Sanjay Subrahmanian for SMF 9/6/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MV

Sanjay Subrahmanian for SMF 9/6/19

Post by MV »

Vocal Sanjay
Violin Vittal Ranganath
Mridangam Tanjore Murugaboopathy

1) Adi Tala Varnam in Sri
2) Brindavanalola Thodi Roopakam KS
3) Yaarendru Raghavanai Yadukula Khamboji AK
4) Durusuga Saveri SS RN @ Parama pAvani KS
5) Jaladhisutha Ramana ST Chala Nattai R
6) Nannu Brovamani Hamir Kalyani Badrachala Ramadas
7) RTP Kharaharapriya in Khanda Ekam
8) Kandedara Udipiya Krishnaraya PD
9) Noolai Padi Bharatidasan

MV

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanian for SMF 9/6/19

Post by MV »

I came to Sydney for other reasons But you can’t go anywhere else when Sanjay is singing in town :D So SMF it was for me Also best treatment for Music hangover ( after NZ weekend) is music itself

And it was so worth it. I made no notes but there were such gems tucked in there I thought the knowledgeable rasikas family can discuss it while I head out for the day

Also the earlier Fusion concert Jayanthi Kumaresh and Anil Srinivasan was refreshing and delightful Unusual synergy two unlikely instruments in the hands of two experts

Yup An afternoon very well spent

MV

Post by MV »

I came to Sydney for other reasons But you can’t go anywhere else when Sanjay is singing in town. Besides the best treatment for Music hangover (after NZ weekend ) is Music itself.

And it was so worth it I took no notes but there are such gems tucked in here. I thought the knowledgeable rasikas family can discuss it as I head out for the day.

Earlier I heard Jayanthi Kumaresh and Anil Srinivasan It was refreshing and delightful. An unusual synergy between two unlikely instruments in the hands of two experts Very enjoyable.

That was an evening very well spent

mohan

Post by mohan »

Had issues logging on to the forum. Here's my list. Really enjoyed the kharaharapriya alapana whicih was a trip down memory lane bringing in touches of Semmangudi, Madurai Mani and so many other past masters!

Sanjay Subrahmanyan - vocal
Vittal Rangan - violin
Tanjavur K. Muragaboopathy - mrudangam

1. sAmi ninNE kOri - SrI - Adi - karUr dEvuDu ayyar
2. bR.ndAvana lOla - tODi - rUpaka - tyAgarAja (s)
3. yArendra rAgh avanai - yadukulakAmbhOji - Adi - arunAcala kavi (r)
4. durusuga kR.pajUci - sAvEri - Adi - SyAmA SAStri (r, n, s)
5. jaladhisutAramaNEna hi sOham - calanAta - Adi - svAti tiruNAL
6. nannu brovamani cheppave - yamunAkalyANi - cApu - badracalA rAmadAs
7. RTP - kharaharaprIya (tAnam also in bEgada, subhapantuvarAli, mOhanam)
‘porumayudan ....’ khanDa jAti Eka and tani avartanam
8. kandaNa udupi krSna - durga - cApu - purandaradAsa
9. nUlai paDi - bEhag - rUpakam - bhAratidAsar
10. virutam in kAmbhoji, vArali, AbhEri, carUkEsi, hamsAnandi, nAtakurinji, sindhubhairavi
11. idavO tillai cidambaram khestram - sindhubhairavi - Adi
12. nAdrudim (tillaNA) - gambIravAni - Adi - T K gOvinda rao
13. Tirupughazh
14. Mangalam

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Nannu brovu main is usually sung in Kalyani and not Yamuna Kalyani or Hameer Kalyani

arasi

Post by arasi »

Harishankar,
I heard it in Yamuna Kalyani two years ago. Not having heard it in Kalyani or Hamir Kalyani before, it sounded good to me. You can listen to it on YouTube, Varadarajan and Venkatesh accompanying :)

This is the same brOvamani cheppavE you mention?

