Vijay Siva - SRLKM Gayana Samaja - 25-Jan-2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
ranjanimalavi

Vijay Siva - SRLKM Gayana Samaja - 25-Jan-2019

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Vijay Siva - Vocal
R K Shriramkumar - Violin
Manoj Siva - Mridangam
S Krishna - Ghatam

1. Neelayadakshi - Paras - SS
2. Dinamani Vamsa - HariKambhoji - T (S)
3. Prema Swaroopa - AnandaBhairavi - OVK (RS)
4. Sri Chamundeswari Devi - Kannada - JCW
5. Korina Varamu - Ramapria - PSI (RN)
6. Chinna Nadena - Kalanidhi - T
7. Akshayalinga Vibho - Sankarabharanam - MD (RNS)
8. Thani
9. RTP Jayanthasena
Pallavi: Senapathe (?) Shakthi Paane Jaya Jaya Nanda
10. Slokam - Ragamalika - Behag, Tanyas, Yadukula Kambhoji
11. Swami Mukhya Prana - Yadukula Kambhoji - PD
12. ? - Ragamalika
13. Maale Manivanna - Kunthalavarali - A
14. Thirupugazh - Madhyamavathi - AN
15. Mangalam - Sowrashtram - T

Very Good concert from Vijay Siva and team

Raman
Last edited by ranjanimalavi on 26 Jan 2020, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Re: Vijay Siva - SRLKM Gayana Samaja - 25-Jan-2019

Post by arasi »

Raman,
Thank you for your prompt post. Yes, it was a very good concert right from the beginning (NIlAyadAkshi). Saw our vidushi Neela Ramgopal relishing it. She stayed until the end and listened.
Manoj's playing at dinamaNi vamSa was very pleasing. Neraval at sarva vinOda and how the school speaks for itself! DKP and DKJ's stamp all over.
The Anandabhairavi kiriti prEma swarUpa had a chiTTaswaram and more swaram-s were added. Such pleading, pleasing singing. SRK's response was equally emotive.
Ramapriya appealed in every way, so did Sriramkumar's playing. Neraval at sarivArilO.

Wish we had met...
Last edited by arasi on 26 Jan 2020, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Swami Mukhya Prana

arasi

Post by arasi »

The two young disciples sang in accord whenever signaled by their guru. The senior of the two (Arun Sankar?) sang more, and impressed us indeed.
chinnanADenA came next and then the main, SankarAbharaNam, akshaya linga vibhO with all its heft. Again, Manoj's play for it had both sogasu and gAmbhIrya. Neraval at badari vana. RKSR joined in to make it a dignified presentation.
Excellent tani where S. Krishna showed his skills fully.
RTP had the rAgA name woven in very nicely and it was a pleasing part of the concert, a brisk presentation.
Heard dhanyAsi after a long time which pleased me no end.
The concert, from beginning to the end was a solid fare for listeners.
RKS the other day, and DKP yesterday, their heritage continuing in those who carry on their imprint. By the way, Sriramkumar heralding both schools in his playing and teaching :)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

As an unabashed fan of VS's music along with @sankark - this was a quintessential VS concert. The proportion of every piece rendered - composers, ragas and languages, the ease of neravals and swarams - and the right alapana content made it what concerts should be traditionally. My only gripe is that the RTP was too short - and also probably this is the 4th or the 5th time I am hearing the Jayantasena Pallavi in Chatusra Jhampai - a DKP school classic! The good thing is every time it sounds just great :)

Ananda Bhairavi, Ramapriya and Sankarabharanam stood out. Haven't heard the Oothakkadu composition before - such a nice one. The neraval in Ramapriya was superb and SB stole the show. One can never get satisfied with the diskhitar classic. I was hoping for neraval at a different line (VS does this - for example he sings neraval at manikya makuta for Bala Gopala rather than the usual Neela Nirada Sharira) - but what a volley of neraval and swarams. VS still belongs to the rare breed who sing shlokams - and the triad of Behag, Dhanyasi and YK neatly led to the Purandara dasa song - Swami Mukhya Prana (have heard this in Ananda Bhairavi before). Rukmini Kalyanam was again a treat followed by Maale Manivanna and the Tiruppugazh.

