Sriranjani Santhanagopalan at Venus Colony, 20-01-2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sureshvv

Sriranjani Santhanagopalan at Venus Colony, 20-01-2019

Post by sureshvv »

Accompanists
-------------
B.Ananthakrishnan
Vijay Natesan

Song List
--------
1. Varnam (Nera nammiti), Kaanada, Ata
2. Slokam (Sruti Smriti Puraanaam), Nagaswarali
3. Sri Sankara guruvaram, rupaka, Maha vaidyanatha sivan
4. Mayamma, Ahiri, adi, SS
5. Arunachalanatham smarami, Saranga, MD
6. Saramathy, Mokshamu galada, Adi, T, s
7. Sri rama saraswathi, nasamani, MD
8. Sankarabharanam, Mahalakshmi, misra chapu, Sivan, ns @ paarkadal
9. Muruganai bhaji manamey, jonpuri
10. Slokam, khamas
11. Tillana, Adi, LGJ
12. Mangalam

Observations
------------
1. Another memorable concert with a lovely Saramathi and a royal Sankarabharanam.
Last edited by sureshvv on 21 Jan 2019, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Re: Sriranjani Santhanagopalan at Venus Colony, 20-01-2019

Post by rshankar »

sureshvv wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 10:288. Sankarabharanam, Mahalakshmi, mc, Sivan, ns @ paarkadal
What does 'mc' mean?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

misra chapu :D

Venkat Ramachandran

Post by Venkat Ramachandran »

IIRc, Sri rama saraswathi is Nasamani....

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Thank you, Corrected.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The acoustics at the venue leaves much to be desired. They are building what appears to be a tin shed on the left side - so if you are sitting towards the front on the left side, the music gets drowned out in echo from the resonating tin shed. Sitting towards the back has less of an echo but the sound gets quite diffused. People were complaining about the terrible acoustics as they left - well after the concert was underway.

By trial and error, I found that sitting on the right side about 6 feet from the front speakers is ideal. On the plus side, it provides a closer view of the stage. And it is also rest room close :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sriranjani is such a delight to hear. She has everything going for her--voice, knowledge, verve, imagination, bhAva...

Is the rAgA called by both names? I have heard Maharajapuram Santhanam announce it as nAsikA bhUshaNi in the eighties, and that was a new rAgA and kruti for me then. Sanjay sang an RTP in that rAgA at Music Academy this year as well. Correct me if I am wrong...

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

arasi wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 09:46 Sriranjani is such a delight to hear. She has everything going for her--voice, knowledge, verve, imagination, bhAva...

Is the rAgA called by both names? I have heard Maharajapuram Santhanam announce it as nAsikA bhUshaNi in the eighties, and that was a new rAgA and kruti for me then. Sanjay sang an RTP in that rAgA at Music Academy this year as well. Correct me if I am wrong...
Nasikabhushini is correct. mAravairi ramani manjubhashini (often sung by Nookala Chinna Satyanarayana and Thanjavur S Kalyanaraman) is another kriti in this raga of Swami Thayagaraja. Also called as Nasamani.

Srirama saraswathi was often sung by Maharajapuram Santhanam.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

nAsAmaNi is the name of the rAga in the Dikshitar school (asampoorNa mElakarta) and it also uses phrases like S R3 S M2 P D2 N2 S also.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

sureshvv wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 16:32 The acoustics at the venue leaves much to be desired. They are building what appears to be a tin shed on the left side - so if you are sitting towards the front on the left side, the music gets drowned out in echo from the resonating tin shed. Sitting towards the back has less of an echo but the sound gets quite diffused. People were complaining about the terrible acoustics as they left - well after the concert was underway.

By trial and error, I found that sitting on the right side about 6 feet from the front speakers is ideal. On the plus side, it provides a closer view of the stage. And it is also rest room close :D
All said and done, there is an old world charm about the venue. I haven't been to the place for the ongoing series but understand that the place is getting a makeover.