Saketharaman, V Ramakrishnan , Patri - @IFAA Dallas Mar 24, 2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Saketharaman, V Ramakrishnan , Patri - @IFAA Dallas Mar 24, 2019

Post by shankarank »

1. vasanta vaRNam

2. SrI dikshitar kriti in devakriya -
missed both. He announced them after item 3.

3. SimhEndramadyamam - rAgam , nIdu caraNamulE - miSra cApu, SrI k.v.SrInivAsa IyengAr.
Neraval @ vEda vEdAnta , svarams.

4. nIlAmbari - rAgam, mAdva mAmava, Adi, Sriman nArAyaNa tiRtha.

5. mukhya prANa - nIlamaNi - SrI purandaradAsa.

6. tODi - rAgam, cEsinadella - Adi , neraval@ Asa konnATTi nannalayincuTaku - svarams sung to Asa @ 3/4th as well as nannala for atItam. Final round he handed off at the latter spot and Patri played tani with most rounds to that atIta eDuppu before arudhi. Except one IIRC. tani featured khaNDa nadai variation.

7. kaRpUram nArumo - khamas - khaNDa cApu - SrI ANDAL

8. RTP - vasanta, bhairavi, vasanta bhairavi - an usual type that he presents in such rAgA name combos. tAnam in all 3 rAgAms, reverse and combined rounds.
Pallavi in khanDa tripuTa - 3/4th : || Sruti laya ragam(um or en) vasamtA | (7) bhairavi pAvani ||
svarams added Ananda Bhairavi and Sindhu Bhairavi

<<Correction>> : did not take notes - but came to me once I re-verified the setting
||(3/4) Sruti laya bhava sangItamen vasamtA | (7) bhai | ravi pAvani ||

yati goes like : takadhimi takiTA takatakiTA takatakiTA | tam..... (7) ta | kiTatam,, takiTa || tam,, (3/4)

9. peTra tai tan maga marandAlum - viruttam - savEri , repeated in bhImplas.

10. manamE kaNamum maravAdE - bhImplas. - Adi

11. Yaman KalyAni - tillana - SrI Lalgudi

12. pavamAna - Mangalam

The artiste was in his best forms yesterday. simhEndra madyamam only partly I was there. The kriti choice may not have been the best , but he added punch starting with vEda vEdanta and pApa karma , ably served by Patri with rhythmic boost. While the lines take off nicely, they seem to curl up towards the end. It felt like the artist was adding the verve by force during svarams etc.

nIlAmbari was rendered nicely with it's slow phrases and his silky nasal voice added the appeal. I think some echo boost was added to his mic, with the auditorium having it's own when it is not housefull.

It took sometime for me to get settled with it , before I could focus on his output.

Patri's accompaniment to the song was more folkish probably to gel with the mood.

After a quick interlude of nIlamaNi , he launched into a curly tOdi. It was all over the place in each stage, churning out the most exquisite phrases of all times, avoiding the usual methodical development or dwelling. A excellent tODi, that made us turn to each other when a brief Sindhu bhairavi showed up. One saha rasika shook his head, while the other placed his approval, saying the latter is indeed embedded in the former.

Ramakrishnan's reply was equally exquisite , trying match the excellence of the vocalist. His bowing also very flawless.

cESina tella was rendered in an apt pace, highlighting the rhythmic spots very well. svarams were done to ASa as well as nannAla , many times as a continuation of the former.

Patri as usual excelled in his support and in the tani. Played many rounds with nice progressions. A bit of a blare in his toppi was a minor irritant throughout. Not sure if it was the audio that caused it. He ended the final kOrvai at atItam for Saketh to pick it up from where he was given initially, at nannAla in the middle of the Avarta.

RTP with the choice of 3 rAgams is something expected of him these days. With vasanta bhairavi abutting bhairavi , the tODi in it ( yeah vakuLa bharaNam janyam alright ) spoke more than itself, especially during tAnam and svarams. May be my ears are confused. Writing what I felt.

RTP was skillfully handled by both Saketh and Ramakrishnan. He mixed up svarams to sahityam very well.

The tillAna was a nice ending and this is one delectable concert of his, compared to the last time, I have heard him in Dallas.
Last edited by shankarank on 26 Mar 2019, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Re: Saketharaman, V Ramakrishnan , Patri - @IFAA Dallas Mar 24, 2019

Post by shankarank »

Made some corrections to the pallavi line. sangItamen - definitely was there.