RKS followed VS with such anticipation, something I always enjoy - given their lineage. Violin accompaniment to VS is always a treat be it Charulata, Charumathi, Amrita Murali, RKS or Lalgudi Viji - the ones I have heard recently. Especially RKS and Lalgudi Viji bring out such contrasting styles - the former in anticipation and the latter with complementing the music - like their legendary guru. Percussion support was apt. Wish there was a Padam or Javali too....

All in all, an evening well spent - reinforcing my tagline - If I have money for one concert, I would spend it on a VS concert.....

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

The disciple who provided active vocal support - is it Vikneswaran? Nice to see the lineage continuing with such active participation, following toe to toe....

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Envy you rasikas - GG and Arasi 👍

Toe to toe? An expression of rivalry, sir!

toe-to-toe
— adjective

being in direct confrontation or opposition.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Gardabha Gana,
You added more substance to my observations, thanks. I looked around a bit for you at the concerts I attended, but no luck. Wish we had said hello to each other. Also Bhagwan. The season was long, but being not well, I could make it only to five concerts :( Still, I didn't have to be sad that I missed the Chennai season. Thanks to SRLKM, I could hear at least a handful of concerts!
Yes, I wished too that the RTP had continued for a while longer.
The name of the disciple who sang, I thought was the first name given in the sheet of paper to all, stating the details of the concert...

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Sachi_R wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 05:15 Toe to toe? An expression of rivalry, sir!

toe-to-toe
— adjective

being in direct confrontation or opposition.
Thanks much @sachi Sir. You are right - an incorrect usage. Also, pls don't call me sir - I am younger to you in age and even more so in gnanam :)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

arasi wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 09:56 Gardabha Gana,
You added more substance to my observations, thanks. I looked around a bit for you at the concerts I attended, but no luck. Wish we had said hello to each other. Also Bhagwan. The season was long, but being not well, I could make it only to five concerts :( Still, I didn't have to be sad that I missed the Chennai season. Thanks to SRLKM, I could hear at least a handful of concerts!
Yes, I wished too that the RTP had continued for a while longer.
The name of the disciple who sang, I thought was the first name given in the sheet of paper to all, stating the details of the concert...
I also, attended very few concerts this time.... I will post on Balakrishna/Vamsi and Sudha shortly. I looked for you m'am. Hope you have recovered well. I am tied down with other commitments unfortunately. Gave the chennai season a miss. I have seen VS have a bunch of disciples - can't associate names to faces - Shwetha Ramachandran, Guruvayoor Narayanan, SR Vikneswaran and Arun Shankar come to mind. Indeed it is good to see the next generation in the lineage becoming more active along with their guru.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

gardabha_gana wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 23:00 The disciple who provided active vocal support - is it Vikneswaran? Nice to see the lineage continuing with such active participation shadowing his guru...

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

GG
The only thing I have learnt in life is to respect others and especially those like you who are better than me in many ways 😀

Age is a number. That's it.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Vocal support (primary) was indeed by S R Vikneswaran. FB to the rescue :) - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009575047633

I would be very interested to know if SRV also performs solo.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gardabha_gana wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 22:58 My only gripe is that the RTP was too short - and also probably this is the 4th or the 5th time I am hearing the Jayantasena Pallavi in Chatusra Jhampai - a DKP school classic! The good thing is every time it sounds just great :)
It is always a short RTP from vijaysiva . That is DKJ/DKP school . Vijay gives a great sweep of compositions with shorter version of pallavi- also the raga being jayantasena that would be usually shorter then say shamughapriya . The pallavi line must be "Sena Pate Shakti Pane Jaya Jaya Anantha" . Few years back some one asked , i posted from a review copying and pasting from a Mumbai review.

Purist

Post by Purist »

What is this ragam "Tanyas"? (sung in the shlokam item).
Can anyone throw some light. Not heard of its name.

ranjanimalavi

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Its Dhanyasi - auto correct must have changed it, I didn't notice it before, now I cannot edit it