Dr. V R Dilipkumar at Bangalore Gayana Samaja 17-feb-2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
hnbhagavan

Dr. V R Dilipkumar at Bangalore Gayana Samaja 17-feb-2019

Post by hnbhagavan »

V R DilipKumar - Vocal
Mathur srinidhi - Violin
Cheluvaraju- Mridangam
Guru Murthy - Ghatam

Bangalore Gayana Samaja hosts a monthly concert.This month of Feb V R Dilipkumar was featured.
Coming from Semmangudi school DilipKumar gave a splendid concert with great support from the Co artists..
Roughly I will try to put down the song list (I am not an expert at that)
Gajavadana beduve - Hamsadwani - PD
Sadachaleshwaram - Bhoopalam-Dikshitar
Ennudaya Barade - Kalyani - PD
Sitapathe Na Manasuna - Khamas - Thyagaraja
Vachamagocharame Manasa - Kaikavashi - Thyagaraja
Parama Purusha Hridaya -?
Evarimata- Kambodi -Thyagaraja
Tani - Excellent Cheluvaraju on Mridangam was great
Speech
left at this time.
The President of gayana Samaja Dr.MRV Prasad expressed that Rasikas throng the hall only by name.The audience numbered only 50 and he regretted the attitude of Rasikas not turning up if artist is not famous.
It was a sublime concert.
In case any Rasika from forum happenned to attend, I request him to fill in details.It is definitely worth the effort to attend Dilipkumar's concert.

Lakshman

Re: Dr. V R Dilipkumar at Bangalore Gayana Samaja 17-feb-2019

Post by Lakshman »

What was the rAgA of parama puruSa hrdaya?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

V R Dileep kumar is a brilliant musician . I was initially thinking may be HN Bhagavan made a mistake of prefixing Dr thinking he was Sreevalsan Menon . But just googling now I found he is Dr V R Dileep Kumar . Is he a musical doctor like Dr Hemalatha or is he agriculture scientist like Dr Menon. Can some body let me know?

Paramapurusha hrdaya is lalitapanchamam of SwatiTirunal

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Rajesh,

He was introduced as having doctorate in Music.He learnt under one of the disciples of semmangudi.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Here is a bit more details of what he sang..

01 gajavadana bEDuvE - hamsadhwani - Purandara Dasa ( O,S )
02 sadAchalEshwaram - bhUpALam - Dikshitar ( A,S )
03 innu daya bAradE - kalyANavasantam - Purandara Dasa
04 sItApatE nA manasunA - khamAs - Thyagaraja (A,N @ prEma jUci nApai)
05 vAcAmagOcaramE - kaikavashi - Thyagaraja ( A,S ) for about 30 mins
06 parama puruSa hrdaya - laLitApancamam - Swathi Thirunal
07 evari mATa - kAmbOji - Thyagaraja (A,N,S,T neraval & swara @ bhakta parADhiDunucu parama-)
08 shLokam ( kastUrI tilakam lalATa) - cArukundaLam ( some derivative of cArukEshi) & mAND
bArO krSNayya - mAND++ - Kanaka Dasa
09 nI nAma rUpamulaku - saurASTram - Thyagaraja
shLokam ( mangaLam kOsalEndrAya) - madhyamAvati

The kaikavashi was the highlight to me. Haven't heard anyone sing it so elaborate before. Kamboji was brilliant.
Last edited by braindrain on 18 Feb 2019, 14:24, edited 3 times in total.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

hnbhagavan wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 09:10 Dear Rajesh,

He was introduced as having doctorate in Music.He learnt under one of the disciples of semmangudi.
Started his learning under Krishnan Namboodiri and later under Mangad Natesan, who is the disciple of Semmangudi.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Mangad Nadesan really great but under rated vidwan

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Adding to the review Cheluvaraju's Mridangam play was really one of the highlights.He is definitely the leading mridangam Vidwan and can be rated as one of the best in the field.
Thanks to Badari for the details.I did not spot him in the venue.

