THRISSUR BROTHERS IN MUSIC ACADEMY- 5/10/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

THRISSUR BROTHERS IN MUSIC ACADEMY- 5/10/18

Post by CRama »

The concert was organized by Arun Excello Group of companies as a part of the Eighth edition of the Navarathri Music Festival.
Accompanists.
L.Ramakrishnan- Violin
Thrissur Mohan- Mridangam
V.V.Venkatasubramaniam- Ghatam.[/list]
List of songs.
• Navaragamalika varnam
• Slokams
• Manamirangadha- Mayamalavagowla- SVD
• Amba Paradevathe- Rudrapriya- (S)
• Janani Mamava- Bhairavi- ST
• Ramanukku mannan mudi- Hindolam- AK (R,S)
• Nenarunchinanu-Malavi-T
• Akhilandeswari Dwijavanthi- MD
• Naan oru vilayattu bommaya- Navarasakannada-PS
• Parathpara Parameswara- Vachaspathi- PS (R,N,S)
• Thani[/b]

Every year Arun Excello is organizing a series of concerts preceding Navarathri- and this concert is the inaugural concert of this season. The concert was announced as 6 P.M. Listeners were kept waiting outside the hall- profusely sweating as mike testing was going on inside the hall. At 6 PM, they permitted the listeners to enter the hall. But mike adjustments were still going on- tbe brothers giving directions to reduce this, reduce that, increase this so on. In fact the audio adjustments continued till the end of the main song. Still the brothers were not satisfied. And the audience were not satisfied with their concert also. The Music Academy having the best accoustics in the City – and the brothers are still not happy with the system. They waste precious time of the listeners in tuning the system. Other musicians do not have this phobia with the acoustics and they give pretty good music. The concert started at 6.30 P.M.

The kalpana swarams of Amba Paradevathe was energetic and conveyed the raga bhavam well. Janani Mamava was sung without any raga alapana or kalpana swaram. Two ragams- Hindolam and Vachaspathi were presented. Hindolam was presented in an elaborate manner with imagination, verve and gusto. But Vachaspathi was disappointing. There were many phrases unmusical and alien to Vachaspathi. I was skeptic about the ragam itself till half the alapana. Even in meraval and swaras there were many slips. In their over indulgence, I feel, such slips happen. For Main song, they could have taken a heavier song. Neraval was elaborate, straight dashed to mel kala swarams. Many kanakkus tried- without much success. They could have taken Janani Mamava as main song.

L.Ramakrishnan played as usual-fantastic. His Vachaspathi was blemishless. Percussion team supported the concert in a good manner. The entire concert looked like Tukkadas only. So I did not stay to listen their wonderful tukkada list. A lacklustre concert.

sankark

Re: THRISSUR BROTHERS IN MUSIC ACADEMY- 5/10/18

Post by sankark »

CRama wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 13:07 The entire concert looked like Tukkadas only. So I did not stay to listen their wonderful tukkada list. A lacklustre concert.
The wrath of Mylapore/Mambalam Mamadom & Mamidom is gonna find a target in CRama now.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Probably RTP lover would have rated that an excellent concert😊

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

CRama wrote:
"But Vachaspathi was disappointing. There were many phrases unmusical and alien to Vachaspathi. I was skeptic about the ragam itself till half the alapana. Even in neraval and swaras there were many slips. In their over indulgence, I feel, such slips happen.
The entire concert looked like Tukkadas only. So I did not stay to listen their wonderful tukkada list. A lacklustre concert."

I admire CRama's sincerity and courage in expressing exactly what he felt at the concert. The fact that the editor of this website(if there is one) did not intervene and censor what he wrote is admirable. When I wrote a review of Akkarai sisters' concert at the Narada Gana Sabha, sponsored by CMANA, on January 2, 2017, the CMANA editor censored it because he felt that my review was negative, without even telling me that he was going to censor it. (It was truly a horrible concert, by the way.) So it is good to see that here at Rasikas, reviewers can still express their heartfelt words without fear of being censored.
Yesh Prabhu, Bushkill, Pennsylvania