A BLESSED EVENING IN THE HOUSE OF MAESTRO ISAIGNANI ILIAYARAJA

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

A BLESSED EVENING IN THE HOUSE OF MAESTRO ISAIGNANI ILIAYARAJA

Post by CRama »

Navarathri in Isaignani Ilayaraja’s houe is very famous. Besides the huge Kolu kept in the traditional manner with kalasam, they are holding a music concert in the evening on all the days where only select few people get admission. Last year I got invitation from Sankaran Namboodiri and attended . This year, on 4 Oct 2019, Gayathri Girish gave a beautiful performance accompanied by Usha Rajagopalan on the Violin, Mudhra Bhaskar on the Mridangam (I forgot the name of the Ghatam vidwan). I was fortunate to get the invitation for the concert.

There is tight security in the house and unless you have got somebody to recommend, you will not get admission there. As I entered, I felt a great vibration – bringing to my mind the innumerable songs he had tuned which I enjoyed in 80s and 90s. The concert maintained a high standard - a thematic concert of all Devi kritis with measured manodharmam elements fitting the venue and the occasion. Gayathri’s voice was in full form, bringing out the best of her imagination and ideas. The divine atmosphere, presence of the genius Raja Sir and other rasikas brought out the best of musical acumen and imagination from the artistes. The concert lasted for two hours- 7 PM to 9 PM. The acoustics gave much problem initially and got settled from the third song. You can not compare this with a Sabha concert. But what happened after the concert makes it a cherishable occasion for all those who attended.

After welcoming the artistes (no speech) Maestro Raja Sir sat in the adjoining drawing room where the kolu was kept and enjoyed the concert till the end. There was good crowd for the concert. There were a few chairs, sofas etc for people like me to sit. The hall was full and some people were sitting in the adjacent room. I think many in the audience were the artistes from the orchestra of the Maestro. After the concert he came out and appreciated the artistes. They were taken to the nearby Pooja room, had arti performed there by Vadhyars and all were given prasadam, and honoured with garland, ponnadai etc. The great Raja Sir was very magnanimous and coperated for taking photos by many people which lasted for twenty minutes. IN that process, I also came forward and took a photo with him. Last year, I was hesitant. For many people like me, it was happening as if in a dream. I got some time to talk to the maestro and told him about my writing in rasika.org , sruti, samudhra etc. But he barely responded. He received every thing with a smile or nod. Gayathri Girish told him about my reviews in rasikas.org. As many people had told me earlier, he is a man of few words. After the photo session, we had nice dinner, served in plantain leaf, sitting on the floor. The course were peni ( a sweet famous in Bangalore), Sambar vadai, Kancheepuram Idli, Masal Dosai, Rava khichdi and badam milk. Raja Sir sat on the sofa and ensured that we were served all things in good measure. Such a great man and his hospitality. Unbelievable. All the other members in the house were also much courteous and friendly. I am uploading a few photos taken on the occasion.

Now, coming to the concert, the list of songs.
Varnam- Ranjani- GNB
• Ganapati taalai karuthidai vaippom- Nata- BHaratiyar. (S)
• Sivakamasundari- Jaganmohini- GKB
• Hiranmayim Lakshmim- Lalita- MD (R)
• Akhilandeswari- Dwijavanthi- MD
• Devi Neeye tunai- Keeravani- PS (R,S)
• Neepadame gati- Nalinakanthi- GNB (R)
• Nitham unai vendi- Virutham- Chandrakauns
• Chandiran oliyil avalai kanden- Chandrakauns
• Unnai allal vere gati illai Amma- Kalyani –PS (R,S)
• Tani avartanam
• Kaakkai chiraginile- Brindavanasaranga- Bharatiyar
• Tamboori meettidava- Sindubhairavi- PD
• Jaya jayati jaya Raghuvamsa bhooshana- Pantuvarali- Bhajan
• Muralidhara Gopala- Maund- PT
• Mangalam

All the accompanists provided very good support and embellished the concert well. The thani was well appreciated by the discerning audience. A cherishable evening.
Last edited by CRama on 07 Oct 2019, 12:46, edited 3 times in total.

CRama

Re: A BLESED EVENING IN THE HOUSE OF MAESTRO ISAIGNAI ILIAYARAJA

Post by CRama »

I have requested Rajesh to upload a few photos as I am not able to accomplish that. Thank you Rajesh.

CRama

Re: A BLESED EVENING IN THE HOUSE OF MAESTRO ISAIGNANI ILIAYARAJA

Post by CRama »

Thanks again Rajesh.

CRama

Re: A BLESED EVENING IN THE HOUSE OF MAESTRO ISAIGNANI ILIAYARAJA

Post by CRama »

See other photos in Ilayaraja thread under Vaggeyakaras.

rajeshnat

Re: A BLESED EVENING IN THE HOUSE OF MAESTRO ISAIGNAI ILIAYARAJA

Post by rajeshnat »

Kudos GG , Vishruthi, Mudhra Bhaskar,Ravichandran and UshaRajagopalan. Last time I asked CRama why you could not take photo with Isaignani when he attended shankaran namboothiri concert .That day SRK had bhagyam with iillayaraja sir. This time Crama had a lovely snap with isaignani.

Apart from the above photos put 2 more photos with Isaignani Thread in that God Of Music Thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32009&p=355752#p355750.

rajeshnat

Re: A BLESSED EVENING IN THE HOUSE OF MAESTRO ISAIGNANI ILIAYARAJA

Post by rajeshnat »

I changed one of the photos where the first upload did not have ghatam artist. Now i have swapped and also included G Ravichandran in God Of Music Thread, If you had missed previous posts and have time read please read some notes on illayaraja in that thread on illayaraja