Smt. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam at Charlotte on April 30th 2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
hamirkalyani123

Smt. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam at Charlotte on April 30th 2019

Post by hamirkalyani123 »

Accompaniments:
Vidushi Ranjani Ramakrishnan (Violin)
Shri Karthick Narayanan (Mridangam)

At Gandhi bhavan, Charlotte.

Kanada rAga varNam - Nera nammiti
PranamAmyaham - gOwla - w
Sri swAminathAya namastE 🙏- khamAs of dikshitar - reached the venue just in time for this beautiful rendering.
Raju vedale - thOdi - Tyagaraja
MOhanakara muthukumara- nItimati
Idi samayamura inakula tilaka - chAyanAttai - Tyagaraja
MadhyamAvati - elaborate alApana - pAlinchu kAmAkshi - syAma sAstry with neraval and Swarams at kAntamagu kArunya moorthy - followed by taniyAvartanam
Sarvam brahma mayam- set to tune by Dr S Rajam sir - sadAsiva brahmEndra
Virutham followed by mAmava mAdhava of saint nArAyaNa theerthar
MaIthreem bhajata- paramAchArya
MangaLam

Overall it was a scholarly concert by Smt. VS with emphasis on rare ragams like nItimati which her guru stressed the need to keep singing them in concerts which otherwise would become obsolete. Ranjani's returns and her own alapana versions were equally good be it thOdi or the madhyamAvati. Karthick provided able support on Mridangam.

A concert worth the drive from Raleigh to Charlotte and listening to.

rajeshnat

Re: Smt. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam at Charlotte on April 30th 2019

Post by rajeshnat »

sarvam brahmamayam was tuned in madhuvanti by s rajam sir. thanks for the review hamirkalyani123. any info about mrudangist guru there is a vocalist also by that name right.

hamirkalyani123

rajeshnat - Chrompet G. Suresh. He lives in cary currently. I am not aware of vocalist by the same name.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Chromepet Suresh raleighed and rallied enough to create charlotte karthik narayanan. IIRC Ranjani Ramakrishnan who plays very well was also once a mumbai Indian. If you do know of more schedules of VijiSubra do post in events. I would have felt bit sad if I land in ,,,,,,, where in I especially miss kAnadA and gowlai. Is this a 2 hour concert?

hamirkalyani123

sure will do rajeshnat. Both my sons learn from Ranjani Ramakrishnan. One of them learning violin and plays at concert level and the other learning vocal.

Smt. VS did give couple of programs over the last weekend at Toronto and Chicago. I don't know her schedule beyond last weekend. Will keep you posted if I know of anything.