Amrutha Venkatesh on 5/11 for SSVT's Papanasam Sivan/Ambujam Krishna Celebration

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Ranganayaki

Amrutha Venkatesh on 5/11 for SSVT's Papanasam Sivan/Ambujam Krishna Celebration

Post by Ranganayaki »

Amrutha Venkatesh (Vocal)

Rajeev Mukundan (Violin)
Arjun Ganesh (Mridangam)

1. Kharaharapriya : Ganapathiye Karunanidhiye (swaras @ Ganapathiye) - Papanasam Sivan

2. Todi: Tanigai VaLar Saravana Bhava - Khanda Chapu (Neraval, swaras @ "Tulli Vilayaadi Varum Togai Mayil Mele") - Papanasam Sivan

3. Mohanam: Kapali - Adi - Papanasam Sivan

4. Karnaranjani - Om Namo Narayana - Khanda Chapu - Ambujam Krishna (swaras @ Om Namo Narayana) - Ambujam Krishna

5. Atana - Thyagarajaswami Padambujam - Adi - Ambujam Krishna

6. Lathangi - Piravaa Varam Thaarum - Adi - Papanasam Sivan

7. Kambhoji - KaaNak KaN KoDi VEnDum - Adi ( Neraval after the charanam was sung @ Anupallavi: MaaNikkam Vairam Mudal NavaratnaabaraNamum, Swaras, Tani ) - Papanasam Sivan

8. Senchurutti, Punnagavarali, Nadanamakriya: Kannanidam Yeduthu Solladi - Adi - Ambujam Krishna

9. Sindhubhairavi - Vadaname Chandrabimbamo - Adi - Papanasam Sivan

10. Khamas - Viruttam - Naal En Seyyum (Kandhar AlangkAram by Thiru Arunagirinathar ) (http://kaumaram.com/alangkaram/alangkaram_ss038_u.html) + Senthil VaLar Sevalane - Papanasam Sivan

11. Sahana (on request): Vandanamu Raghunandana - Adi - Thyagaraja

12. Brindavani - Tillana - Adi - Balamuralikrishna

13. Mangalam - Pavamaana Sutudu - Saurashtra - Adi - Thyagaraja

This was a wonderful, flawless, thoroughly enjoyable, almost 3-hour concert.

rajeshnat

Re: Amrutha Venkatesh on 5/11 for SSVT's Papanasam Sivan/Ambujam Krishna Celebration

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranganayaki wrote: 12 May 2019, 08:17 Amrutha Venkatesh (Vocal)

Rajeev Mukundan (Violin)
Arjun Ganesh (Mridangam)

This was a wonderful, flawless, thoroughly enjoyable, almost 3-hour concert.
Ranganayaki,
Amrutha Venkatesh was and is a wonderful singer. Rajeev and ArjunGanesh are always flawless. May we all know how the concert was thoroughly enjoyable ? I am assuming you are putting the song list from some one else post . If my hunch is right you may have even attended Raga sisters and few more please do write.

Ranganayaki

Re: Amrutha Venkatesh on 5/11 for SSVT's Papanasam Sivan/Ambujam Krishna Celebration

Post by Ranganayaki »

Someone else's post? I am sure I've misunderstood your meaning, but I'm stumped ! I jotted this list down myself 😊! I'm trying to collect my thoughts, will write more of course. The concert got done just a couple of hours ago.. I posted this list to make sure I write about it - I've been too lazy to write lately! 😏

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Seems like a Tamil special concert except for a couple of items towards the end.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Yes. Papanasam/Ambujam Krishna day. The Thyagaraja Kriti was sung because someone requested Sahana. I wonder what she would have sung otherwise.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Both have sanskrit compositions to their credit(?). Could have included one or more of them.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

om namo narayana tunesmith is amrutha's early days guru vidushi charumathi ramachandran.

ranganayaki
the style of bolding etc was,un ranganayaki . with ur assurance that u have put that you will write is nice. Thanks

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

True
Sri PS' sanskrit compositions are all gems and few could have been included
Hope this concert comes up on youtube

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rajeshnat wrote: 12 May 2019, 09:53 om namo narayana tunesmith is amrutha's early days guru vidushi charumathi ramachandran.

ranganayaki
the style of bolding etc was,un ranganayaki . with ur assurance that u have put that you will write is nice. Thanks
You actually thought I took someone else's post or notes! That's an indecent thing to do! I would never do that without immediately acknowledging them in the same post, even if they were not a member here.

