GirijaShankar Sundaresan@Madurai on Jun 15th ,2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------------
Vocal : GirijaShankar Sundaresan , disciple of chitravina narasimhan and chitravina Ravikiran
Violin : Gyan pappu dev - disciple of pantula rama
Mrudangam : Akshay Ananthapadmanabhan , disciple of Subash chandran
Tambura : Rajya , wife of Girijashankar

Concert Type : Nirvana and I paid
Time/Day : 6pm to 08:50 pm , saturday
Sabha : Ragapriya
Hall : Hotel Fortune Pandyan

Just a week back work pushed me to this place Madurai for few weeks. The place is new for me ,have stayed when very young for few days but as such I have no relatives here . Around 5 pm on 15th June , I was thinking O GOsh i wish i was in madras to hear a concert . Why am i struck here other than the joy of saving 3 buckets of water that I would be using each day in Madras . I just had a chance to glance the newspaper with The Hindu in my hand. I could see in the editorial the photo of Girijashankar and a two liner that said Hotel Fortune Pandyan and the start is 30 mins before 6pm. There is no chance i can miss this and I just hoped the hotel is not that far from where i was put up temporarily.Hooray it is just madurai and i reached the venue 15 mins before

On the disclosure side I and Girijashankar share a common cousin. We both had only had 2 interactions in his life time , one was in his marriage reception in tiruvanmiyur where we hardly knew much. THe previous was my shared cousin marriage atleast 3 or 4 years back , that was the time the buzz was there in the family that he is singing CM . No one in my family knew my general deep interest in CM but I had a chance to talk with him for 45 mins . His music that day was just singing few carnatic bhelpuri songs that everyone in marriage will think great but will not pass any muster in kutcheri venues .Roughly a year back when i went to attend a nisha rajagopal at velachery this vidwan Girijashankar sang the last 15 mins which was my first 15 mins of him. Impressive atleast I was gunning to hear a more full fledged concert . 3 decades back i attended the marriage of this Girijashankars mom and dad in arcot-vellore , his mom bhuvana was the common relative .

01. gaja vadana karunA(R,S) - shree ranjani - Psivan
2 mins alapana and 4 mins swaras
02. Shobillu sapthaswara (S) - jaganmohini - T
5 mins swaras

03. ennai nee maravAthE (R,S)- Amruthavarshini - MM dandapani desigar
8 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
6 mins swaras
04. marukElara O raghava - jayanthashri - T

05A. KripAya pAlaya shaurE (R N S T) - chArukEsi - ST
13 mins alapana and 7 mins violin return
neraval in naradha mukha muni for 7 mins
12 mins swaras
05B. tani for 7 mins

06. kumaran taal - yadhukula kAmbOdhi - Psivan
07. pooonkuyil koovum - Hindustani Kapi (Piloo) - kalki

08. RTP in hamsanadam for 30 mins
6 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return
6 mins taanam
Pallavi and ragamaliga in rest of the time
Pallavi line --- varadE shAradE sakala shubadhE , sharadindu vadanE pAhi
ragamalika swaras in hamnAdam + shankarabharanam + hamsanandi

09. teerAda vilayattu pillai - ragamaliga - bharathiyar
10. chinnan jiru kiliyE - ragamaliga - Bharathiyar
11. Thilllana - taka dheem ta dheem ... tanjam - dEsh - LGJ
12. nee nama roopamulaku
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 Jun 2019, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: GirijaShankar Sundaresan@Madurai on Jun 15th ,2019

Post by rajeshnat »

GirijaShankar started with few extra minutes of tuning tambura where i was bit frustrated that we lost 10 mins beyond 6 pm . His wife strummed and he began with a lovely alapana of shriranjani . Shriranjani is a raga that is like giving a glass of coconut water after starving for a day . What a joy his texture was smooth and silken and as he sang the alapana my mind went towards a ramnad krishnan brocheVa revarE ,but he surprised with a gajavadana karuna . This pillaiyar krithi a DKJ Special is a spectacular one with a quick touch of swaras was superb start. Sriranjani will never sag and I liked his start

He moved on to another spectacular sobillu sapthaswara and it came out very well continuing with lovely momentum . The whole state needs rains and the only good thing that is happening well despite the lack of rains is that we are getting more share of amruthavarshini ragam in kutcheri mEdais. Amruthavarshini was neither pushed with aggression nor dealt softly. Girijashankar sang wonderfullly and I liked his choice of a thamizh krithi ennai nee maravathE with a lovely followup of swaras . No luck on rains yet in madurai but amruthavarshini is threatening every day with only cloud but not translating with rains .

