Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - IFAA Dallas April 27, 2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - IFAA Dallas April 27, 2019

Post by shankarank »

Missed few items..
PurvikalyANi rAgam
appA naan veNDutal – kanTa cApu – vaLLalAr svAmigal
viewtopic.php?t=7950
neraval @ tappEdum nAn ceydum

mALAvi – Alapana –
ninnuvina vEravaru – rUpakam ½ eDuppu, SrI GNB.
https://karnatik.com/c3068.shtml
svarams.

SanakaraBaraNam – Alapana
SankarAcAryam – Adi 2 kaLai – SrI Subbarama dIkshitar
Don’t remember if there was neraval.
svarams and tani

inta celuvakE – yAgapriya – Adi – Sri PurandaradAsa
https://twitter.com/sanjaysub/status/10 ... 9031226369

RTP jayantasEna
sA | gasamA kiLiyE || (7) | connadai cey || diDA
caturASra rUpakam. 1- kaLAI

Pallavi went for 2 Avartas unusually. eDuppu was 1 -1/2 anAgata. Arudhi of pURvAnga was landing at tALA samam post laghu, given that tALA krama has dRtam first. eDuppu is after the vIccu ( palm up) of the dRtanga.
kamAs??, jOg, amRta vArshiNi

ennamO vadaiyai??? …mAlE - kamas

japat japat harinAm - rAgam - yamunakalyANI?? , additional rAgAms nilamaNI? - behag , sindhu bhairavi - Pardon me these are from my notes and I may be grossly wrong on some of these. Imagining stuff may be.

pUraNi manOnmaNi dayapari parAtpari - viruttam
????
BhAgESRI??
kEdAragauLA
kApi
madyAmavati - launching into:
karpagamE - Adi – SrI Papanasam sivan
eppO varuvAro - jOnpuri – AdI – SrI gOpalakrishNa bhArati

Sounded like a tiruppugazh – missing words – cencurutti
Mangalam

Another memorable concert from a veteran musician. I will find out the beginning items rendered if I can that I missed. The puRvikalyANi sAhityam was rendered with much bhAvam. And also the neraval. He excelled in svaraprastAra with nice mathematical interludes that had kArvai filled svara passages.
mALavi Alapana was very intricately done. I was expecting that there will be something different from nenarunci , but couldn’t guess as I have not listened to the GNB piece before. There was a nice cittasvaram.

SankarAbharaNam was rendered in his own inimitable style, with some chords interluding at some point. SrI Varadarajan made it a point to include in his reply as well. It was a majestic viniyAsam.
SankarAcAryam was rendered with the respect that it specifically deserves being on an Acharya – SrI MahAdEva sarasvati. Svara prastAra included familiar intersperses from the rAga vaRNam: sAmi nine and also nice one Avarta svaras. Final round of svara featured a khanDa naDai insert.

tani by Sri Venkatesh was brilliant and vibrant. After the applause eliciting kOrvais in caturaSra naDai, he launched into a signature miSra naDai of the pazhani school and went into what I think is called miSra triSram, i.e. doing 3 7(s) in space where a 7 or even multiple of 7 is done. Mohra had some twists in the way it was expressed.

Jayanta sEna rAgam was a surprise selection for the RTP. Identifiable from SrI tyAgarAja’s signature drop phrases ma-ga-sa, she at times brings suddha dhanyAsi, kannaDa gaULA, suddha hindOLam ( the one one also known as varamu) to mind, during the handling.
tAnam was done in a brisk pace.

caturaSra rUpakam with two Avartas was somewhat an unusual setting. Especially had a doubt on the arudhi being at the end of a tALA Avarta, necessitating a second Avarata for uttaragam. For a 4-1/2 Aksharam it could be done atItam to the dRtam in a two kaLai caturaSra rUpakam and Arudhi could land on madyAvarta. Had a conversation with him and he mentioned that Sri TMT does Arudhi after dRtam , but the Chengelpet school does after the laghu.

After getting home as I scratched my memory about rUpaka tALA, I rememebered one from Dr BMK’s renditions – rUpakam converted to navamukhi tALA . gAna | (sankIRNa cApU) lOla nI lIla lella jalara || (sankIRNa cApU) (5) murALI, where gAnA starts on vIccU (palm up). Here also pURvangam also ends after laghu , but then his saShabda kriyas both of them have a 9 mAtra cAPU embedded and his uttarAnga is a nice and short namesake of his : “muraLI” that fit within the cApu after a 5 kARvai to boot. Slick muraLI!

Another memorable concert from SrI Sanjay.

rajeshnat

Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - IFAA Dallas April 27, 2019

Post by rajeshnat »

shankarnk
How long was the concert excluding introductions and speeches?Tx for the review. I have once heard a jayanthasena pallavi from vijaysiva.

arasi

Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - IFAA Dallas April 27, 2019

Post by arasi »

Shankarank,
The yAgapriya Purandara dAsara kriti starts as: entA cheluvage magaLanu koTTanu--to what a beautiful character did giri rAJA give his daughter away! In tamizh, it would go as: eppaDi ippaDi azhagu piRakka oruvanukku avaLaik koDuthAn giri rAjan? Same thing, but the expressions convey that differently. Of late, Sanjay has been picking one of a kind verses in kannaDa to sing. akka mA dEvi's beTTada mElondu maneya mADi is one. What he sang as dEvara nAma at Boston was a mini tour of Udupi by PD .These aren't the standard kannaDa songs which non-kannaDigAs happen to sing often.
appA nAn vENDudal kETTaruL puridal vENDum was one I heard from him around fifteen years ago and was struck by the bhAva it was soaked in. As is his wont, Sanjay didn't sing it much later, in order to make room for others, and replenish his stock.
khamAs tukkaDa was ennamO vagaiyAi varugudu mAnE, annamE, munnamE? etc.
Last edited by arasi on 07 May 2019, 02:54, edited 2 times in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

When he started singing mALAvi kriti it was 5 PM ( I noted down). I went in when pURvikalyANI Alapana was coming to close by Sanjay. Concert ended around 7:15 PM about 3 hrs, may be add 15 min likely.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Regarding entA cheluvagE, I've heard it been rendered in karnATaka devagAndhAri by Ramakrishnan Murthy and that version is fresh in my mind. I find that there's a lot of internal resistance to listening to the original version in yAgapriya :)

CRama

Post by CRama »

I have not listened Entha cheluvage, the Yagapriya version. Thrissur Ramachandran used to render in a brisk Tisra nadai in Sankarabharanam and would append elaborate swaras to it. Enjoyed many times.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The first time I heard the beautiful nindAstuti, enthA celuvagE, if was from Smt. DKP (bhImplAs?). IIRC, Sri. Vijay Siva also sings it.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Which raises the question: how many songs of Purandara Dasa are being sung today, as he sang them? God only knows :)