There is more than the bold letters, I listed the ragas first too.. It was me 😊.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

sureshvv wrote: 12 May 2019, 09:31 Both have sanskrit compositions to their credit(?). Could have included one or more of them.
That is a valid point since it is a celebration of their work. This is a bit lop-sided, yes.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Once I had occasion to compliment Ms. Amrutha on her wonderful rendition of the Karnaranjani song. (I am not fond of this raga but was immensely moved by her song). She said, "this has been tuned by my guru Vid. Charumathi-ji. It is her wonderful creation and she sings it gloriously". She mentions Charumathi-ji always with the highest regard.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Just realised SSVT is in Chennai
This concert was not advertised anywhere
That's really so bad
I would have definitely attend had I known

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Except that this Sri Siva Vishnu Temple in the US, where vidusi Amrutha is on tour... unless you're saying that the US has become an extension of Chennai!

arasi

Post by arasi »

One of my favorites of AK's songs is sadA smarAmi sAkEta rAmam in AbhOGi.
Something I sing to this day!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The theme for the Charsur December Festival of 2018 was "Sanskrit Compositions" and I was particularly impressed that Papanasam Sivan's compositions were included in the repertoire.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Amrutha V got into the thick of things right away with a honeyed alapana in Kharaharapriya. It was brief, lasting just a couple of minutes, but it was all there from the lower madhyama to the Tarasthayee Ma, without being too weighty. I had never heard Rajiv Mukundan before, but he returned the alapana in kind: short, capturing her approach beautifully. The swaras were very engaging, culminating in a torrent of sarvalaghu and a simple korvai from each of them. AV commented that this raga can be considered Papanasam Sivan ‘s “sottthu” as he has composed this song, and also Janakipathe and Senthil Andavan, which she said were “all in such beautiful moulds of Kharaharapriya. We can actually just take the entire song and sing it as an alapana and it will be a beautiful version of Kharaharapriya.”

The neraval in Todi on “Tulli Vilayadum..” had me feeling at a couple of fleeting moments that she was being playful herself, it was very enjoyable and again I was quite surprised that the Todi kriti was in second place, so early in the concert. At the end of the song, she mentioned that she had learned the kriti from Parassala Ponnammal, who had received it directly from Papanasam Sivan himself.

The concert kept going with beautiful ragas and songs: Karnaranjani, Lathangi. I paid attention to the lyrics, following them, and found myself very touched by the Anupallavi of Pirava Varam Taarum:

Pirandhaalum thiruvadi
Maravaa varam thaarum..

All along, the accompanists were excellent, Arjun Ganesh was playing with a light touch for her, except, naturally, when he was accentuating pauses with beautiful rhythms/phrases. Rajiv Mukundan played flawlessly, mirroring her style and her approach beautifully and followed her perfectly, giving her all the space her voice needed. I especially appreciated his tendency to play in the lower octave, which was far more pleasant than the usual high-pitched, squeaky tones of the violin while accompanying women singers. When the swaras came torrentially, he played, thankfully, an octave lower. During the swaras for the main piece, he alternated the octaves, which added interest and periodically brought relief from the higher notes well before they could get tiresome. His style and competence made me think of Kamalakiran.

AV and RM played and sang very cheerfully, with enjoyment, and both of them smiled throughout the concert, I wondered how they kept it up.

I was following the lyrics to KaaNa KaNN Kodi and was looking forward to the Anupallavi which is shown having an unusually large number of lines, quite like a charanam in a major song (karnatik.com/c1579.shtml) and I was wondering how it would be sung, but I was to be disappointed: she only sang the first two lines and the song was done too quickly. Still, the neraval on the Anupallavi line was fantastic with lots of imagination, flawless tempo, and the words and dense syllables flowing faultlessly with ease.

The tani was a lot of fireworks, enjoyable. Though I can often tell when the korvai begins and how many avartanas to each iteration, this time it was already so complex that I could not tell what was going on, except that it was culminating in increasingly complex patterns.

The post-tani was far too quick, clearly the end was coming. The viruttam was nice, though I didn’t particularly enjoy the song, which had a folksy feel to it.

