Dr. Pantula Rama @ Chicago Arora temple Thyagaraja Utsavam

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
meenaakshi

Dr. Pantula Rama @ Chicago Arora temple Thyagaraja Utsavam

Post by meenaakshi »

Dr. Pantula Rama
MSN Murthy
Kotipalli Ramesh

Giriraja suta – Bangala, T, S
Sanatana paramapavana – Phalamanjari, T, R
Ennadu jutuno – kalavati, T, R. S
Guruleka etuvanti – Gowri manohari, T, N @ tatva bodhana jesi kapadu thyagarajaptudagu
Manamu leda - Hamirkalyani, T, N @ ganaruci theliyu kusa lava janaka, S
Vara raga laya – chenchu kambhoji, T
Kaligiyunte gada - Keeravani, T, R, Tanam, N @Baguga sri raghu ramuni padamula, S
Thani
Muddugara yashoda – kurinji, T
Navaneetha chora – navaroj, T
Mariyada theliyagane – surruti, javali
Tillana – brindavani, BMK

If breathing could be evoked musically, Dr.Rama can do it. Her resiny tone in all registers, expressive command of rhythm, gift for drawing melodic lines in ragams like kalavati, phalamanjari … her earthy, throbbing lower register … her ethereal gliding of the lyrics with perfect diction … dispatching technicalities with ease … the way she reconstructs familiar keeravani, hamirkalyani revealing unfamiliar contours …

A sense of lived experience in her singing that reminds me of this quote:
“Ars imitatur naturam in sua operatione”

We had their concert in South Bend on Tuesday. Waiting for reviews from Sivaranjani and Vinay :) :) Missed you VK :(

These are the lovely musings of Ms. Sutikshna Veeravalli of this concert:

“Namaskaram!

I didn't get to tell you in person today, but I wanted to tell you I have always admired your performances and they hold a special place for me! Your kutcheri today was filled with such strength and sensitivity. The way you held the rishabam in kalavathi, the way you highlighted sahityam meaning in gowri manohari neraval and other krithis, your voice warm timbre, stunning range, and mind boggling speed, your calm presence on stage with a meditative focus on tambura between krithis, your choices on stages filled with boldness and beauty... all these and more make your music from today ring in my mind until the next kutcheri of yours I get to hear. And then that will get wrapped into my mind
Hearing you today meant a lot to me because I am at a point where I am trying to define what I wanted to gain in and do with carnatic music. Your concert reminder me that music is simply the language some people choose to express thought and feelings through, which is why we try and become more articulate in it.
That's why it was special to hear you today because it was an example how we can better explore and shape ourselves when music is your language of choice!”
Last edited by meenaakshi on 08 Oct 2018, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Dr. Pantula Rama @ Chicago Arora temple Thyagaraja Utsavam

Post by rajeshnat »

Sutikhshna
Very well written , just great choices of words , it was perhaps an AurorA moment within you.

Meenakshi
Thank you for your glowing start, nice of pantula to end with a brilliant thillana of Dr BMK in brindavani.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meeenaaakshi,
And just when I was thinking, if RamAgAru sings, wouldn't you be there...Bring us your pictures too, please. Always a joy, to hear your response to good music :)

Suthikshna,
Thanks for sharing your lovely musical experience with us. Your generation's rasikatvA is even more precious for CM...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

meenaakshi wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 05:46
A sense of lived experience in her singing that reminds me of this quote:
“Ars imitatur naturam in sua operatione”
Well put! There is scholarship in her music, there is a natural sense of aesthetics, and there is her remarkable voice. But you're right that ultimately what elevates her music is the overwhelming sense that what she sings is an extension of her being.