Mohan,
Good to get the detailed list from you, the expert--and to hear from you too!

tamizh lyrics corrections:
3: yArenRu rAghavanai eNNinIramma
7: RTP orumaiyuDan ninadu tiru malaraDi ninaikkinRa RAmalinga ADigaL aka vaLLalAr

MV,
Mainland hopper :)

MV

Post by MV »

Mohan,

Thanks for the detailed list. Oh yes, Kharaharapriya was outstanding and so was Vittal's reply. Kalyani, Hamir or Yamuna or just-it was very pleasing indeed :)

Both the tamil songs-yArendru Raghavanai and Noolai Padi had amazing lyrics. Must go and read the full poetry again.

Arasi... what a worthwhile hop it was :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 02:37 3: yArenRu rAghavanai eNNinIramma
O Arasi
Have you not told me few times that this song YArenRU rAghavanani in yadhukulakambOdh by arunachala kavirayar is your favourite number . Now with your favourite musician singing it this must please you maximum.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Please excuse my Tamil errors and thanks for the corrections arasi!

Vittal Rangan's kharaharapriya was very nice but I thought he struggled a bit in yadukulakambhoji.
Also while Sanjay was singing alapana he kept on touching the Pa at inappropriate times, which I found a bit distracting. Perhaps this was due to the hypersensitivity of the microphones (maybe a condenser mic)! Great opportunity for him to accompany the master and I am sure he will improve over time.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Vittal Rangan on the violin! Nice to see someone other than Varadarajan (who is brilliant)... Somehow I like how it was couple of decades back, where there was a nice mix and match - instead of standard accompanists like today.

Durusuga.... what a brilliant composition. I have heard it rendered very differently, each a classic in its own way - MSS, DKP, Brinda, Vedavalli.. would love to hear Sanjay's... maybe sometime soon in Bengaluru :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

G_G,
Vittal Rangan was invited this year by SMF to play for several concerts in Australia and New Zealand. It was H.N. Bhaskar last year.
True, in Bengaluru of late, it's Varadarajan and Venkatesh who accompany him most. Yet, in TN and Kerala, the combination can vary.
But the trio make it so special--with their understanding of and appreciation for each other.
Durusuga, a song I like too, in a rAgA I am partial to...

Rajesh,
Yes, another rAgA dear to my heart is yadukula kAmbhOdi. yArenRu rAghavanai is a super song. I don't think I have heard Sanjay sing it, but in his four hour concert on the Ist of 2018, he sang sAvEri rAga (a joyous one) and as I was expecting him to sing durusugA, he came out with annai JAnaki vandALE, which took me back to Ari's exuberant exposition of the song decades ago. I remember that many of Arunachala kavi's songs were sung in those days.

Ninnu sEvichina janulaku and Sri rAma, jayarAma we hear in that rAgA :) but there's a mega-favorite of mine which Iam hoping to hear in my life time (clock ticking away!). A song which I treasure, but no one picks it up :(

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

arasi: Chembai has sung ninnu sEvincina here:
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/kasturi/ ... i_Kucheri/

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Lakshman!

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

My most favorite rendition of ninnu sevinchina is by Vedavalli. Out of the world. I have heard Sanjay sing this too.

arasi

Post by arasi »

G-G,
Lakshman sent me the Vedavalli one today-Lovely. I have heard Sanjay sing it a few times. It's moving. The song I spoke about is something else.Who knows? Lakshman might have a truly well-rendered one in his cache. I sing it often, but would love to hear it sung by someone eminent who brings out the bhAva fully...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi what is the krithi that u have in mind

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I am sure you would zero in on it before anyone else:)

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Concerts of Sanjay are very rare in Bangalore now.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

arasi wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 02:37 Harishankar,
I heard it in Yamuna Kalyani two years ago. Not having heard it in Kalyani or Hamir Kalyani before, it sounded good to me. You can listen to it on YouTube, Varadarajan and Venkatesh accompanying :)
This is the same brOvamani cheppavE you mention?
https://youtu.be/ly_XSBNhOFE
This one is the most common version I have heard and it is definitely not YMK. Hope he did not sing like this version- I couldn't find the Sanjay rendition in YouTube

mohan

Post by mohan »

No it wasn't the version Dr BMK used to sing - was definitely in yamunakalyani

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Okay