TMKrishna in Bay Area

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

TMKrishna in Bay Area

Post by thanjavooran »

30 09 2018 . Sunday

TM Krishna . Vocal
Sriramkumar Voilin
Arun Prakash . Mirudhangam

Few points as noted by my grand daughter who attended the concert are given below . As usual not complete. More detailed review is expected from our learned forumites who enjoyed the concert.

Maya malava gowla elaborate Niraval for 30 mts
Anandha Byravi . Thyagaraja yoga Vaibavam
Sahana . Nagore Aandava . Niraval . Ealelo Ailasa ?
Allah song in Varali
Mukhari Ragam was elaborate by Sri Ramkumar in response to Kambodhi by TMK
Thani
Kaanada . Pallavi without Thanam . followed by Nalina kanthi and Neelambari
Kamaz . Mathe

Few observations
Oh . TMK was in a new attire. Coloured shirt and Lungi.
Sriramkumar tuned all the three Tamburas so tightly - they sound like one.

Some comments from elders overheard
'
TMK wakes up in the morning and asks himself - what would Ariyakudi do? And then does the opposite!

Few activities reminds me of a Flute genius in early fifties. '

Though cool with songs in praise of other Gods, wearing Lungi to a concert is an insult to patrons who have come in decent dress.'

Thanjavooran
01 10 2018

arasi

Re: TMKrishna in Bay Area

Post by arasi »

"He wore lungi to the concert"...
Was it to make a statement that clothes do not a concert make--the same as in his feeling that singing items in order is unnecessary?
Or, was it to highlight his song on Allah?
No big deal. How he sang is what is important. Hope it was a very good concert and folks didn't get distracted by what he wore...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

<joke based on fake-news elided>
Last edited by sureshvv on 01 Oct 2018, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Pallavi line suggestion:
न्यायालयखण्डितं अय्यप्पमण्डितम्।
लुङ्गीवेष्टितं कृष्णलीलाचेष्टितम् ॥

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

--
Last edited by ram1999 on 01 Oct 2018, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

---
Last edited by ram1999 on 01 Oct 2018, 11:07, edited 2 times in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

For the record, he was wearing a blue silk dhoti, not a lungi #fakenews.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

-

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sachi_R wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:19 Pallavi line suggestion:
न्यायालयखण्डितं अय्यप्पमण्डितम्।
लुङ्गीवेष्टितं कृष्णलीलाचेष्टितम् ॥
Translation:
While the court denounced Ayyappa's stance (pun intended),
The lungi was worn and the prank played out as a part of "Krishna" leela!
😀

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Remember that when Mahavishnu stirs from his Yoga nidra, something is afoot!
I was once a guest of the Chanku lungi family of moplas in Thambu Chetty Street (very educated and rich family).
They discoursed to me on the uniqueness of the lungi. It is patterned and often stitched (verboten for orthodox Br...) and has no border (verboten).

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

-

natarajan_rasika

Post by natarajan_rasika »

The first Neraval at MMG was "dEvI shrI tulasamma" Neraval at nIvulEka shankari

Just before the Khamas was a nice rendition of Sri Nathadhi Guru Guho - MayamalavaGowla. It was requested by my son and he obliged. He did mention that he would do it only if it was a childs request or else it was banned.

Good singing but the hysterics are very distracting.
Pallavi line was "ThanNambikkai Indriya Vazhvillai Manidha Unardhiduvai"

After the Varali song was a song I think in Kamavardhini composed by his friend Verinoca Angel. Song name was Smarana Sundara.
The Neraval was Yelelo Ailasa. My feeling here is that these things are being done just for the sake of doing or to provoke someone. Think of it like listening to a Marathi song where we dont understand but enjoy the music. No idea of language but the music sounds good. Why, even I make up some tunes with some commonly used terms at home or fun phrases to get the message across to kids. But the whole exercise is kiddish. And I think that is the case with TMK too. Just trying to prove a point. Unfortunately, we understand the song and that takes away the enjoyment....

