Jayanthi Kumaresh@Mylapore Academy Trust (PS High School)on Oct 27th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------
Veena: Jayanthi Kumaresh
Mrudangam : K U Jayachandra Rao - disciple of son of Rajamani ,who is the son of superstar palakkad mani iyer
Ghatam : Trichy Krishnaswami, disciple of Trichy B Harikumar

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 20 minutes concert inclusive of 10 mins speech break.
Concert Type : Ticketed concert in mylapore
Sabha/Hall : Mylapore Academy Trust/PS High School ,mylapore
Festival : Part of 23rd Annual Festival

1. nattaikurinji varnam
2. ganapathE mahApathE (R,S) - kalyani- MD
4 mins alapana and 7 mins swaras

3.mA jAnaki(R, S) - kAmbOdhi- T
7 mins alapana and 6 mins swaras
4. rAmachandram bhAvayAmi (R,S) - vasantha - MD
8 mins alapana and 4 mins swaras

# brief speech to ask audience if they want to RTP or main

6A.RTP - single raga RTP -Hemavathi
37 mins of RTP with about 10 mins non metered taanam
this was announced was a vadhya pallavi . I am assuming this was the creation of Kumaresh who was in the audience

6B. tani for 22 mins

# Too long a speech introducing artist and talking about the 3 vadhyams for 10 mins.

7. karunai deivamE - sindhubhairavi - Madurai Sreenivasan

8. thillana ?? - kamas- LGJ???
sketch of alapana in kamas

9. kamakshi loka sakshini??? - madhyamavati - SS???

Some one please fill the ???, if I am wrong.

rajeshnat

Re: Jayanthi Kumaresh@Mylapore Academy Trust (PS High School)on Oct 27th,2018

Post by rajeshnat »

First things First
-------------------
Chennai in the year 2018 from say March onwards is surely bouncing with lot of concerts like bangalore in a non kutcheri season. Chennai Super Kings Sabhas and patrons were in full overdrive joy mode and did not get cornered with any of the hashtag related outbursts .Yesterday Saturday , rajesh had choices , the perennial rivers Ganga(Ragasudha) and brahmaputra (Arkays) had two artists featured . There is one in mandaveli with parampara banner , UKS mamA was encouraging a great young vidwan Sandeep , the far flung nanganallur is on with an artist rathipriya who is the sister of more established violin anna R Raghul, both are performing together. Also the usually sleepy sivagami petachi auditorium had a concert on Saturday with archana and aarathi and today Prof TN Krishnan is performing . In the last 6 or 7 years around this time in Oct , we used to have only one utsav and one pallavi themed concert during this time in october,all sabhas were lying low to get into excess December Dhamaka. It is good sign to see more concerts getting championed by many more patrons. Let power get decentralized.

For all the NRI's, mumabikars and bangaloreans who are eating Pizza,Vadapav and ChuriMuri respectively you all should not get into excess negativity and think that may be instead of this year 2018 , i will see how it goes and may be travel next year to chennai for dec 2019.There is nothing cogent in having such a kind of thought, my intuition makes me think that this season will be even better than any of the last 17 years that I have attended.

About the concert
---------------------
1.I dont know about this sabha Mylapore Academy Trust . They put a banner it is their 23rd annual festival. As i bought the ticket I only saw a name Ethirajan in the ticket. Can some one throw more light about this sabha . Team it is a big miracle they charged 100,200 and 500 for the concert , i bought 100 and listened to the concert . I am thinking if the trust resets the price to say 50,75,100,200,500 that would encourage more family and friends to participate. Yesterday was a big racket day for me , i had to spend 10,000 Rupees for getting 4 H1N1 vaccine administered to family so another 100 with me-to and me-fro auto was not a drain at all.

2.All these years I usually take instruments when I get a feel of little excessive overload of vocal concerts . Vidushi Jayanthi Kumaresh gives a very clean , well formed connectedness . This vidushi's connectedness is with both technicalities of music and also the more deeper emotional touch with her sunaada veena .

