ABHISHEK RAGHURAM IN MUDHRA- 13/12/19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

ABHISHEK RAGHURAM IN MUDHRA- 13/12/19

Post by CRama »

Accompanists.
H.N.Bhaskar- Violin
Patri Satish Kumar- Mridangam
V. Suresh- Ghatam
List of songs.
• Eranapai- Thodi varnam
• Ilalo Pranataarthihara- Athana- T (R,S)
• Rama Nannu brovara- Harikambodi- T (R,N,S)
• Ninnu vina sukhamu gana- Thodi- T
• Dandamupettenura- Balahamsa- T
• Paaduvay maname- Ragamalika- Bhairavi, Vasanthabhairavi,
Suddha bhairavi and Sindubhairavi- Guru Surajananda
Tuned by TMT. (R)
• RTP- Poorvikalyani- Adi talam- Khanda nadai.
Sahithyam- Madhuraapurinilaye Manivalaye Sadaye
Paahimaam Gamagakriye
RM- tanam and swaram- Rasikapriya and Kokilapriya
• Tani avartanam
• Enna tavam seythanai- Kapi- PS
• Muruga muruga ena nee sol- Hamsanandi- PS (S)
• Mangalam

This is the first concert of Abhishek Raghuram in Mudhra. In the photo exhibition, there is one photo of Sanjay Subramaniam singing in Mudhra to the accompaniment of H.K.Venkatram on the Violin, Palghat Raghu on the Mridangam and young Abhishek Raghuram on the Ganjira. I could see another photo where Abhishek singing invocation song when his Guru P.S.Naraynaswamy was honoured by Mudhra. But this is the first vocal concert of Abhishek in Mudhra – in this Silver Jubilee Year. And Abhishek and the team has made it a very memorable concert for many years to come.

The natural exhuberance of Abhishek, voice range, manodharmam, vidwat, laya expertise – every thing was in place to enthral the listeners for two hours and forty five minutes. The alapanas of Athana, Harikambodi and Poorvikalyani were fantastic. Never heard such a detailed alapana of Harikambodi in the recent times. For the kriti Rama nannu brovara, the neraval on the lines Mepula kai and the cascade of swarams were received by the house full audience with thunderous applause.

Even though the varnam was in Thodi, that did not deter him to present another kriti of Thyagaraja in its purest form in the appropriate kalapramanam and with full justice to the bhavam of the song.

Dandamupettenura is the staple fare of DR. MBK. Abhishek presented it with astounding raga bhavam. The ragamalika - a wonderful piece- I am hearing for the first time. It had chittaswaram in all the ragams and very nicely presented. Abhishek presented all the four ragams preceding the kriti. The shift from one ragam to other was seamless.

The piece de resistance- RTP in Poorvikalyani had all the characteristcs of the many RTPs we have heard from Abhishek. A grand alapana for twenty minutes. Tanam was played in the Violin. The pallavi, elaborate neraval and swarams were real feast. In the tanam and swarams, he substituted Rasikapriya and Kokilapriya in the place of Gamagakirya and was very skilfully presented. Even the last piece in Hamsanandi was decorated with bouts of cracker swarams.

H.N.Bhaskar on the Violin was a perfect foil for the indulgence of Abhishek. Patri Satishkumar and Suresh handled the percussion with aplomb.

But the villain was the sound system which was brought by Abhishek. The audio was an assault on the years till the start of Poorvikalyani. Because it was brought by Abhishek and he had a technician for that, Mudhra people could do little in the matter.

An excellent concert from Abhishek and his team.

Sachi_R

Re: ABHISHEK RAGHURAM IN MUDHRA- 13/12/19

Post by Sachi_R »

Thanks CRama
. When such a concert review is posted, it seems to answer the concern about lack of "marketing" by Abhishek. Quality and a satisfying concert experience are the core ingredients of audience appeal. All other non-concert promotions are secondary.

Surprised that a special audio system brought in performed poorly.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 23:30 • RTP- Poorvikalyani- Adi talam- Khanda nadai.
Sahithyam- Madhuraapurinilaye Manivalaye Sadaye
Paahimaam Gamagakriye
RM- tanam and swaram- Rasikapriya and Kokilapriya
Tanam was played in the Violin.
An excellent concert from Abhishek and his team.
As i was reading the review with the song list i was thinking i hope abhishek sang the taanam instead of giving tanam to violin . But just like school exam prayers what i wish never happens.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

As i was reading the review with the song list i was thinking i hope abhishek sang the taanam instead of giving tanam to violin . But just like school exam prayers what i wish never happens.
Rajesh, I respect your rasikatvam enormously so this is no criticism.
My own feeling is that the Trinity of LGJ TNK and MSG (and perhaps Dwaram, TC etc) have established a highly appealing technique for playing tanam on the violin. HN Bhaskar is particularly good at it. I know Abhishek well and I know he would have left it to him to achieve the best impact in the concert.

By the way the new crop of violinist accompanists simply rock. They have absorbed the best from the masters!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Abhishek if he sings RTP in say 20 out of 100 concerts , he only takes taanam only for say 2 out of 20. My point is this brilliant vocalist abhishek should sing taanam more than skipping and giving taanam as a rule to violinist. Taanam is to me the most center piece for the concerts for the vocalist to show their art .Lot of concerts where MSG (guru of HNB )has only given violin returns after taanam by that days vocalist like SKR,MMI,SSI ,KVN, TVS,TNS etc...

CRama

Post by CRama »

What Abhishek is doing to avoid repetition of the alapana by Violinist and encourage to play tanam. It also saves time. Yestetday Bhaskar actually started Alapana. But Abhishek signalled to play tanam. And Bhaskar excelled in that.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama
We will disagree on taanam and your last post

The song muruga muruga ena nee sol in hamsanandi is by gomathi ramasubramaniam - not by papanasam sivan as stated by you.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks for the correction of the composer name. I have heard this song only a couple of times from DKJ.