Enjoyed the music overall . Didnt realize he actually sang for 3.5 hours.

natarajan_rasika

The AnandaBhairavi TMK noted was based on Dikshitar's school and hence sounds different from the usual AnandaBhairavi we are used to listening.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

natarajan_rasika wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:22
After the Varali song was a song I think in Kamavardhini composed by his friend Verinoca Angel. Song name was Smarana Sundara.
Oh please. This was smara sundarAnguni in Paras by sri Dharmapuri subbarayar.

natarajan_rasika

mahavishnu wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:36
natarajan_rasika wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:22
Oh please. This was smara sundarAnguni in Paras by sri Dharmapuri subbarayar.
I see. Apologies for the mistake. Then which composition was by Veronica Angel?

chandru1

Post by chandru1 »

natarajan_rasika wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:43

I see. Apologies for the mistake. Then which composition was by Veronica Angel?

The "Elelo" song, to my knowledge, is the one by Angel.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

mahavishnu wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:06 For the record, he was wearing a blue silk dhoti, not a lungi #fakenews.
may be he is going to sabarimalai to celebrate recent supreme court ruling, hence he is wearing blue color dhoti ??

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahavishnu,
Good to hear from you :) and to know that TMK wore a dressy vEshTi after all. No review from you, though :(
The youngster and grandpa from across the seas make a happy pair in their interest in CM. To the US born youngster, a lungi perhaps is not a familiar object. Even some oldsters around her thought so (kaNgaL manga...)?
No fake news, this. Hope the youngster reports on many more concerts.

Thanks for the review, Natarajan _rasika. Sounds like a good concert...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Was the pallavi line: tannambikkai illA vAzhvillai, manidA uNarndiDuvAi? Arun Prakash's line?

natarajan_rasika

arasi wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 20:50 Was the pallavi line: tannambikkai illA vAzhvillai, manidA uNarndiDuvAi? Arun Prakash's line?
Yes. This was Arun Prakash's line

natarajan_rasika

Jagadodharana was also rendered as part of audience requests.
He concluded the concert with a Nottuswaram (Kamalasana Vandita).
Just before this there was an announcement on how this tour became very "interesting".
Since there was no mangalam, audience took a minute to realize the concert was over. The standing ovation came later than expected.
I did not know about the carnatic kutchery format until a few years back (precisely when TMK decided to reject it). But letting the audience know when things are done would be nice.
I also noticed a lot of movement/exit after he announced the Viruttham, few people did come back. But hall was emptier than what we saw for another Vidwan concert two weeks earlier.

natarajan_rasika

Arun Prakash's mridangam is so sublime and so much in the background. Very soft touches and just loud enough to accompany. I need to watch him playing for other artists and observe if this he plays this way only for TMK or others too

arasi

Post by arasi »

Kindly expand the title of the thread to include the date and venue. Also a picture please, so that we can have a glimpse of the sartorial part of the concert :)
Nice of TMK to sing your son's request. I bet he was thrilled. TMK also accommodated requests from adults! Good to hear that...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Mahavishnu ,
Thanks for clarification

Shr Natarajan,
Many thanks for additional Inputs.

Arasi ,
Namaste !

Thanjavooran
02 10 2018

adambakkam

Post by adambakkam »

thanjavooran wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 09:09
Kaanada . Pallavi without Thanam . followed by Nalina kanthi and Neelambari
Kamaz . Mathe

Basically you mean he sang a krithi without anupallavi and charanam??
Secondly, Is your spelling Kamaz intended to rhyme with Namaz??

natarajan_rasika wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 22:05
Since there was no mangalam, audience took a minute to realize the concert was over.

The Neraval was Yelelo Ailasa.
Or may be he sung mangalam to begin the concert and you missed it?

Did the accompanists start rowing in the air during Yelelo neraval??

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

I was fortunate to catch the TMK+RKS+AP concert last weekend. As always, the trio delivered a splendid show; kudos to Bay Area’s Sankrithilaya for hosting yet another memorable one.

A couple of comments:

I don’t think TMK actually sang the Veronica Angel song; he changed his mind and moved on to Paras.

Arun Prakash’s Thani requires a special mention. Wonderfully subdued Thani, without the usual bang-the-drum faranze strokes and theatricals.

I’d have to agree with many of the quirks mentioned above: “singing Varnam at the end”, “starting off with an elaborate main piece with 15-min nereval”, “T and P but no RTP” or “no mangalam close”. Rebel in TMK is just trying to make the “I wanna be unorthodox” point, nothing more.

