TM Krishna @ Crossroads at RR Sabha

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sureshvv

Re: TM Krishna @ Crossroads at RR Sabha

Post by sureshvv »

bhasi wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 11:18 @sureshvv Thanks for providing that context. I still stand by my words.
So you won't let facts get in the way? :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Perumal,
Good to see your post after quite a while. Finally, we got to hear about the music performed there from you! Hope someone writes in detail about it--at least, gives a complete of list songs.
Would love to be in that hall (halls now) again, the hub of music, dance and drama in my ancient childhood days. I did go there after decades, before it closed doors, for a young Nityasri's concert where she sang divinely.That day I relived some precious moments of my childhood listening too.

Moderator2,
Sorry for the digression, but after my four lines of plea, music peeked its head through the closed curtains!

Sureshvv,
Bhasi perhaps could give us an idea about the content of the concert.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

@sureshvv I don't know too much about how sabhas work and function, but all I'm saying is that once any venue admin has agreed to host a performer, he is duty-bound to not insult him at the very least! Apropos "Given the unnecessary hassle that a Sabha secretary had to go through to facilitate a Carnatic music program" (to quote from your earlier post) - doesn't it stand to reason that the secretary should have refrained from hosting the performer in the first place given the controversy that has dogged most of his performances of late?

@arasi Sorry, I wasnt present at that concert, I merely chanced upon this thread, saw the mama's video posted above and wanted to share my thoughts. Thank you for sharing that vignette :) The original poster of this thread, @vijay.siddharth could perhaps oblige with a more detailed review at his convenience.

In the light of the info that pperumal has now provided, the conduct of that sabha's admins is even more deplorable, I'd say: first they agree to host the controversial performer at their venue, knowing fully well that this might attract a lot of protests and protestors, and then they insist on delivering this very public insult and gratuitously asking him to "change his attitude"! If they had such a big issue with him, why did they agree to host him in the first place - is all I'm saying.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

bhasi wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 10:40 once any venue admin has agreed to host a performer, he is duty-bound to not insult him at the very least!
<snip>
they insist on delivering this very public insult and gratuitously asking him to "change his attitude"!
You are exaggerating. There was no insult. There was a suggestion for the sake of the art and the rasikas.

Actually the police pressured the Sabha officials to press charges which they refused to. Otherwise it would have escalated into an even bigger fracas.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

sureshvv wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 11:11
There was no insult. There was a suggestion for the sake of the art and the rasikas.

Actually the police pressured the Sabha officials to press charges which they refused to. Otherwise it would have escalated into an even bigger fracas.
If you don't consider being talked to in such a derisive and condescending manner to be an insult, then I have no further comments to offer as we seem to disagree on the very crux of the issue. "A suggestion", really?

Sorry if I'm missing something, but could you please shed some more light on whom the police wanted the Sabha officials to press charges against, and on what grounds?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

bhasi wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 11:26 could you please shed some more light on whom the police wanted the Sabha officials to press charges against, and on what grounds?
Got this from twitter mostly. It was against the protesters/counter-protesters on the grounds of trespassing and disorderly conduct.

May be the Sabha Sec should have thanked TMK for increasing visibility of CM so more diverse youngsters will be prompted to master the art! :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well, the sabha's intent could have been ('m guessing): we still love your music, the way we have heard you for years in the past--who knows? Like us, rasikAs might also end up with a winner...don't you think that could perhaps have been the intent?
As for the 'speech', it's the last thing to scrutinize on. Take into account the 'speech' aspect of a hundred concerts. What are they? Most of them are a mere gesture, a necessary ritual...

Thanks, Srinath. I heard that bArO krishnaiyya. Yes, bArO (bravo?) to his singing it...

natarajan_rasika

Post by natarajan_rasika »

@arasi
Thanks, Srinath. I heard that bArO krishnaiyya. Yes, bArO (bravo?) to his singing it...
Why the special mention for the bArO Krishnaiyya

arasi

Post by arasi »

Because Srinath had given the link to it, and I liked listening to it. I just looked for it now and couldn't find it...

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Sorry to rake up this old thread, but TMK just posted his version of the events on Facebook, and I just wanted to include this here for the sake of completion: https://www.facebook.com/tmkrishna/post ... 5478960816

"...a senior member of Hindu Makkal Katchi called Devina Dutt and threatened to disrupt the concert and Tamilnadu BJP unit also called her to stop the concert. The officials of RR Sabha put pressure on First Edition Arts to cancel the event. As a final bid to stop the concert officials of RR Sabha insisted that they must be allowed condemn my political positions publicly while I am seated on stage, just before the concert begins. And if this was not allowed they would cancel the concert. I agreed to these terms and the RR Sabha official spoke for long saying many things!"

Also the videos from this concert are now being uploaded on FEA's YouTube channel! :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I heard Begada and one more song. The music is well below TMK's standard. Some four disciples are surrounding him and some are singing too, others admiring his music.

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

Sachi_R wrote: 14 May 2019, 16:56 I heard Begada and one more song. The music is well below TMK's standard. Some four disciples are surrounding him and some are singing too, others admiring his music.
My feeling as well.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

All the videos of this performance have been uploaded. Truth be told, I do not think this was one of his best performances, but that is my view. Go ahead and take a look in this playlist I made:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... X6K_-RoePr

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shreyas wrote: 24 May 2019, 19:54 Truth be told, I do not think this was one of his best performances,
I agree..

But the behavior of the shishyas is very normal. They are not admiring anything too much, and are mainly being respectful and are not singing too loudly. They are barely audible.