Sowmya @MA 20 Dec 2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
musi

Sowmya @MA 20 Dec 2018

Post by musi »

She sang an amazing Pallavi in GHANTA in Khanda Jati Triputa Talam..
This is apparently the first effort to sing a pallavi in Ghanta by any musician in the last century!

More details about Ghanta here : http://guruguha.org/wp/?p=1407

All aspects were really good starting from the alapana to tanam to neraval swaras and ragamalika korappu that had punngavarali, asaveri, dhanyasi, thodi, bhairavi

This was really an outstanding effort ... Il add more details about the pallavi soon. Meanwhile, if any of you attended the concert please add in details about the concert and your feelings about the pallavi.

Also Kudos to the Violinist Charulatha Ramanujam who was at her stylish best ,while exploring this rare difficult raga.

HarishankarK

Re: Sowmya @MA 20 Dec 2018

Post by HarishankarK »

wow
looks like she will win the best senior vocalist award again

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

SS, Charulatha Ramanujam, Neyveli Narayanan, Guruprasad

Vanajakshi - Kalyani (Ata)
Nenarunchara - Simhavahini (s)
Senthil Andavan - Khpriya (r,n,s)
Purahara Nandana - Hamirkalyani
Neelapuri Kuzhalale - YK (Swathi utsavaprabandham) (r)
Manavyalakim (s)
RTP - Ghanta (Khanda Triputa)
Nandanandana - Desh
Chennikulanagar - Kavadichindu

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rupavati or Musi,
How long was the pallavi in ghanta , if possible even the alapana and taanam please .
I have heard few musicians jokingly in the past have given remarks like ghanta rAgam is vEra onnnum illai dhanyasi thappu thappa pAdina that is ghanta. She has also taken the swara ragamaliga in allied ragas punngavarali, asaveri, dhanyasi, thodi, bhairavi along with ghanta. Musicians in the last 15 years are working way too hard in creating pallavis . I have no idea of how the concert was ,hope the pallavi is just not a tick mark , I still respect vidushi sowmya for what she did?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

@rajeshnat Feel free to click on the link that musi has provided. You may also refer it to the "musicians" you hang out with :D

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

All aspects were really good starting from the alapana to tanam to neraval swaras and ragamalika korappu that had punngavarali, asaveri, dhanyasi, thodi, bhairavi
There's a reason for this choice. To be honest, ghaNTa sounds like it's some mish mash of all the above rAgas at different times. The only songs I've heard is the padam "neyyamuna" from the Brinda-Mukta school and sri kamalAmbikAya avAva of Dikshitar, and to my knowledge, no one in a century has attempted to sing an RTP in it. There's even a printed joke I remember reading a long time ago (maybe it was here) about TRS and S Ramanathan trying and giving up on it.

Thanks for the link to guruguha.org - I must listen today after getting home.

Even the resources we have in our ragas page is quite limited. viewtopic.php?t=6814

Now I really think I should have gone to the MA instead of IFA.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Post deleted.
Last edited by prashant on 21 Dec 2018, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

musi wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 23:04 This is apparently the first effort to sing a pallavi in Ghanta by any musician in the last century!
Shri N. Vijay Siva (in the company of Dr. Smt. R. Hemalatha, Shri N. Manoj Siva and Shri B. S. Purushotham) sang a sweet RTP in ghaNTA at the most recent Shri S. U. Sitaram memorial concert held at The Fine Arts Society, Chembur on 29.09.2018.

"kamalAm CaraNa kamalAm sadA bhajE, CApa ghaNTAdi dhrtakara" - khaNDa tripuTa tALa.

This is a composition of Shri R. K. Shriramkumar.
Last edited by prashant on 21 Dec 2018, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

rajeshnat wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 09:11 How long was the pallavi in ghanta , if possible even the alapana and taanam please .
I have heard few musicians jokingly in the past have given remarks like ghanta rAgam is vEra onnnum illai dhanyasi thappu thappa pAdina that is ghanta.
Post-season, all academy concert recordings will be avbl in the TAG archives. Do take the effort to go and listen to the recording, including the very lucid introductory explanation that Vidushi Sowmya gave before the RTP. Make those "joking musician" friends of yours listen too.