Re. Attire - Dressy Color Veshti Vs Lungi - let’s just agree that it was different. It looked distinctively lungi from the 4th row in the theatre ;), but it didn’t matter to me. Candidly, if we were to talk about this, Vidwan is gonna level up, by wearing a baseball cap next time. Overlooking his quirks and enjoying the music is perhaps the best win-win ;)

TMK gave a speech on how the tour became “interesting” and such.. Frankly, I didn’t sense any audience uneasiness over “Nagoor Aandavane” or “Ealelo Ailasa”. Bay Area appeared to have thoroughly enjoyed the melodies in Sahana and Varaali (at least I did).

schandi

Post by schandi »

"I don’t think TMK actually sang the Veronica Angel song; he changed his mind and moved on to Paras. "

The Ailasa song you mentioned is the Veronica Angel song that TMK announced right after he sang it.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Sounds like a far cry from one of my most memorable TMK concerts during SIFA 25 in 2004(?) in the bay area where he started with a varnam. IIRC it had RTP in sankarabharanam, main was Saveri (Sri rajagopala) and sub-main was Sahana (Giripai). Those were ariyakudi format concerts....

Good to see you Mahavishnu... TMK has left me behind and gone into his explorations.... someday I will catch up with him, meanwhile I will enjoy the Ariyakudi format concerts. Enjoyed half a concert by Vighnesh Ishwar - TMK's disciple who was substituting for RKM who is down with dengue at the last minute. Will write about it....

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Now that TMK has worn something which is / is almost a lungi, the next that you can expect as a trend setter from him is the LUNGI DANCE in place of mangalam.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

“THE JOURNEY FROM A MUSICIAN TO A USEFUL IDIOT OF THE RADICAL LEFT”

https://dharmadispatch.in/t-m-krishna-t ... ban-naxal/

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

gardabha_gana wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 11:55 Sounds like a far cry from one of my most memorable TMK concerts during SIFA 25 in 2004(?) in the bay area where he started with a varnam. IIRC it had RTP in sankarabharanam, main was Saveri (Sri rajagopala) and sub-main was Sahana (Giripai). Those were ariyakudi format concerts....

Good to see you Mahavishnu... TMK has left me behind and gone into his explorations.... someday I will catch up with him, meanwhile I will enjoy the Ariyakudi format concerts. Enjoyed half a concert by Vighnesh Ishwar - TMK's disciple who was substituting for RKM who is down with dengue at the last minute. Will write about it....
I have heard a concert at SVTemple Pittsburgh on May 21, 2005, which was one of the best of TMK...evarimATa (submain), naDachi naDachi (main) and RTP shankarAbharaNam (mIna mandhara...dashAvatAra RTP) in khaNDa dhruva tALam!! What a concert it was....Same Team!! Many others of his are very memorable (Can reel out the list), made an impact....

i still love his music, but the fact that he is becoming a non-conformist for the sake of becoming one is not appreciated. Where will he draw a line, how far will he go? Does he have the right knowledge on all the things for which he has an opinion? I may be a Nobel laureate in say, Physics, but that does not give me a right to have an opinion on everything under the sun!

After a while, you cannot separate the person from the music!

arasi

Post by arasi »

No pictures of the concert yet...

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

arasi wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 07:52 No pictures of the concert yet...
Pictures of the lungi or the guys on the stage :lol:

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

Ok. That last comment was a bit too much. You should have stopped earlier.

Your agreements / disagreements with TMK are one thing, but how you agree or disagree is important and that says a lot about you as well. So far all of you (even if you have points of substance for the what) have never managed to do a decent job at the how, and thanks to that we've locked up more threads in the last 2 months than we've ever done in the entire history of rasikas.org before that.

It will also be good if some of you can do something more significant and proactive than just appear only in TMK threads.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

ram1999 wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 21:04 “THE JOURNEY FROM A MUSICIAN TO A USEFUL IDIOT OF THE RADICAL LEFT”

https://dharmadispatch.in/t-m-krishna-t ... ban-naxal/
Terrible article. Labels and adjectives throws around without caution or a second thought.

Could have been penned by harimeow.

RasikasModerator2

And my old warning still holds, any further posts not about this concert itself aren't going to fly here, though I admit to arunsri's logic. It's almost impossible for us to not step into a TMK thread anymore.

natarajan_rasika

There were three Tamburas in the concert. Pretty unusual in day and age where artists are mostly using the electronic Shruthi . I think that was also there
Pretty crowded stage. Thought it could have been bigger giving more space between the performers.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Possibly banning TMK posts will put an end to need for such surveillance!