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

Hi Rajeshnath,
He got his Doctorate in Carnatic Music based on his thesis "The concept of an ideal mind in Thyagaraja krithis." I got this information, given in introducing the vocalist, from a YouTube video, (watch?v=hzLjHSideSI).
And this: Dr V R Dilipkumar started learning Carnatic Music at age 5 from Sri. K M Krishnan Namboothiri, and later from Sri Mangad Nateshan. He has Masters Degree in Carnatic Music from the University of Kannur (First Rank holder and Gold Medalist).
Yesh Prabhu

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

HarishankarK wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 12:25 Mangad Nadesan really great but under rated vidwan
Honestly tell me how many lovely artists from Kerala have been valued / recognized, except the likes of KVN, MDR, Alathur Bros, Palghat Mani Iyer etc. There are so many of them ..... The same with artists from AP and Karnataka.
Parasala Ponnammal was introduced to Chennai Music Circles when she was in her 80s. At 80s she was so good, so one could imagine how she would have been in her prime ! But for Rama Varma, she wouldnt have been recognised better. The list goes on !!

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

ram1999 wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 14:19 Honestly tell me how many lovely artists from Kerala have been valued / recognized, except the likes of KVN, MDR, Alathur Bros, Palghat Mani Iyer etc.
Chembai, Mani Iyer, TNK, TVG, TVR, KSN, KVN (all SK winners). Then the likes of VVS, Dorai, etc who have won great acclaim.
Ponnamal Mami, Omanakutty, Velukutty Nair etc have been recognized with SKA.
KSG another acclaimed Keralite, who avoided the Chennai circuit.
Btw, Alathur Bros are not from Kerala. Their Alathur is in TN, not the one near Palakkad!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Not either moving to chennai or partly bangalore has its perils as sabhas and marriage concerts in only these cities help artist to get a more visible market. Having said few great musicians like sreevalsan menon and vr dileep used to have some opportunity that is nowadays gone in chennai. I have fond recollection of nadopasana sreenivasan who was so full of energy to yearly acoomodate dr menon. Also i am yet to see or hear any modern style marketing done by any present kerala based artists other than prince verma. They themselves stay and paint themselves in the corner. These musicians if they get academy some visibility at chennai else i have to go by trivandrum mail or lalbagh express to hear them.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

In an interaction a couple of years in chennai December season,Cleveland Sundaram remarked that 90% of Musicians get 10% market share and 10% of musicians get 90% of Market share. This statement is true as organisers want full house for the concerts arranged mostly by sponsors.Those not in limelight have to be satisfied with monthly concerts arranged by sabhas.
As is usual every major festival will feature likes of sanjay,RaGa,Bombay Jayashree etc.The musicians like VR Dilip Kumar,Srivalson Menon etc get featured in minor concert platforms which are not thronged by Rasikas.
The monthly concerts of Bangalore Gayana samaja is one such platform.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 17:00 In an interaction a couple of years in chennai December season,Cleveland Sundaram remarked that 90% of Musicians get 10% market share and 10% of musicians get 90% of Market share. This statement is true as organisers want full house for the concerts arranged mostly by sponsors.Those not in limelight have to be satisfied with monthly concerts arranged by sabhas.
As is usual every major festival will feature likes of sanjay,RaGa,Bombay Jayashree etc.The musicians like VR Dilip Kumar,Srivalson Menon etc get featured in minor concert platforms which are not thronged by Rasikas.
The monthly concerts of Bangalore Gayana samaja is one such platform.
A small correction

sanjay,RaGa,Bombay Jayashree etc. - musicians for the masses
R Dilip Kumar,Srivalson Menon etc - musicians who sing for discerning rasikas

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Sanjay yes but BJ's music is for the discerning as well
She doesn't pelt sangathi after sangathi like stones

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Is it just me, or does the term 'discerning rasika' strike anyone else as obnoxious? I think it is clear that here, as in any other art form, tastes are unique, and calling one type as more discerning is just not right. Fans of Salvador Dali may not appreciate Rubens....doesn't mean that one lot is less or more discerning than the other.