The fast filler was just a krithi without swaras , one can see the influence of say a Ramnad krishnan or a kvn there then a swashbuckliing mmi or ssi when one sings just the krithi marugelara . THe charukesi was sung well but he could have given a bit more masculine shade , atleast the tinge of charukesi's sister constant fighting sister sarasangi was in my head for some time. Swati's number was expected by me as it is a 2 kalai krithi than more popular submain stature adamOdi galadE . I was right the song was sung with clinical precision not much experimentation to bring in any dynamics in neraval , in swaras he attempted well and I was very satisfied

At the start of the concert I went to him and said the concert start is 6 pm and if by any chance do you have a night journey back to chennai . GirijaShankar said no no only tomorrow i am heading back , I asked him to sing RTP. Girijashankar said the organizers did not prefer and told him not to sing RTP. I said go ahead and sing RTP. I personally had no clue about the sabha and the organizers.

I just realized at the end of the main girijashankar was asked by a gentleman to briefly introduce the artists . Girijashankar introduced and thanked the organizer who was seated few rows in front of me who was also doubling up as a photographer .Girijashankar started with the thukkada tail with yadhula kambodhi teaser kumaran taal and moved to an outstanding rendition of poonkuyil koovum , he sang so well that kalki number and all were moved to tears.

Around that time the organizer whose name i came to know bit later Shri Ravi sat in front of me . I asked the organizer Ravi if i can ask girijashankar to sing a RTP . Ravi said no problem you can ask him it is just 8 pm, if he is ok and I am okay. I felt at that point DeivamE ravi and at the end of kalki poonkuyil . I told girijashankar "Organizer is ok for you to sing a short RTP". Girijashankar got bit perplexed and said after tukkada RTP ya . I said that is why I asked for a short RTP . Girijashankar decided to take a plunge and what a joy it was when the raga itself was that therapeautic Hamsanadam . He sang beautifully with nice share of shruthi suddham and more importantly the spacing in alapana and taanam was well done - Ramanathapuram krishnan was assisted by KVN. May be i was bit disappointed that he did not go mel kalam in taanam but i only asked short RTP.The pallavi line was cute and the ragamaliga downpour was chiselled with gamaka suddham , all three swaras were well done the shankarabharanam and hamsanadam bit egged in trough and the hamsanandi took it more to the crest .He faithfully traversed in reverse and got all the rasa intact , there was no sudden unwanted mathematics there to state that I am a pallavi gadothgajan.

Girijashankar was sweet to ask the audience if there was any request . Few ladies said bharatiyar paatu and one gentleman said lalgudi thillana . Then with bharathiyar pattu the first requester asked teerada vilayaatu pillai and another lady said chinnanjiru . I got what i wanted with RTP and i liked the chinnanjiru bit more than teerada vilayaatyu. Lalgudi desh was a besh tillana and he winded up well.

The violinist pappu gyan dev is pantula rama's student and he is having the same temperment and style like MSN moorthy . I have not seen pantula play violin yet.When Girijashankar sings pappu keeps the bow 90 degrees without touching the violin and his press was excelllent . Possibly he has to trim a bit in alapana return. Akshay played well with sensitivity bit more muscle may help.Tani was crisp but nothing to rave about.

Jigarathanda special claps:
--------------------------
Special shout out for Ravi of ragapriya . This sabha is in 50th year of existence . He is also planning to conduct a week bonanza of concerts soon celebrating Madurai Somu in his centenary. I am already in enna kavi padinalum neelaveni tears as i cannot attend . When i have time i will publish photographs. It is surely a joy to hear concerts where my all time favourite carnatic artist was born.

GirijaShankar sundaresan is a gifted vidwan . His voice texture is not intensely masculine . His approach is very very leisurely . I can definitely vouch the influence of Ramnad krishan in terms of gamakasuddham and a bit of shruthi adherance of KVN is always there . Romba sampradaya sangeetham for sure . I only wish him to build bit more vocal muscles and bit more ideation in mel kala neraval and swaras would take him much higher. I personally think despite hearing him for the first time that he would be a competitor to Ramakrishna Murthy. One has to give it to him for his consistency, very watchful planning and execution with a focus on the aesthetics focussed on first intense parameter which is shruthi with great gamaka suddham . Best wishes to him .

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 50 mins.

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

Any recording of this concert? As a fan,I would love listening to him.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeevsid wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 09:37 Any recording of this concert? As a fan,I would love listening to him.
Rajeevsid
YOu can approach the vocalist girijashankar, he did a recording in the mobile.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeevsid wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 09:37 Any recording of this concert? As a fan,I would love listening to him.
Rajeevsid
YOu can approach the vocalist girijashankar, he did a recording in the mobile.