Concert in Bay area

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

Concert in Bay area

Post by thanjavooran »

Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 4:30 p.m.
Vidwan Sri. Ramakrishnan Murthy - Vocal Concert
Vidwan Sri. Hemmige V Srivatsan - Violin
Vidwan Sri. B Srivatsan - Mridangam

Venue: Cubberley Auditorium (STANFORD campus)
485 Lasuen Mall, Stanford, CA 94305

Sound adjustments for the byravi ata thala varnam. at 16 15 hrs.
The 180 mts Concert started exactly at 16 30 hrs.
Varnam in Kambodhi
Asaaveri . Mapala . R N S
Hari Kambodhi . Enadhu Manam . N S
Arabhi Pancharathnam . R
Kalyani . Biranavara R N S
Karakara priya . Chakkani R N S Thani
Varali . RTP . Adhi thaalam . Kanta nadai.
In ragamaliga . Sahana, Nayagi, Mohana Kalyani Ataana
Pallavi . Janani thava prema . samam
In ragamaligai
Parukulle nalla nadu
Kurinji Swathi thirunal
Jagadhotharana
Mangalam

My observation
An excellent concert for 18o mts. He has thorough knowledge of the krithis he is rendering. Without spoiling the padham he does niraval. Spashtam with clear accent . Hemiige did his part as usual with his vidwat.. Mirudangam Srivatsan played well and his Thani was crisp. Closely followed with a smiling face throughout.
Rendering of RTP Ragams in ragamalika and Pallavi in different Ragas was found to be unique. There was absolute alignment of eduppu at every time which Hemigge also replied. Immediately after Elaborate Kalyani he took up Karakarapriya without a break.
The concerts of SIFA are always arranged in different venue reason not known. May be non availability of auditorium. This can be avoided by well planning a year ahead.
The present concert was inside Stanford University and one has to walk nearly one Kilometer to reach the hall since most of the route is bicycle zone. The huge hall was full and Rasikas sat till the end. The 180 mts concert was extremely nice.

Corrections are invited from Rasikas who attended with more details.

Thanjavooran
14 05 2019

bhasi

Re: Concert in Bay area

Post by bhasi »

Thank you for your review! RKM and Hemmige Srivatsan must have been just lovely. Alas, I was unable to attend this concert. But I'm not all that worried because I'm going to catch RKM in Tustin in a couple of weeks! Very excited.

rajeshnat

Ramakrishnan Murthy@Bay area on May 12th 2019

Post by rajeshnat »

B Srivatsan mrudangist name is new to me . I am assuming he is based out of US. May i know bit more about him?. IMHO having concerts in venues like Stanford is even better idea , more new faces will come in and they are young too and they will add better long term stickiness . THank you thanjavooran for your review, if possible change the title either you or mods.

is this a free or a ticketed concert
Last edited by rajeshnat on 15 May 2019, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanjavooran, thanks for your lovely review. Glad that you are getting chances of hearing RKM in U S, which many times you are missing in Chennai. Have a nice time overseas.

thanjavooran

Re: Ramakrishnan Murthy@Bay area on May 12th 2019

Post by thanjavooran »

rajeshnat wrote: 15 May 2019, 07:55 B Srivatsan mrudangist name is new to me . I am assuming he is based out of US. May i know bit more about him?. IMHO having concerts in venues like Stanford is even better idea , more new faces will come in and they are young too and they will add better long term stickiness . THank you thanjavooran for your review, if possible change the title either you or mods.

is this a free or a ticketed concert
This is a ticketed concert arranged in association with few more organizations besides SIFA.
Reg Shri Srivatsan I am being told he is Shri Guruvayoor Durai’s student.
Currently he is a Graduate (M.S.)student in . Condensed Matter Physics at University of Illinois Urbana champaign.
He is a product from IIT Chennai
Further details not known.

Thanjavooran
17 05 2019

rshankar

Re: Ramakrishnan Murthy@Bay area on May 12th 2019

Post by rshankar »

thanjavooran wrote: 17 May 2019, 22:59 IIT Chennai
AFAIK, it is still IITM(adras) @ Chennai... Suresh/Bharath et al may know better. :)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Yeah retains the brand - IIT madras at chennai