Sanjay Subrahmanyan Thamizhum Naanum

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
gajaa

Sanjay Subrahmanyan Thamizhum Naanum

Post by gajaa »

I hadnt seen this level of promotion for a concert so far what with SS posting professionally created teaser videos et al before the concert across all social media platforms. I did not attend it though. However, I’m waiting to hear from the folks who did. Pl be kind and post away :)

sureshvv

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyan Thamizhum Naanum

Post by sureshvv »

Accompanists
-------------
S.Varadarajan
Neyveli Venkatesh
Tirupanithura Radhakrishnan

Song List
--------
1. Senthamizh thaayai potruvomey, Chakravakam
2. Adhi Bhagavan Mudatrey Ulagu, Hamsadvani
3. Paamaalaikku Inai Undo, Harikambodhi, ns @ tamizhnadu sei thava
4. Viruttam. Petra thaai thanai, Todi
5. Matru Patru enakku inri nin tiru paadamey
6. Kharaharapriya, Nava siddhi petraalum
7. Innum enna ezhai mel paaramugam iranga vendum, ragamalika in kedaragowla, danyasi, bilahari, saveri and kapi, adi (pallavi may be tatparamatra krupakara)
8. maaley manivanna, kuntalavarali
9. RTP. Hamsanandi, Adi
Tamizhukku Amudenru Per |
Tamizh engal uyirukku ner ||
10. Noolai padi, Behag
11. Viruttam, Theerthakarayinile, Misra Kamaj
12. Paayum Oli Nee enakku
13. Viruttam, Kulam tharum (Sahana) Oorilen Kaani Illai (S.Danyasi)
14. Brindavanam Idhuvo
15. Maalasai Kopam, Jonpuri
16. Viruttam, Aadum Mayilai
17. Karpagamey Kann paarai
18. Vaazhiya Senthamizh

He came, He sang, He conquered!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From FB:
Balasubramanian Gurumurthi
12 hrs
TALAIVAR CREATS HISTORY AT THE MIND BOGGLING CONCERT "தமிழும் நானும்" AT MUSIC ACADEMY, CHENNAI.

I listened to this phenomenal Concert, thanks to the newly inaugurated web channel YUV, today. There's a nominal subscription of Rs.499/- for a whole year and you get to listen the choicest concerts every week. Of course, they have started with a BANG, by webcasting the marvelous Sanjay sir Kutcheri.

And what a Concert. Dear Rasikas, Rasikas of any music category, don't miss this concert, especially the Ragam Tanam Pallavi in Hamsananandi. I consider myself particularly fortunate to live in his times and able to listen to him.

Links:
Android: http://bit.ly/yuv-app

iOS: http://bit.ly/yuv-ios

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

Thanks for posting the list Kvchellappa. Honestly, when I watched the promotions for this concert on SM, I was quite flummoxed as to why this is so special. After all, there are Tamil Isai Sangam concerts that happen every year where all songs are Tamil. The list now shows that SS has delivered it more like a dedication to Tamil. It may also seem that manodharma has given way slightly to more number of urupidis. No one is complaining, I guess, as can be seen from all rasikas waxing eloquent about this concert. Of late, Tamil jingoism is rife in the state ( example / all Vijay movies and WhatsApp forwards that go “if you’re a true Tamil, you MUST forward this”). SS joins the BW too now. Not that he was not singing Tamil songs earlier, it’s just that he’s also selling it now. :) great strategy.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

i heard concert start was late. looks this concert did not have main. may be navasiddhi did not have neraval and swaras. then went to rtp in hamsanandi. what time concert ended and how long was the concert suresh. nice sweep of composers kudos to team

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sanjay has been promoting himself assiduously. There is nothing 'unholy' about it. To get a full house for a ticketed concert for CM, promotion is very much necessary. From several reports, he has done justice to the theme and the audience. That matters. There is a native pride about Tamizh for many Tamizhars and so long as it is not hatred for anybody, there is nothing unbecoming about it. Sanjay has that pride. He is not against any language. He has said that he would like to learn some Malayalam songs also. His repertoire of Thyagaraja Krithis must be second to none.

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

kvchellappa wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 08:19 Sanjay has been promoting himself assiduously. There is nothing 'unholy' about it. To get a full house for a ticketed concert for CM, promotion is very much necessary. From several reports, he has done justice to the theme and the audience. That matters. There is a native pride about Tamizh for many Tamizhars and so long as it is not hatred for anybody, there is nothing unbecoming about it. Sanjay has that pride. He is not against any language. He has said that he would like to learn some Malayalam songs also. His repertoire of Thyagaraja Krithis must be second to none.
Rightly Said. I agree completely.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Please let me know How to subscribe to the YUV channel from the U.S. It may be more than the Rs 499 for audience in India. That doesn't matter, if the web cast is good. Will save a trip to India !

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sir, Go to one of these links (I used web):
Android: http://bit.ly/yuv-app

iOS: http://bit.ly/yuv-ios

It is $9.99 for international.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 07:34 i heard concert start was late. looks this concert did not have main. may be navasiddhi did not have neraval and swaras. then went to rtp in hamsanandi. what time concert ended and how long was the concert suresh. nice sweep of composers kudos to team
Started as scheduled at 7 and went on until 9.40. Kharaharapriya alapana was extensive - so that would have been the main.