The entire RTP suite, including tani avartanam was about 50 minutes. Befittingly, the "main" item of the concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rupavathi wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 10:00 Post-season, all academy concert recordings will be avbl in the TAG archives. Do take the effort to go and listen to the recording, including the very lucid introductory explanation that Vidushi Sowmya gave before the RTP. Make those "joking musician" friends of yours listen too.
IIRC the joke was once told by the great TRS mama about ghaNTA ragam .TRS mama is whom I had in mind when I said that. I think there were some anecdotes on ghaNTA that were shared in this forum many years back. I am pretty sure if at all TRS mAMA had lived as of now , he would have come to academy to hear this ghANTA.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Post-season, all academy concert recordings will be avbl in the TAG archives
Shri N. Vijay Siva (in the company of Dr. Smt. R. Hemalatha, Shri N. Manoj Siva and Shri B. S. Purushotham) sang a sweet RTP in ghaNTA at the most recent Shri S. U. Sitaram memorial concert held at The Fine Arts Society, Chembur on 29.09.2018.

"kamalAm CaraNa kamalAm sadA bhajE, CApa ghaNTAdi dhrtakara" - khaNDa tripuTa tALa.

Oh good.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

prashant wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 09:55
musi wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 23:04 This is apparently the first effort to sing a pallavi in Ghanta by any musician in the last century!

Prashant,
This is the power of rasikas-bulletin board that truly rocks where we collaboratively search for accuracy unlike facebook where another opinion will neither be expressed nor will be expressed as tail comment 35 or 268 with 200 smileys in between which no one will ever read . I am assuming vijaysiva sang ragamaligas too as just ghaNTA would have been too small a raga as a standalone raga.

Also did you notice the mudra ghaNTA rhymes not just with the raga name but also the tala name khaNDa. Kudos to RKSK.

pperumal

Post by pperumal »

rajeshnat wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 09:11 Rupavati or Musi,
How long was the pallavi in ghanta , if possible even the alapana and taanam please
No offence but why this constant obsession with the duration? An artist may have sung a Ragam for 25 minutes but still failed to being out the swaroopam and vice versa too.
In my humble opinion, Time duration should be the last thing we should note down in any performance.
Apologies for the digression.

- PP

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

pperumal wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 01:19 Time duration should be the last thing we should note down in any performance.
Yes. Ideally number of avartanams will be a better measure for 1st & 2nd speed neravals & swaras. @rajeshnat Please take note :D

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Even rasikas have their own individual styles you know. It's not something that is only unique to musicians.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

pperumal wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 01:19
rajeshnat wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 09:11 Rupavati or Musi,
How long was the pallavi in ghanta , if possible even the alapana and taanam please
No offence but why this constant obsession with the duration? An artist may have sung a Ragam for 25 minutes but still failed to being out the swaroopam and vice versa too.
In my humble opinion, Time duration should be the last thing we should note down in any performance.
Apologies for the digression.

- PP
25 minutes of a boring alapanai. Takes me back by a dozen years. Oh gosh. So many of them from those days.
I am sure there are so many even now, just that one isn't fortunate to witness them.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

sureshvv wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 09:05
pperumal wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 01:19 Time duration should be the last thing we should note down in any performance.
Yes. Ideally number of avartanams will be a better measure for 1st & 2nd speed neravals & swaras. @rajeshnat Please take note :D
People measure things only with scales they possess. Can't wrong them.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Seems to have been an awesome concert.

Ghanta la pallavi. Wow. That's something. Indeed. Wish I could listen.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 10:27 I am assuming vijaysiva sang ragamaligas too as just ghaNTA would have been too small a raga as a standalone raga.
Just to be clear, the ragamalika here was not included as some kind of time filler. Ghanta is as large (or as small) as its allied ragas, each of which can stand an RTP on its own. All the selected ragas are various shades & hues of similar notes and the presentation was to motivate the rasika to compare and contrast them.

jodha

Post by jodha »

A quality oriented rasika will not at all bother about the quantity.
One quantity oriented rasika who writes long reviews also a great lover of RTP cannot put even adi talam correctly. I have observed him closely.The quality of reviews & reviewers is questionable and of great concern. Too many charlatans here. Of course we come across knowledgeable ones also occasionally.
That way rasikas looks very much hollow mostly.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Your alternative is to read the ones in the newspapers...all restricted to some 500 words. Or write your own.

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

I loved her Karaharapriya and senthilandavan rendition.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

A write-up by Sowmya herself, on Ghanta, in the Hindu FR:
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 959412.ece