TMK for Kalasagaram, 29th Nov 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shreyas

TMK for Kalasagaram, 29th Nov 2017

Post by shreyas »

I had posted this before, but only the list. Even that list had errors. Therefore I wrote this long post describing the experience.

Apologies: I know this is a very late time to be doing this, but I looked through the list and realised that there is a lot I missed in it. I will therefore rectify these errors, and possibly recollect and describe my experience at this concert.

Violin: Akkarai Subbulakshmi, Mrdangam - Praveen Sparsh, Khanjira - B S Purushottam (IIRC)

Song list:

1. Vanitaroi (Javali) - Anandabhairavi - Rupakam - Dasu Sreeramulu (O N S) About 22 min
2. Durusuga - Saveri - Adi - Syama Sastri (A N S T) About 30 min
3. Sri Vishwanatham Bhajeham - Ragamalika - Adi - Muthuswami Dikshithar (A Th) About 35 min
4. Marubari - Khamas - Adi - Dharmapuri Subbarama Iyer (O) About 6 min
5. Venkata Saila - Hamir Kalyani - Adi - Subbaraya Sastri (A N) About 21 min
6. Intha Chalamu - Begada - Adi - Veena Kuppaier (O Th S T) About 30 min
7. Krishna Nee Begane Baro - Yamunakalyani - Misra Chapu - Vyasaraya Teertha (O) About 11 min
8. Sarasa Sama Dana - Kapinarayani - Adi - Tyagaraja (O) About 5 min

First of all, it was a magnificent concert, albeit a bit short for my liking.

From the Anandabhairavi all the way to the lone Tyagaraja krithi, his brilliance sparkled in every note he sang.

The javali was the starter (the quintessential TMK introductory piece) and was sung at an unhurried pace. If I remember right, he sang Neraval (his usual, meandering freestyle) as well as first-kalam swaras at Bhasurangi. Honestly, I am not very fond of Anandabhairavi and so this did not appeal much to me, although there was nothing lacking in the way of presentation. This was, however, a reasonable quick affair. He then moved into some enjoyable second-speed swaras at Eevela Natho of the pallavi.

The next piece was the Syama Sastri masterpiece in Saveri - Durusuga Kripa Juchi. He started with a few signature Saveri phrases and then proceeded to explore the ragam in some new ways (just like his Surutti alapanas) where he found myriad new angles from which to touch each note. He handed it to Akkarai, who also displayed her idea of Saveri. This exchange continued for a few minutes. Honestly, I much prefer this format to the classical Vocal 10 min violinist 5 min template. Then he suddenly began Durusuga. Truth be told, at that time I had never heard this before (my reference to it being a masterpiece is, of course, due to my knowledge after this concert), and I enjoyed every bit of it. He sang neraval somewhere in the charanam, and some very creative first-speed swaram at 'Ippudu', at the end of the swara-sahityam. This was sung really well.

The piece de resistance of the evening was yet another beauty waiting to be discovered by this ignoramus sitting in the middle row - the Chaturdasa ragamalika (Yes, I had never heard this before) and Oh my goodness. It was spellbinding. Judging by his habit of singing standalone ragamalika alapanas, I saw no connection between Sri, Arabhi and Gauri, although now, it would be obvious. After some brilliant alapana and thanam exchanges between Krishna and Akkarai,he began the song. I hastily googled it, and followed the lyrics with him. He sang it with flair (TMK and Diskhithar are a lethal combo) but I think he faltered in the swaram during the Kambhoji and Devakriya sections (I'm not sure, he just paused after an apparent fumble, so that's what I'm guessing). This was easily the best piece so far, I thought.

He then sang a Marubari in Khamas (the second Javali of the evening). It was good, but not sung at the breakneck pace he sings it in on his December Season 2004 CD. To be honest, I did not enjoy it that much.

A nice Hamir Kalyani Alapana was followed by a vilamba kalam piece Venkata Saila by Subbaraya Sastri. I am, again, not that fond of the ragam. He sings it very well, but I did not enjoy this piece as much. It was quite good, just not to my taste.

As if to magically make up for my apathy, he started a Begada. Begada is my favourite ragam, and I expected a stellar Tyagarajaya Namaste, as in his Bangalore concert on 4th Feb 2015. However, when he started the thanam, I was a bit surprised. The thanam was excellent, alternating between him and Akkarai. It had quite a few new phrases I had never heard in Begada and was a treat for me. So after about 7 minutes, he suddenly began Intha Chalamu (one of the first varnams I learnt). I could hear gasps and laughs from the crowd. Notwithstanding its position in the concert, it was sung befitting a master. His deep and strong voice brings Begada out very well, and he sang just the varnam for eight or nine minutes, repeating phrases and lines again and again with creative embellishments. I especially liked it when he repeated the chittaswaram line N,DP,MPDP,MG,RPMG,RS,NDPSSGRG with three new tags at the end each time. He finished it up with some rapid swaras at the chittaswaram MGMPDMDPMGRGMP, and a thani by Praveen and Purushottam. The thani was pretty good, but I can't appreciate them much (I understand very little of what's going on up there.)

He then picked up Yamunakalyani. I was praying that it should not be Krishna Nee Begane, since I believe he has sung it at least a hundred times so far. I was hoping it would be the only concert I attended of his where he did not sing it, but, unfortunately, my wish was not granted. Nothing wrong with the rendition, just my absolute boredom.

He announced that he would end with one piece, then sang a five-second outline of Kapi Narayani. Just RMPDDDDD. Then he began. Of course, there were giggles and murmurs among the crowd. Javali at the beginning, Varnam in the middle, Sarasa Sama Dana back down there. With that, he closed the concert.

After the performance, a rasika got up onto stage and told him that the Chaturdasa Ragamalika was magic. He looked up and said 'Not mine, sir, it's Dikshithar's magic.'