Jayanthi Kumaresh & Anil Srinivasan - Sydney - 9 June 2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
mohan

Jayanthi Kumaresh & Anil Srinivasan - Sydney - 9 June 2019

Post by mohan »

Jayanthi Kumaresh - vIna and Anil Srinivasan - pianO
KV Prasad - mrudangam

4pm to 5:50pm

1. AnandAmR.takarshini - amR.tavarshiNi - Adi - muttusvAmi dIkshitar (r, s)
2. sujana jIvana - kamAs - rUpaka - tyAgarAja (r, s)
3. marivEre gati evaramma - Anandabhairavi - miSra cApu - SyAmA SAStri
4. rAgam in simhEndra madyamam, tAnam in simhEndra madyamam, kApi, pUrvikAlyani, vasanta followed by instrumental composition in simhEndra madyamam
5. Sri rAmacandra (bhajan) - yamunAkalyANi - cApu - tulsi dAs (Bobby Singh played tabla for this item)
6. tillANa- mAnd - Adi- lAlgudi jayarAman
7. tunban nErgil - dEsh - Adi - bhAratidAsan

arasi

Re: Jayanthi Kumaresh & Anil Srinivasan - Sydney - 9 June 2019

Post by arasi »

Mohan,
Two artistes, I like a lot, each for the good music and their own individuality which they bring to a performance. To me, Anil Srinivasan is a contained, low-key personality whose music is very soothing while it is erudite--particularly when it comes to the western side of it. How he plays any CM music is equally serious and very pleasing.

Jayanthi Kumaresh is dynamite. Her energy which is tempered by her vidvat and that would have been a fine combination. Her music moves me no end.That sujana jIvana and Ananda Bhairavi, and a simmhEndra madhyamam played by both of them to top it all would all have been very pleasing, indeed.
tunbam nERgaiyil yAzheDuthu nI by Bharathidasan.

MV

Post by MV »

arasi wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:33 To me, Anil Srinivasan is a contained, low-key personality whose music is very soothing while it is erudite--particularly when it comes to the western side of it. How he plays any CM music is equally serious and very pleasing.
Jayanthi Kumaresh is dynamite. Her energy which is tempered by her vidvat and that would have been a fine combination.
JK is no surprise-the energy and vidwat she brings is amazing. I have never heard AS before and it was an eye-opener. I was interested to see how the piano would handle Anandha Bhairavi. AS did let JK take the lead and more there. But all the others, specially Thanam and Kalpana swarams were very impressive. Really enjoyed that. :)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

It's sad that Veena solos are becoming extinct. Leave the Veena alone with just percussion support will be my dream....Now the only times I get to hear good solo Veena concerts are 100.1 on the Radio.
PS: Am a big fan of Jayanthi's music

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

"I get to hear good solo Veena concerts are 100.1 on the Radio."
+1

arasi

Post by arasi »

The one other time I heard Anil with a vina( and other instruments) was when he played with B.Kannan and others, years ago at Bharath Kalachar. My generation listened to quite a bit of the harmonium in drama, bhajans, movies and in northern music recitals, and its accompaniment still prevails.
The piano is a much finer instrument to play a duet with, in my view--and Anil is an accomplished player at that.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I also thought that Jayanthi's Vina with her cousin Anuradha playing the violin at Cleveland a few years ago was inspired playing. I have heard Anuradha accompanying others, and her students performing so well too, but that evening, the Lalgudi flame was lit, and how pleasing it all was!