SRIRAM PARTHASARATHY IN KGS- 27/9/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

SRIRAM PARTHASARATHY IN KGS- 27/9/18

Post by CRama »

Accompanists
Vittal Rangan- Violin
N.C.Bharadwaj- Mridangam
Chandrasekara Sarma- Ghatam
List of songs.
• Avare Guru Bhagavan- Arabhi- (S)
• Brovabharama- Bahudari- T
• Sada enna hridayadalli- Panthuvarali- Vijaya Vittala dasa (R,N)
• Sakalagraha bala neene- Athana- PD (S)
• Govardhanagireesam- Hindolam –MD (R,S)
• Madhava mamava deva- Neelambari- NT
• RTP- Dharmavathy- Adi talam- Chatusram and Khandam in alternate fingers.
• Pallavi- Madhura Murali Gana Rasamritha panam
Seyave manasa
RM- Durbari, Begada, Brindavani.
• Thani
• Chalo man Ganga Jamuna kinare- Marubehag- Meera bhajan
• Vanamali gadee saankhee- Slokam- Suruti, Saveri, Behag
• Thillana- Behag -PS.
• Mangalam

This is the first time I have listened to a live concert of Sriram Parthasarathy although I have heard a few of his vocal and veena concerts over AIR. Last year, I happened to hear a mini concert in BVB Mini hall- not very impressed. Actually, I did not take him to be a serious Carnatic musician. I know he is a disciple of NSG. But he is not featured in Carnatic concerts that very frequently. May be he is not able to give more time for Carnatic because of his preoccupation with film music. But this concert was excellent.

Sriram is endowed with a powerful voice that has got range, depth and modulation. He has got sruti sudham and patanthara sudham besides laya control. The opening song I don’t know who is the composer. He did not announce. But it was good having chittaswaram and the swaras were icing on the cake. The Panthuvarali kriti was popularized by Maharajapuram Santhanam. TNS used to render this as a post tani piece in the ragam Behag. The raga alapana was well presented and the neraval was elaborate. Like many musicians today, he too eschewed swaram after a torrential neraval at the lines Ninna naanu biduvanalla. He compensated that in the kriti Sakalagraha bala neene.

Before taking up the next kriti, the violin was changed. The alapana of Hindolam was sumptuous- with his voice reaching upto mel dha and his manodharmam riding high and the Muthuswami Dikshitar kriti was presented nicely with proper intonation of the sahithyam. The long akara sangatis, flourishing brighas, and select HM sangatis made it very attractive. This song normally gets only a filler slot. It was given the main song treatment and the kalpana swaras on the madhyamakalam phrase ramaneeya mukhabhasam were intelligently presented with porutham, swarkasharam etc and with attractive phrases.

Without wasting time, he took up the RTP in Dharmavathy. The ragam was presented in two stages. All the elements of the pallavi- tanam, trikalam, elaborate neraval, swaram were given due importance. The percussion joined during tanam. The talam is a tricky one. In Adi talam, one finger is chatusram and the next is khandam- thus chatusram and khandam alternating. I have never seen such a talam even in Pallavi Durbars. But it was handled with aplomb by the entire team and the RTP took 40 minutes.The ragamalika swaram revealed his expertise in the HM idiom also.

Sriram was giving the concert sitting on a chair. I later came to know that he is having back pain and hence not able to sit on the floor. Such a fine singer and young age. Pray God that he should recover fast and come out of this setback.

Vittal Rangan, the vidwan from Bangalore and a disciple of Vidushi A.Kanayakumari is fast emerging into a consummate violinist. His raga alapana of Hindolam was remarkable with mellifluent bowing and fingering techniques and his quality of bringing the raga swaroopan with the minimum strokes need appreciation. His tanam had very nice patterns and was enjoyed well by the audience. His swara returns for the RTP was also enjoyable.

N.C.Bharadwaj played his role excellently. His anticipation, and embellishment of the kritis were remarkable. He had sunadam, clarity, variety of strokes and admiring capacity of filling the gaps with his uruttal strokes and Sriram gave him enough gaps to showcase his talent. This came more pronounced in the kriti Sakalagraha bala neene. Chandrasekar sarma. Tani in this tricky talam was rendered with precision and verve, the audience applauding for each segment. Sriram too complimented the percussion team for their enormous caliber.

The huge audience for the concert was a proof for his popularity. This concert attracted maximum audience in this series. An excellent concert for two hours fifteen minutes.

rajeshnat

Re: SRIRAM PARTHASARATHY IN KGS- 27/9/18

Post by rajeshnat »

crama
Another RTP sung when i am not there in skgs . I am assuming the first arabi could be one on Ramana Maharishi (Avare guru bhagavan in Arabi), no idea about the composer. I liked what you wrote about both vittal rangan and also another sensation NC Bharadwaj.Love musicians who push RTP and also find time to give a ragamaliga slokham/viruththam. Sriram Parthasarathy has indeed a great throw.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: SRIRAM PARTHASARATHY IN KGS- 27/9/18

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Happy to note that Sriram Parthasarathy gave a wholesome concert with a nice selection of songs. I could not attend this concert though I don't miss any of his. He is a highly talented vidwan with a say (voice?) in almost all genres of music. Many of his film songs have been huge hits.

Well, I am doubly glad that he has rendered this concert without any unwarranted innovation like the one he did at Arkay Convention Center a few months back. He delineated Nasikabhushani and followed it up with the sahitya of Dikshitar kriti Santhanamanjari (supposed to be sung in Santhanamnjari raga) but tuned to Nasikabhushani. I wrote about it in this forum and elsewhere but there was no response from the singer. No professional artist was willing to comment on it too.

Coming to his excellent talents, I would like to make a special mention of his song 'Áganthaiyil aaduavadhaa aadarkalai' for the Tamil movie 'Uliyin Oasai' released a decade back with music direction by Isai gnani Ilayaraja. Set to an aesthetic Rasikapriya, the first stanza has an incredible grahabheda to Mayamalavagoula so naturally and emotionally rendered by Sriram. As the film didn't run well, the song too missed notice of many a rasika. It is available in YouTube.