Seetha Narayanan @MA 21'st Dec 2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
musi

Seetha Narayanan @MA 21'st Dec 2018

Post by musi »

Seetha Narayanan (Vocal)
V.V.Srinivasa Rao (Violin)
Kallidaikurichi S.Sivakumar (Mridangam)
A.S.Krishnan (Moharsing)

1. Varnam (Missed it)
2. Shri Gambhira Natya Ganapate - Nattai - Adi- PK Rajagopala Iyer
3, Sakala Graha - Athana - khanda chapu- Purandara Daasar
4. Pahi JagaJanani - Vachaspati - Swathi Thirunaal - Adi [V Short alapana - Neraval - Swaram ]
5. Sri Balasubramanya - Bilahari - Muthuswami Deekshitar - Misra Chapu [lots of interesting short Swaras]
6.. Sariyouvaramma - Bhairavi - Shyama Sastri - Khanda Jampai [ Alapana - Neraval - Swaram - Thani]
7. Koluvaiyunnade - Devagandhari - Adi - Thyagaraja [ was very fast and got over in 2 min, all sangathis were sung only once]
8. RTP - Saveri - Thisra Thriputa 4 kalai
Short Alapana
Tanam in 3 speeds
Pallavi
Atheetha eduppu
Words:-
Karimoravinaleda Hare Krishna
She sang neraval in all 4 speeds followed by Trikalam(Anulomam) and Thisram
Changed from 4 kalai to 1 kalai and sang swaras
Ragamalika - Valaji, Simhendramadhyamam, Kunthala Varali, Kapi
She sand all these in reverse order, concluded with Saveri.
Then She sang Pratilomam and concluded the pallavi
9. Bhajan in Sindhubhairavi [rakhiyo laaj hamari prabhu]

Lots of emphasis was on Neraval. She sang a lot of neraval in all 3 pieces..She sang 3 speeds of neraval and there were many rounds in both keezh kalam and mel kalam.
The concert was great. She didnt have any vocal support at 79 and her voice had no frills even in the upper octave.
All alapanas were short but it gave a sense of fullness just like how we feel about vintage masters though i felt saveri could have been longer.

Also I was happy I could listen to 2 rakthi heavy ragas saveri and bhairavi in the same concert.

rshankar

Re: Seetha Narayanan @MA 21'st Dec 2018

Post by rshankar »

Thank you for the review!

Wonder if the composer of #2 was (our) Punarvasu’s guru....

ramarama

Post by ramarama »

The varnam was Sarasuda (Saveri), in which she sang the first half in three speeds. I think there is some tradition in which the varnam is an indication of the RTP raga.

I heard this concert only until #5; it was a very sowkhyam-laden experience, listening to the Vidushi! These 9 am concerts at the Academy are such fantastic value for money :D

CRama

Post by CRama »

9 am concerts are free sirji.

ramarama

Post by ramarama »

That was an attempted joke, saar :D Guess the joke's on me!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

ramarama wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 10:55 That was an attempted joke, saar :D Guess the joke's on me!
My sympathies :D Your smiley was a dead give away. CRama may not have noticed it.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

ramarama wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 00:32 The varnam was Sarasuda (Saveri), in which she sang the first half in three speeds. I think there is some tradition in which the varnam is an indication of the RTP raga.
It is a tradition to sing varNam and pallavi in same rAgam.
musi wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 16:24 Lots of emphasis was on Neraval. She sang a lot of neraval in all 3 pieces..She sang 3 speeds of neraval and there were many rounds in both keezh kalam and mel kalam.
Again an old school practice. To have a long neraval in multiple speeds and to show a lot of intricacies and kanakku in neraval. To even incorporate a koraippu/korvai into neraval singing. Smt. Seetha does these things in her concerts usually. Hence, neravals tend to seem elaborate and long than other manodarma parts.

Wish i could have been to this concert.