3. Her start in nattaikurinji was bit delayed, nattaikurinji is one of the most brilliant ragas . This raga nattaikurinji incorrectly latches with your psyche where at times you wonder where the problem is in general in life and what stand you have to take which is the order of the day. Is nattaikurinji able to express with conviction and force OR is nattaikurinji little submissive and yields and wins over muse , O GOSH i donot know . I can only say nattaikurinji start brings an extraordinary polish to the concert . Jayanthi touched with her azhuttam (conviction and force) and also connected with muse (submissive and yield). I have personally never even seen this mrudangam artist jayachandra rao at all and he was just beginning to get into the groove

4. One or two rasikas felt the veena volume was high. The feedback was given , Jayanthi heard it and she said she will even correct it but to the best of my knowledge she did not make any corrections . There is a bit of stage craft there the artist appears as though she listens to feedback from the rasika, but may be she felt the point was not entirely valid , big deal I atleast moved to another place ,the hall was 80% empty ,the ticket of 50 or 75 may have made it 60% empty, but still i had the right to settle away from sound overload.

5. Melakartha # 65 arrived ,the alapana was painted with the melancholy rasa of excessive kalyani. She announced i am going to play a rare and beautiful krithi of MD. I have personally heard this dikshitar krithi ganapathe mahapathe when i bought a maharajapuram santhanam audio casette of Dikshitar krithis . Nice krithi but what I liked with jayanthi is the way she aurally changed the landscape of kalyani when she took up the kalpana swaras. There was an arresting speed and such a tight control over kAlapramanam . Certainly rajesh hate-love continues with the melakartha #65

6. What a joy to hear the next two . KAmbOdhi alapana was superb and the quintessence of a great submain came perhaps from her lalgudi mAma there who may have got a lot from MMI .What a mA janaki with superb swaras , this was easily the second best for me

7. What can i say with what followed next. As a rasika I have surely graduated to disambiguate vasantha and Lalitha . I personally like little more expansion with a slight sedate paint of ragas . It is quite a rare and an almost impossible event to hear vasantha raga alapana getting elaborated (I heard once saketharaman singing vasantha pallavi but I am talking vasantha as a near submain) . I have Personally heard one great melancholy painted hamsanandi of veena balachandar -at times even vasantha and hamsanandi also has overlap . To the best of my knowledge I have not heard balachandar playing vasantha .Also I only know her main guru padmavathy ananthagopalan as a teacher and patron of annanagar sabha, may be padmavathy mami has played a detailed vasantha some time some where. I heard jayanthi focussing as much as his illustrious mama Lalgudi Jayaraman in vasantha. Vasantha alapana was beautiful and slow with great oomph and the krithi with swaras were not rushed , dikshitar and veena are inseperable. This vasantha is simply superb and nearly made my day.

8. She asked the audience whether to play pallavi or a main krithi . Few voices said Pallavi these kind of questions are more of a stagecraft , I felt she already decided to play pallavi , it was a loaded question . She said she will play hemavati and she said it is a vadhya pallavi . I am only assuming since she said vadhya pallavi she may have taken this idea from kumaresh or his brother ganesh in giving this hemavathi.Hemavathi alapana was nice but I felt it went bit circular not much varied manodharmam there . Taanam was well done , usually veena artists generally take ghana pancha ratna ragas in taanam i am glad she continue with the same raga ,her azhuttam was clean and one has to give it her in playing 10 mins of intense taanam. The pallavi amaippu was a vadhya pallavi it appeared as a a jaya tv margazhi or parivadhini signature tune .The vadhya amaippu pallavi did not showcase the neraval musicality that much it was bit fusionish. Swaras in hemavati were well done and she came back to intensity zone there.If i am right she did not play any ragamaliga. There were few swara patterns where she played few sancharas and the two percussionist exactly played that , the excitement was there but it worn out on me as it was not very elaborate and expansive swaras.

