AMRITA MURALI IN VANI MAHAL- 25/3/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

AMRITA MURALI IN VANI MAHAL- 25/3/19

Post by CRama »

TAMIL ISAI VIZHA
ACCOMPANISTS
R.K. Sreeramkumar- Violin
Manoj Siva- Mridangam
Anirudh Athreya- Ganjira
List of songs.
• Vakkundam Nalla manamundam- Virutham- Mayamalavagowla
• Vaa Saravanabhavaa Nee vaa- Bilahari- Koteeswara Iyer (S)
• Ramanukku mannan mudi- Anandabhairavi- AK
• Kannaale kanden Verondrum ennaamale nindren- Saveri- GKB (R,N,S)
• Ekkalathilum maravene- Natakurinji- Ramaswamy Sivan
• Toomani maadathu- Hameerkalyani- Tiruppavai
• Aadum deivam nee arulvay- Kambodi- PS (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Vazhga nirantharam Vazhiya tamizh mozhi - Ragamalika- Bharatiyar
• Kundralarntha malar- Pasuram- Ragamalika
• Vazhiya senthamizh- Madhyamavathy-BHaratiyar

A superb concert by Amrita Murali and the team. Amrita is endowed with a malleable voice, sruti sudham, vidwat, voice throw, manodharmam, hard work and stage presence. Her concerts have been appreciated for the classism and sowkhyam elements by the rasikas. In this concert, many songs were new. Ramanukku mannan mudi in Anandabhairavi- I was surprised. Perhaps that would have been prevalent before Ariyakudi tuned the Ramanataka songs. The song in Saveri is a heavy weight one- Just like Sree Rajagopala or Kamakshi Gowri. Vilamba kalam. Never heard any Gopalakrishna Bharathy’s songs on Tiruvannamalai. This song resembles Dikshitar kriti in the description of the Lord and Ambal and the temple of Tiruvannamalai. Very long charanam. It was rendered well with neraval at the lines Annamalayanai Unnamalayudan Kannale kanden and elaborate swarams.

Ekkalathilum Maravene was presented with absolute peace in the DKJ patantharam.

Both the ragams Saveri and Kambodi were presented well showing the authentic sancharams along with a few striking innovative sangathis well structured. Her voice throw matched her abundant manodharmam. The main kriti Aadum Deivam Nee Arulvay was presented well. The dramatic charanam lines were sung with bhavam and I missed the neraval in the lines Subham ser Kaaliyudan aadi. MS used to sing mind boggling neraval there. Amrita sang very imaginative neraval on the pallavi lines and ornamented with kalpana swarams.

The post tani pieces added to the fervour of the Tamil Isai festival. Vazhga nirantharam was sung in Jonpuri and maund. The other Ragamalika (I presume it is a pasuram. Somebody can give more information on the song) contained Yamunakalyani, Nadanamakriya, Peelu and Sindubhairavi. IN this song, each stanza ended with the words “Tiruvenkadam adai nenjame”.

R.K.Sreeramkumar embellished the concert with his vidwat laden accompaniment. Manoj Siva and Anirudh Athreya supported with their well balanced, unobtrusive accompaniment and the thani was greeted with repeated cheer.

An excellent concert for two hours and ten minutes.

thanjavooran

Re: AMRITA MURALI IN VANI MAHAL- 25/3/19

Post by thanjavooran »

Excellent review as usual. A very good selection of songs from different composers.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
26 03 2019

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CRama wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 11:12neraval at the lines Annamalayanai Unnamalayudan Kannale kanden and elaborate swarams.
uNNAmulayALuDan...uNNAmulaiyAL = apitakucAmbAL, right?

CRama

Post by CRama »

Shankar, i anticipated this question. But she sang as i had written. I noted that even while she sang. But i dont lnow why she made that mistake

arasi

Post by arasi »

CRama,
Thanks for the review. An all tamizh concert by Amrita Murali. Such good pieces too!
vAkkuNDAm (not vakku), nalla manamunDAm by avvaiyAr.
Haven't heard rAmanukku mannan muDi tandAlE in Ananda bhairavi. so far Heard only the hindOlam version by Ari and many others after he tuned it.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Arasi, pl give some information on the pasuram i have mentioned. Tiruvenkadam adai nenjame.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CRama,
There are a number of pAsurams starting with kunRu--kunRameduthu, kunRamEndi, etc. Can't find the one you have in the list. if you can recall some other words in it, we can find it.
What about Arunachalak kavi's song?

arasi

Post by arasi »

'ninRa mAmaruthiTRu vIza' is the closest opening line--with the 'vEngaDam aDai nenjamE' refrain.
It also has a line 'senRu kunRameDuthavan'.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

CRama wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 08:33 ... pl give some information on the pasuram ... Tiruvenkadam adai nenjame.
periya tirumozhi 10 pAshurams
by tirumangai AzhvAr :-
http://acharya.org/dp/2/01-perith20/ptm ... ha-eng.pdf

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks a lot Arasi madam and Pratyaksham Bala Sir.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

I came across the ragamalika pasuram listed second to last today, thanks to @CRama. I was so impressed by the piece that I immediately embarked upon a mission to find out its origins. Here are my findings.

Like @Pratyaksham Bala mentioned above, it is the first four stanzas of the "kongalarndha malar" Periya Thirumozhi by tirumangai AzhvAr. The link he's posted above is the pAsuram transliterated in English. Here are the lyrics in the original Tamil, on the same website.

I am not completely sure, but I think the credit for setting this composition to tune is due to RK Shriramkumar. At least, that is what the description in this Youtube video of a little girl singing this same composition says. This video's description also includes the meaning of the lyrics as well, which is very illuminating and helps appreciate the song better.

I also highly recommend Ramakrishnan Murthy's rendition of this song, which is absolutely stirring to say the least. The fact that he's the direct disciple of RK Shriramkumar also imbues his rendition with the stamp of authenticity in my mind, as he would have received the song in first person direct from the source, gurumukhena. He prefaces the ragamalika with an equally fantastic virutham, the "chediyaya" pasuram from the Perumal Thirumozhi which is due to Kulashekhara Azhwar in Yamuna Kalyani (the first raga of the ragamalika).

I must say that RK Shriramkumar has done a terrific job in setting the 4 stanzas to tune. The highs and lows of the song, together with the emotional qualities of the ragas chosen had a visceral effect on me. That was in addition to the standalone grandeur of the classical Tamil lyrics, which I got to appreciate fully only after I learnt their meanings in the video of the little girl.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Isn’t vidushi Amrita Murali also Sri Sriram Kumar’s disciple?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, Ravi, That's my understanding.

I have heard cheDiyAya valvinaigaL sung beautifully by TVSankaranarayanan as well.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 01:22I have heard cheDiyAya valvinaigaL sung beautifully by TVSankaranarayanan as well.
ceDiyAya valvinaigaL for me is synonymous with Smts. MSS and Radha's prefix to Sri P. Sivan's paean on the Lord of the Seven Hills (SrInivAsa tiruvEMkaTamuDaiyAn....)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, indeed, Ravi!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Bhasi, Kudos to you for your research and bringing out valuable information about the pasurams. Shows how much RKM music has engulfed you. When I heard the same by Amrita Murali, I also got drenched in the sahithyam and sangeetham aspects. Now, I again heard the pasuram by the little girl and RKM and enjoyed. Your passion for good music will take you to places. All the best to you.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

@CRama Thank you most kindly for sharing the RKM concert which led to my discovery of this song, and for the best wishes.

I found a high quality standalone chaukka kaalam First Editions Arts recording of this composition by (who else :D) RKM again.