Amritha Murali@SKGS on Sept 25th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

--------------------------------------------
Vocal : Amritha Murali
Violin : BU GaneshPrasad
Mrudangam : B GanapathyRaman
Ghatam : N Guruprasad

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow ;Ticketed concert
Day/Duration : Tuesday/2 hours and 15 mins
sabha/Hall : SKGSMini - KamakOti hall as part of Gokulashtami Series

1A. slokham -sadguru bhAjasya vAni - suddaseemanthani??
1B. jAnaki ramana (S) - suddaseemanthani - T
4 mins swaras

2. nE nendu vedukara(S) - karnataka behag - T
2 mins swaras

3. parama purusha nirumpamanA (R N) - shanmughapriya - AC
8 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
neraval in chatur moorthi chatura ... shanku chakra for 6 mins
4. vana bhuvi govindam (R,S) - kannada - NT
5 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return
4 mins swaras

5. bAlakrishnam bhAvayAmi- gopikAvasantham - MD
6. parvati ninnu - kalgadA - SS

7A. kaNDe nA uDupiya krSNarAyanna(R,N,S,T) - kAmbOdhi - PD
11 mins alpana and 8 mins violin return
neraval in purandara vittala pAda for 8 mins
swaras for 5 mins
7B. tani for 13 mins

8. oruthi mAganai - behag- andAl tiruppavai
9A. slokham - kasturi tilakam - valaci ?? + gOpastri -sindhubhairavi + vijayathE gOpAla - kApi - Sri Krishna Karnamrutham by Leela sukhar
9B. jo achyutAnanda jo jo mukunda - kApi - AC

10. bruhi mukhundEti - kurinji - sadasiva brahmendrA
11. ramachandrAya janaka - kurinji?? - BR

rajeshnat

Re: Amritha Murali@SKGS on Sept 25th,2018

Post by rajeshnat »

Atleast may be it is 4 to 5 months since i heard a weekday concert, i was lucky to be in the mambalam belt bit early and got settled with the lovely canechair skgs kamakoti hall. There was one more in mylapore belt where anahita and apoorva are presenting concert on MLV, i skipped that to attend this .

Amritha Murali started her concert with a lovely slokham. I think the slokham had lines on SharadAmbAl ,the raga was very aesthetic could not map it immediately but as she jumped to janaki ramana i got the raga. Janaki ramana and krithis of that suddaseemanthani typecast are very dear to me, there is a little higher share of nayana piDi and Amritha presented the sudda seemanthani very well . She being second generation semmangudi disciple ,the nenandu vedakura of their school came next , the pattantaram was extremely semmangudish, the raga karnataka behag and harikAmbOdhi are very close . I am assuming the raga that amritha presented was only karnataka behag .

Shanmughapriya alapana came up next , the detailed alapana indicated that it would be submain. Shanmughapriya typically requires a bit more higher share of vocal throw and to me amritha did not present with that much aesthetics . I was not aware of the AC krithi and she presented it in a clean fashion. The neraval in shanmughapriya was quite detailed she could have gone more , but she did not . There were no swaras in submain shanmugapriya which was certainly bit disappointing.The next vanabhuvi govindam with a fairly detailed alapana in kannada was very nice , i have not ever heard this rare NT krithi and the swaras were measured and kannada indeed came out well.

Two fillers came in both were standalones without any embellishments like swaras .The gopikavasantham with rare MD krithi was nice but the kalgada was not showcasing that much she could have cut that i guess she included to give a tick mark to the third trinity shyama sastri. Kambodhi as a main requires bit more vocal muscle . There were few sanchara pockets in kambodhi alapana where she sang with verve. A rare PD krithi which i have not heard unfolded. Neraval and especially swaras did not register that much in me , the main was not MAIN. This PD kAmbodhi krithi was not showcasing that much aesthetics.

Behag tirruppavai oruthi maganai was a quick closure and was well received .For me the best number that she presented was indeed the slokham kasturi tilagam and the follow up in KApi. Ms amma and amritha murali bit blurred and she presented very well the jo achyutananda . bruhi mukundethi was just ok and the last bhadrachalam ramadasa krithi closure was well done.

The violinist BU ganesh prasad was perhaps giving more longish returns, his bowing had the usual great presss and strength. The mrudangist Ganapathyraman was kind of not uniform,i felt he could have played with bit more aggression atleast in first half . Guruprasad played nicely and his patterns had more variations and energy than ganapathyraman. I did not concentrate much on their tani.

Amritha Murali has sowkhyam , her madhyama kala and voice strength in mandara sthayi is very appealing and has improved since the last time I heard . I am assuming shanmughapriya as submain and KambOdhi main atleast needs on the performance day far more vocal muscle , she had a bit of fluctuating energy . At times her depth in music was not felt by me as voice is not opening out. She indeed prepared very well to present a wide canvas of composers but I would have preferred bit more musical elaboration in atleast submain and main.

Overall a very good concert for 2 hours and 15 mins.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 15:58

Amritha Murali has sowkhyam , her madhyama kala and voice strength in mandara sthayi is very appealing and has improved since the last time I heard . I am assuming shanmughapriya as submain and KambOdhi main atleast needs on the performance day far more vocal muscle , she had a bit of fluctuating energy . At times her depth in music was not felt by me as voice is not opening out. She indeed prepared very well to present a wide canvas of composers but I would have preferred bit more musical elaboration in atleast submain and main.

Overall a very good concert for 2 hours and 15 mins.
Not sure what is the criteria used to rate the concerts as good / very good / excellent / ugly etc..

with the comment as in quotes above and the write up, i dont understand how the final rating is very good :shock: :shock:

looks to me that there is no consistency in assessment. It is better that the review is left without a final remark/rating, which to me makes no sense !!

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

"Ganapathyraman was kind of not uniform,i felt he could have played with bit more aggression atleast in first half . Guruprasad played nicely and his patterns had more variations and energy than ganapathyraman. I did not concentrate much on their tani."

Ganapatiram is a great mridangist whose style is very much similar to Vellore Ramabadran, soft ans subtle drumming. What and where is the need to be aggressive in playing - CM is not pop music to have high sound decibels and result in cacophony !!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Amrutha Murali sang well. But the problem that day was her voice needed more amplification. So her voice did not come out fully. I have heard her concerts earlier. But this one suffered because of less amplification. Minor nuances could not be heard. She asked for more volume of Violin and Mridangam. But her volume was affected in the deal.

The sub main Shanmugapriya- raga was delineated well. The kriti of Annamacharya popularised by MS was presented with all the sangathis in tact. The neraval at Chaturamuruti chaturabahu was also mostly on the lines of MS. But she could have added a few rounds of swaras there.

The main song in Kambodi- it lacked the weight for a main song.

Jo Achutananda, again another song popularised by MS, was rendered very well.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

A very rare instance where the vocalist pleaded for more volume for accompanists!!

Now a days artists ask for various sound adjustments mainly for the monitor (kept on the platform) the output of which is available to them only. Ultimately what reaches the listener does not seem to be their concern. However a few artists ask the audience of the 'volume balance' but even there the response won't be uniform.

In these days of digital amplification and balancing, it must not be a problem for the 'soundmen' to calibrate the system to enable perfect output for artists as well as audience.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Ganapatiram is a great mridangist whose style is very much similar to Vellore Ramabadran, soft ans subtle drumming. What and where is the need to be aggressive in playing - CM is not pop music to have high sound decibels and result in cacophony !!
[/quote]
May be the reviewer is thinking of his beloved RTP and pop music to be similar☺