Western Music Concert

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

Western Music Concert

Post by thanjavooran »

After a span of few yrs I had an opportunity to listen pure Western music sponsored by Community School of Music and Arts at Finn Center.
There were two programs by the students in the age group of 8 and 12 and the other between 14 and 18 yrs.
1. Violin students of Thutam Le and 2. Merit Scholars Holiday Concert.
Violin, Flute, Piano Saxaphone and a new instrument [ for me] Basson by name were played besides voice and drums.
Each program lasting about 30 mts made the audience spell bound.
Kids in bright white and black uniform performed with utmost devotion after self introduction.
My observations
Entry and exit inside the hall only during applause. Pin drop silence maintained through out. Even while setting up the mike absolute silence was maintained.
In he entire group Chinese and Indian students were present. I could be able to identify Sankarabaranam, Suba pantuvarali, Mohanam , Udaya Ravichandrika to name few. As the local Sabha Presidents, secretaries and committee members are camping in Chennai along with musicians, Rasikas are deprived of listening CM. One has to wait for the
( Pushya ) Bagula Panchami Aradhanai at Cleveland Kshetram during April, May. In the audience one hefty service Dog was also present watching the proceedings . (brought by the parent.)

Thanjavooran
16 12 2018

thanjavooran

Re: Western Music Concert

Post by thanjavooran »

Again an opportunity to listen ' Opera Night ' by boys and girls in the age group of 10 and 16 by the Fame Jr. conceived by David De Silva. In this troupe more American kids participated than Indian and Chinese.
The boys and girls were well trained in Music and Acting. It reminded me of the Boys company of olden days. 150 mts program with chaste music made the audience spell bound. As usual Rasikas enjoyed the entire show. Even all kids played musical instruments at appropriate time. An evening went off well with pleasing and sound mind.
Thanjavooran
23 12 2018

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Community Concerts for Mother's day on 04 05 2019 . 17 00 hrs
CSMA
Tateuchi Hall . Mountain View.
One more opportunity to listen Western Music by boys and girls between age group of 8 and 18.
The concert started exactly at 17 05 hrs.
Students of Merit Scholar participated. Piano, Violin, Flute , Bassoon, Cello and Viola besides Vocal.
Excellent presentation by students in their Black uniform after self introduction. This time I could identify Hamsadwani besides Kathana kuthoohalam. The vocalist's body language was very pleasing and apt. Absolute silence was maintained.The organizer thanked the students who are entering college in different discipline for their regular academic interest. In general one hour program was a different experience for the Rasikas like me. This time more participation by Chinese than Indians

Thanjavooran
05 05 2019

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran,,
Thank you for your reporting on the musical productions of schools in California which you attend when you are in the US visiting your family. We do know that a grand daughter of yours is not only musical, but is as keen as you are in attending CM concerts. What's more, she even writes about them :) I bet she is active at school singing/playing an instrument or two. Bless her, and all the kids whom you see at the Cleveland Aradhana, many of whom are also good at singing/playing western music.
Now, I come to you, the grandpa whom I have known on Rasikas.org for a long time. You are a bit younger to me, I know :)and what a breath of fresh air you are! Your interest in CM is well-known among us. You write about concerts which happen in and around Perambur. You are found to be positive in your discussions and reviews. Your open-mindedness is something I admire. Imagine. If we had held on to haider kAlathu (bygone times) values without dusting them up , looking at them anew , and seeing them in the light of changing times-- our feet firmly grounded in the values of tradition of course-- we would not have had the pleasure of appreciating what our grandchildren are interested and are involved in. To respect what they learn at school and elsewhere of music is important. We get respect from them, and it's easy to respect them, while we love them, of course!
How long are you here in CA?Have a good stay :)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasi Avl,
Thanks. I am here since Dec 18 and will be back this month end. Missed all concerts in Chennai mainly PSS chithriai Vizha.
Rightly said. The younger generation spend much time in listening Western music besides appreciating CM. I am 78 +. If I am younger to You seek your blessings.
Once again thanks for your kind words.
Vazhga Valamudan !
Thanjavooran
05 05 2019

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran,
You ARE getting older! You forget that we once talked about it and found out that I am several years older to you! So, whether a kazhudai (donkey) or an old non-descript crumbling wall (purely tamizh expression denoting age), I accept your kind wishes :)

The youngsters are versatile, and they are quite focused about learning music (of various genres).