Actually it was just like any other Sanjay concert. They were giving away pens at the door and each seat had a small diary for note taking.
Last edited by sureshvv on 10 Dec 2018, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

KannaDa songs too get sung by Sanjay ofen--not just the regular round of songs but the not-often-heard ones.
Hype or not, this event, like the long-standing tamizh only Annamalai ManRam concerts made it possible for many to attend an all thamizh pADalgaL concert. Listening to Sanjay in Parrys Corner used to make me regret that the distance kept keen listeners, especially seniors away from all Tamizh Isai Sangam offerings.

vvsuresh,
Thanks for the song list. How many shades in lyrical content! How much work going into it! MArgazhi MahA Utsavam, as Sanjay acknowledges, has been instrumental in paving the way for this sort of a concert in recent times.
It's not a matter of how accomplished an artiste is. The proof is in one's working at one's art diligently and with rich imagination which takes music beyond its 'yes, very well sung/played' boundaries. When I say played, what accomplished accompanists doing their share!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Can someone throw some light on item #7?

Have never heard it before and it drew quite an applause from the audience.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Folks,
So many posts came in a row, and my mention about kannaDa songs at the beginning of the above post was in response to how many telugu songs Sanjay sings...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 09:54 MArgazhi MahA Utsavam, as Sanjay acknowledges, has been instrumental in paving the way for this sort of a concert in recent times.
You may be treading on some sensitive toes :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suresh,
Ah!
Item:7 Eludes my memory at the moment, but Sanjay sang it in one of his MMU concerts several years ago.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sureshvv wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 09:53 Started as scheduled at 7 and went on until 9.40. Kharaharapriya alapana was extensive - so that would have been the main.
Actually it was just like any other Sanjay concert. They were giving away pens at the door and each seat had a small diary for note taking.
Suresh,
Usually start of 7 pm gives a grace time of 15 mins past 9 . I am glad another 25 mins was taken or given whatever case may be . I am assuming tani was not a 20 or 25 minute affair also and may be tani was pushed even after RTP .Venkatesh from neyveli always is a great sport .

Kharaharapriya R was there how about neraval and swaras , i am assuming it was not there . Personally the strategy is planning for a steady stream of tukkadas. That is fine too.

Pens at the door and diary for note taking- YOu take it for all concerts and put the song list and do not conditionally crib that site is not allowing me to post and breakup with many posts. Best wishes to you to post full song list in one post like what you did here.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 10:09 YOu take it for all concerts and put the song list and do not conditionally crib that site is not allowing me to post and breakup with many posts.
There is a certain joy in posting live and immediately during the concert. It may also help you to keep it succinct and not ramble incomprehensibly. It is certainly not for lack of pen and diary or memo pad software.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sureshvv wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 10:24
rajeshnat wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 10:09 YOu take it for all concerts and put the song list and do not conditionally crib that site is not allowing me to post and breakup with many posts.
There is a certain joy in posting live and immediately during the concert. It may also help you to keep it succinct and not ramble incomprehensibly. It is certainly not for lack of pen and diary or memo pad software.
Suresh
You are a wonderful writer, since it was only you i said what I wanted to say. When you put everything once especially from the readership viewpoint it is more stickiness. Thank you for your post , it is only a constructive suggestion. Looks there is another medium with another writer where for the same concert it is definitely not a succinct writeup .

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

No offense taken. Part of my "cribbing" was with the hope that the rasikas admin(s) will take corrective action.

natarajan_rasika

Post by natarajan_rasika »

Saw this concert on YUV . What a concert. Period.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Number 7: Could it be this?
One day he was given a vision and sang kathirvaDivEla (now sung in Jayantashree). It is likely that he had a premonition of his passing thereafter and really looked forward to it. But then God delayed His arrival and exasperated with this, Kavi embarked on innum enna Ezhai mEl. It is said that during the singing of this song, God appeared on a peacock and danced before him and vanished at the end of every verse and reappeared only if he composed yet another. That is why this song has a slow pallavi and four fast-paced caraNams. At the end of it, there was a burst of light and Kavi shuffled off his mortal coil. From the heavens came the singing of a mangaLam (saravaNa), which was quickly noted down by the Governor of Madras, ME Grant Duff. On his return to England, the Governor named his estate Doraiswamipuram, which is now known as Dorsey.

rsrini080463

Post by rsrini080463 »

Dear Shri Lakshmanji

Can you pl provide the lyrics of Doraisamy Kavirayar's song sung above? What Mr.Sanjay sang seem to be different from the lyrics posted elsewhere in this forum.

That was having 4 charanams following the Pallavi - sung by him in Kedaragaulai

Thanks much in advance.

Best Regards
Srini

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rsrini080463 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 19:02 What Mr.Sanjay sang seem to be different from the lyrics posted elsewhere in this forum.
Link please.

rsrini080463

Post by rsrini080463 »

That Krithi in Begada was different and that was Innamum Paramugam

Link Below:

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... am#p141794

-----------

Whatever Shri Sanjay sang was a different song and lyrics welcome from any of the rasikas, though it was addressed to Lakshman ji. Thanks

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 10:06 Item:7 Eludes my memory at the moment, but Sanjay sang it in one of his MMU concerts several years ago.
Your memory is better than mine. I was at that concert too dedicated to Duraiswamy Kavi & Gomathy Sankara Iyer but could not recall it.

arasi

Post by arasi »

And Gomathy Sankara Iyer's grandson Sankar in the audience acknowledging Sanjay's praises for his grandfather...
Thanks for complimenting an ancient on her memory. She lucked out this time!

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

I understand that the song#7 was composed by Samiyappa kavirayar (father of Duraiswamy Kavirayar). Just to keep the record straight!!