9. The tani was way too long it went for 22 mins. More than jayachandra rao the rhythmic touches of krishnaswami was superb.I have noticed krishnaswamy is her stock accompaniment , personally that may have made a bit of difference

10. Vidushi Jayanthi is a great speaker. She talked about how instruments are made from jackfruit etc. She also jokingly said veena and ghatam are vegetarians and mrudangam is a non vegetarian . Nice contextual and she is indeed a brilliant speaker.Why this gyan in mylapore she could have done that in some overseas tour or some East meets West thematic concerts.

11. In the tukkadas more than sindhubhairavi i loved her thillana in kamas (assuming it is maestro lalgudi). She announced all the numbers but she did not announce the 3 tukkadas. The earlier karunai deivame karpagame was an apt drop for mylapore academy in the century old PS high school . PS High School has transformed from pandal to non ac auditorium to ac auditorium. Personally l always love the NON AC setup of PS high School . The excess sound now is not dissipating with the AC and with vidushi not bringing down the volume ,the PS high school with its closed sound contours is not the best of experience .

12. Both the accompanist gave a great support and they did not sag as it is a veena concert . Nice to hear Jayachandra Rao ,unless I go to bangalore i may not hear him again. He comes from an illustrious lineage of PMI having learnt from his son rajamani. Krishnawamy is a star in the horizon.

Few timewasters that could have been avoided
----------------------------------------------
1.She appears bit slightly too finicky(only slight) on sound adjustment, roughly 8 mins gone with a delayed start.
2.Lost 10 mins of music thru jayanthi's speech .
3. 10 mins due to excessively long tani of 20 plus mins.

Her speech is wonderful but after such a long tani why should there be a speech. If say half of her time on above three was say apportioned that would have been better . Jayanthi is a fine varisu of veenai balachandar she could have presented say for eg jagadoDharana like veena balachandar , an elaboration where balachandar gave a new definition to that peeelu(hind kapi) . I could have heard and seen vidushi jayanthi musically very close to veenai balachandar.

All said , gamaka suddham ,shruti adherence and such tightness on kalapramanam is always there at any time in the concert.I felt when she plays swarakalpana , it is as though her mAma maestro lalgudi jayaraman was playing veena. Keep it up jayanthi ,jayachandra rao and krishnaswamy.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours 20 mins inclusive of 10 mins speech.

jodha

Post by jodha »

What is meant by " Vadhya pallavi?"
Can someone explain ?

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

... rajesh had choices .....

Who is rajesh. The reviewer ?? Surprised, it is written like a kid !

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

jodha wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 18:26 What is meant by " Vadhya pallavi?"
Can someone explain ?
http://www.narthaki.com/info/articles/art364.html

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rajeshnat wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 10:39 big deal I atleast moved to another place ,the hall was 80% empty ,the ticket of 50 or 75 may have made it 60% empty, but still i had the right to settle away from sound overload.
Sounds too naive. That the ticket prices are driver for Crowds coming in for a vINA concert! When people are asking a famous vocalist how to avoid 5 AM queues for a ticket for a tamizh and metoo concert!

But heartening that , in Mylapore people are willing to pay for a vINA concert!

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 18:37
jodha wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 18:26 What is meant by " Vadhya pallavi?"
Can someone explain ?
http://www.narthaki.com/info/articles/art364.html
This vAdya Pallavi seems a complex piece with a preset rubric unlike a standard Pallavi which has few rules. Did Jayanthi kumaresh’s presentation follow the structure described in the article? I am very intrigued.

-Thenpaanan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thenpaanan
The writeup of narthaki about vadhya perhaps refers few jatis and the writer is referring odissi.

Jayanthi explicitly stated vadhya pallavi and also said this is instrument pallavi.

Bottomline the above link of narthaki vadhya is not related to jayanthi performance of vadhya pallavi.