She seems to have represented all her gurus, with Charumathi Ramachandran having set to music Om Namo Narayana, Parassala Ponnammal as mentioned above and Dr. BMK and Sri Rama Varma in the Brindavani tillana.

For a concert that began so promisingly, it was disappointing that there was no RTP. We found out later that she had planned one, but ran out of time, due to a poor decision by the organizers, who chose to accommodate all the latecomers for individual singing, even though the artists were already at hand. It was a 2.5 hour concert, not a 3-hour one.

Amrutha V sang beautifully in spite of an accident she had had. She had sprained something, her ankle or her foot, and had a big bandage on. She was unable to sit down, so the elevated wooden dias was split into two to seat the acccompanists separately on either side, and she was seated on a chair between the two platforms. It didn’t look odd or unusual at all.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 12 May 2019, 19:03 Except that this Sri Siva Vishnu Temple in the US, where vidusi Amrutha is on tour... unless you're saying that the US has become an extension of Chennai!
Haa haa
My regret is now much lessened

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

arasi wrote: 12 May 2019, 21:26 One of my favorites of AK's songs is sadA smarAmi sAkEta rAmam in AbhOGi.
Something I sing to this day!
Recording available anywhere to listen to??

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

What about
Enna Seidhaalum
Kaakka unakk irakkam
Saraswathi Annaiye
and the most peaceful
Srinivasa Tava Charanam
All are gems
Not sure if Tyagarajar has composed more of PS has composed more in K.H.Priya

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

HarishankarK wrote: 13 May 2019, 21:08
Haa haa
My regret is now much lessened
Sorry, I misssd writing the location: Lanham, MD. I think the SSVT you mentioned is in T. Nagar?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

HarishankarK wrote: 13 May 2019, 21:12 What about
Enna Seidhaalum
Kaakka unakk irakkam
Saraswathi Annaiye
and the most peaceful
Srinivasa Tava Charanam
All are gems
I quoted her as she said it, i don’t think she meant to ignore the rest of the compositions or give an exhaustive list, but I think she certainly conveyed the importance of Papanasam Sivan to this raga.

Given the beauty of these songs and Thyagaraja’s Do you think the count matters? A few more or less would just be numbers, in my mind.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Agree, no comparisons

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranganayaki wrote: 13 May 2019, 13:03 For a concert that began so promisingly, it was disappointing that there was no RTP. We found out later that she had planned one, but ran out of time, due to a poor decision by the organizers, who chose to accommodate all the latecomers for individual singing, even though the artists were already at hand. It was a 2.5 hour concert, not a 3-hour one.
Just a thought for all the Foreign based organizers,
Looks like constraints especially when some individual local junior singers had to sing before amrutha venkatesh is understandable . But if extension is done by say another 30 mins than the scheduled time it is OK . I am assuming this temple hall is unlike a rented hall where end time can be bit extended . This place Maryland near DC is very very safe .

Looks some where post main Amrutha Venkatesh was quite intelligent to suggest let me not lose 30 mins , by singing Kannanidam Eduthu solladi , but still no luck. Best wishes to Amrutha in her journey in Phily, Seattle and Chicago , hope she recuperates with her sprain, any case Arjun Ganesh and Rajeev Mukundan are always there.

Thanks Ranganayaki for the review. Looking forward to get more reviews.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

HarishankarK wrote: 13 May 2019, 21:12 What about
Enna Seidhaalum
Kaakka unakk irakkam
Saraswathi Annaiye
and the most peaceful
Srinivasa Tava Charanam
All are gems
Harishankark
Add one more DayavillayA dayAlO , another house in melakartha 22 colony owned by tamil thyagaraja.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Appan avathariththa kathaamrutham is amazing in it's own right
Paramugam en aiyya - is really very dull and depressing song as it should be based on the
lyrics - it perfectly evokes the mood of the song

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rajeshnat wrote: 14 May 2019, 10:38

I am assuming this temple hall is unlike a rented hall where end time can be bit extended . This place Maryland near DC is very very safe .

Yes, it’s safe, I think all temple parking lots are very safe all over the country.

Time used to be extended before, but now concerts cannot go on past 9 pm as the temple closes at that time.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Anyone knows if Amrutha had a fall in the US?
Saw videos of her concert, she is sitting on a weird marriage reception sort of asana and two crutches are kept near her. Portland Balaji temple concert videos

Hope all is well with her

The concert is excellent