all Oudava ragas. I don't know about the last two numbers (post Tani) as I had to go out for some time and returned when it was ringing mangalam. sankark, could you please help?

The recital was marked by very good aalapana of Suddhadhanyasi for Enthanerchina and Hamsanadam (Paadavendume of Dandapani Desikar). Kalpanaswaras for Enthanerchine were good.

Particularly in Aen pallikondeerayya, Soumya offered several intervals for Embar to supplement or compliment with attractive phrases - a good innovation at that (Aptly described as Kodukal-Vangal by sankark). Embar was at his soulful self.

Placing Madhyamavati just after Suddhasaveri (Taaye tripurasundari) perhaps affected the contrast aspect. However Palinchu kamakshi was alright. Poongulam Subramaniam played a compact Tani and his accompaniment was supportive throughout.

A Sunday evening of good music.

sankark

Post by sankark »

gardabha_gana wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 22:29 How was her voice?
It was actually pretty good today except in higher octaves at places.

sankark

Post by sankark »

vA vElava in sivaranjani, oudava rAgam
That mIrA bhajan: no idea of the rAgam & it's oudavathvam

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Thanks sankark, for the details.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thaanks Sivaramakrishnan and Sankark for the review of what it looks a enjoyable concert.

En Palli kondeerayya- was it rendered in the patantharam of NC Vasanthakokilam who popularised it. Was the charanam Madurayile rendered in kapi. I would like to know.

sankark

Post by sankark »

CRama wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 13:19 En Palli kondeerayya- was it rendered in the patantharam of NC Vasanthakokilam who popularised it. Was the charanam Madurayile rendered in kapi. I would like to know.
No, maduraiyilE stanza wasn't sung.