Kumaresh and Jayanti Kumaresh at Ragamalika, Abu Dhabi

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
nsridhar22

Kumaresh and Jayanti Kumaresh at Ragamalika, Abu Dhabi

Post by nsridhar22 »

20190620 Swara Raga Sudha 2019 organised by Pradosham Ragamalika

Violin - R Kumaresh
Veena - Jayanti Kumaresh
Mridangam - Arjun Kumar
Ghatam - Giridhar Udupa

1. Strings Attached - Nattaikurinji followed by short speech
2. Ananda Natanam Aadum Thillai - Poorvi Kalyani - Neelakantan Sivan
3. Abheri
4. Seetha Pathe - Khamas
5. RTP - Kaapi ragam followed by Thani Avarthanam. Thalam given by percussionists
Swaras of Kapi, Sahana, Nalinakanthi, Revathi and many other ragas
6. Special Mangalam with Suruti Harivarasanam, Madhyamavati, Bhagyada Laksmi etc

Swara Raga Sudha is an annual event organised by Pradosham/Ragamalika of Abu Dhabi. It is a musical festival organised over a period of two days. The first concert of this year's program was an instrumental rendition by the husband-wife duo of Sri Kumaresh on the violin and Smt Jayanti Kumaresh on the Veena. As mentioned by Sri Kumaresh in the concert, this was the first time the duo were performing together in this region of the world. They were accompanied by Arjun Kumar on the Mridangam and Giridhar Udupa on the Ghatam.The concert start was delayed due to extensive sound checks done by the artists. This reduced the duration of the concert, but the concert was an excellent one in spite of this. Generally as a tradition, Veena performances are not accompanied by Violin. In fact violin made its entry to Carnatic music only in the last 200/300 years. However in recent years I have seen and heard some Veena concerts with violin accompaniment. The sounds produced by Kumaresh and Jayanthi Kumaresh were very good since they came with their own sound box connected to the instruments directly. The overall effect of this was quite pleasant to the ears and the sounds of both the Veena and the violin were heard quite sharply and distinctly. They had titled the concert as "Strings Attached".

The list of the krithis/compositions rendered are listed above.

The concert commenced with a special composition in Nattaikurinji which was titled as "Strings Attached" which was a pleasant beginning. Nattaikurinji as a ragam calms down the mind and brings some serenity and this krithi also had the same effect.

Next, was a rendition of the krithi - Ananda Natanam Aduvar Thillai in Poorvi Kalyani of Neelakantan Sivan. Since the concert was being rendered under the banner of Pradosham Ragamalika, Smt Jayanti Kumaresh explained that this was an apt choice for rendition. Both the Nattaikurinji as well as the Poorvi Kalyani were rendered quite elaborately.

This was followed by a short rendition of Abheri. I could not recognise the krithi being played. This was again followed by a Khamas krithi - Seethapathe of Thyagaraja. Next came the main piece of the evening. Raga Kapi was rendered quite elaborately and was a classical rendition of this raga. The raga was followed by a Thanam. Generally, in such instrumental combinations, the tendency is to explore different avenues and this sometimes nudges the artists to go out of the carnatic boundaries and include other forms of music to appeal to the audience. However, this was a pure classical rendition of the Kapi raga, even though Kumaresh jocularly made a pun on the name of the raga. The Thalam as well as the Pallavi was decided by the percussionists who played a small Thani Avarthanam with the Thalam. After this the Pallavi was rendered . As a part of the pallavi, swaras of Kapi, Sahana, Nalinakanthi, Revathi and many other ragas were rendered. (I could recongise these ragas and at the end there were many quick changes in the ragas). The overall RTP itself lasted more than an hour.

The percussionists Arjun Kumar and Giridhar Udupa gave energetic support to the artists and there was a very excellent co-ordination among all the artists. Since all the artists were from Bangalore (as mentioned during the felicitation speech), I think they have performed together many times before. One noticeable factor in the concert was that Jayanti would end her playing with a sharp stop. After a brief pause, Kumaresh would take up the next round of playing which provided a great effect.

The concert concluded with a special mangalam which started off with Harivarasanam and had a Madhyamavati piece and concluded with Bhagyada Laksmi Baramma.

rajeshnat

Re: Kumaresh and Jayanti Kumaresh at Ragamalika, Abu Dhabi

Post by rajeshnat »

NSridhar -HOw long you lost the concert for sound adjustments and how long was the concert after the actual start.

Nsridhar22 you got the janya of Kharaharapriya which is melakartha 22 as main RTP.IIRC i have heard once Jayanthi playing Kaapi i was floored. Thank you for your crisp and lovely writeup.

nsridhar22

Post by nsridhar22 »

rajeshnat wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 18:05 NSridhar -HOw long you lost the concert for sound adjustments and how long was the concert after the actual start.

Nsridhar22 you got the janya of Kharaharapriya which is melakartha 22 as main RTP.IIRC i have heard once Jayanthi playing Kaapi i was floored. Thank you for your crisp and lovely writeup.
The concert was supposed to begin at 7.15 pm. The artists got on stage just before 7 pm and the concert started by 7.45 pm. It went on till 10.15 pm. To be fair, the artists had made a request for a sound check which they said would take some time. Unfortunately it was not foreseen in the original schedule which was planned.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

nsridhar22 wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:51 The concert was supposed to begin at 7.15 pm. The artists got on stage just before 7 pm and the concert started by 7.45 pm. It went on till 10.15 pm. To be fair, the artists had made a request for a sound check which they said would take some time. Unfortunately it was not foreseen in the original schedule which was planned.
Nsridhar22,
If the concert had begun dot 7:15 pm how long would the concert be,If you do know then please share?If it was supposed to finish at say 09:45 pm then it is okay for that sound check, but if they had curtailed from 3 hrs or a 2 hours and 45 mins concert to 2 and half hours concert, that is not to my liking . For me personally even a 10 min loss is a gamechanger, in 10 mins i can usually get an extended neraval or a darbari swara in ragamaliga.

nsridhar22

Post by nsridhar22 »

The concert was scheduled to end by 10 pm. We must have lost around 15 to 20 minutes.