RasikasModerator2

kvchellappa wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 16:58 Possibly banning TMK posts will put an end to need for such surveillance!
It doesn't have to come to something that drastic.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

natarajan_rasika wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:48 There were three Tamburas in the concert. Pretty unusual in day and age where artists are mostly using the electronic Shruthi . I think that was also there
Pretty crowded stage. Thought it could have been bigger giving more space between the performers.
True, it was odd to have 3 tamburas on stage. Having said that, RKS had done a wonderful job fine-tuning the strings; the 3 tamburas along with the violin seemed to be in perfect unison, creating a stereo effect.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

natarajan_rasika wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:48
....I think that was also there
Pretty crowded stage. Thought it could have been bigger giving more space between the performers...
Well, for 'stage aesthetics' (if I may describe it so) , one has to look up to our Hindustani counterpart.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

natarajan_rasika wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:48 There were three Tamburas in the concert. Pretty unusual in day and age where artists are mostly using the electronic Shruthi . I think that was also there
Nothing but gimmickry / showbiz ...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sangeetha Sivakumar was asked why there were two tamburas - one manual and one electronic, when TMK was compering (Svanubhava programme). TMK said that he would have run away if he was asked that question.

Gayathri rama

Post by Gayathri rama »

yelelo ailasa ???

was it a standup comedy session or a concert?

Why are these sabha still sponsoring him and paying for such cheap jokers?

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

Tanjavooran said:

“Few observations
Oh . TMK was in a new attire. Coloured shirt and Lungi.
Some comments from elders overheard
Though cool with songs in praise of other Gods, wearing Lungi to a concert is an insult to patrons who have come in decent dress.”

When Sri T M Krishna came to the stage, what caught me first was his fancy, colorful attire: A bright silk dhoti or Vesti in shades of deep blue, purple and green, and a bright yellow shirt printed with multi colored flowers. He had wrapped his shoulder with a beige, flowing, luxurious shawl, reminiscent of the flowing luxurious shawls of Sadguru. Though I was taken aback at first, after a few seconds I thought he looked perfectly fine, like an artistic literary pundit. The clothes he wore were not the kind one can buy off the rack at Walmart or J C Penny, of course, or even at a regular clothing store in Mumbai: They all bore the unmistakable aura of designer clothes he always favored in the last five years. Unlike the comment made by some “elder” person in the audience, I did not consider it was an insult to patrons who had come to the concert wearing decent clothes. Well, I am 74 years old (which makes me a very senior elder, indeed), I was dressed in authentic kurta -pajamas I had bought at a store in Mumbai, I even had a woolen shawl or “angavastram” on my shoulder, but I did not consider T M Krishna insulted me. And even though, at first he looked like he was dressed in a colorful sari, because of the way he had worn the shawl over his shoulder like the trail(pallav) of a sari, I thought it was the influence of the Jogappas he sang with at a concert. But it never occurred to me that what he wore was objectionable. I must say that only T M Krishna can get away with it. The clothes he wore when he received the Magsaysay award were also designer clothes. The only “negative” thing I can say about designer clothes is that they are just too expensive for men like me living on modest income. But regarding his music, what can I say but that it is simply divine, awe-inspiring, mesmerizing, bewitching, and as celestial as bhaava-laden Carnatic music can get. He is a true naadopasaka. I consider him a modern day Narada indeed.
Yesh Prabhu, Bushkill, Pennsylvania

arasi

Post by arasi »

"nAradar kalaham(kOlAhalam) nanmaiyil muDindAl" sariyE :)
If nAradA's agitations--grand gestures
nanmaiyil muDindAl sariyE--bring about positive results, that's fine.
Last edited by arasi on 13 Nov 2018, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

nanmai nAradarukke :D

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

kala(k)ham namakkE :P

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

From what I understand, is this the song list?

1. Devi Sri Tulasamma
2. Tyagaraja Yoga Vaibhavam
3. Nagoor Andavane and Aelelo Ailasa
4. Paras thanam, Smara Sundaranguni
5. Kambhoji, Mukhari, Karubaru, Thani
6. RP - Kaanada, with a bunch of other ragas
7. Jagadodharana
8. Sri Nathadi Guruguho
9. Mathe
10. Kamalasana Vandita

natarajan_rasika