Suryaprakash@Vanimahal on Mar 15th,2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : B Ananthakrishnan
Mrudangam - Sumesh Narayanan
Ghatam - Trichy Murali

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow , Free concet
Day/Duration : Sunday / 2 hours and 10 minutes
sabha/Hall : Thyagabrahma gana sabha / Obul reddy hall
Theme : Thamizh isai series

1. neeyE sakala bhuvanam pOtrum - varnam - brindavani - Suryaprakash

2A. viruththam - Veyuru ThOli Pangan - kAmbOdhi - KOloru thirrrupadigam
2B. aru marundoru tani(N,S) - kAmbOdhi - MuttuTandavar
neraval in konrai tumbai aNinda marundu for 4 mins
few mins swaras -

3. ramanukku mannan mudi (S) - hindOlam - PSivan
swaras for 5 mins
4.pArengum pArthAlum (R N S ) - kalyani - ghaNam krishna Iyer
13 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
neraval in Anbudane muthu kumaran mamane for 4 mins
9 mins swaras

5. Adum varai avar Adattum (R) - huseni - OVK
4 mins alapana and 2 mins violin return

6A. tAmadamEn swami (R S T) - todi - psivan
16 mins alapana and 7 mins violin return
swaras for 7 mins
6B. tani for 10 mins
7. devargal arul seida ragangale - hamsanadam + 28 more ragas + madhyamavati - Suryaprakash
Last edited by rajeshnat on 17 Mar 2020, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash@Vanimahal on Mar 15th,2020

Post by rajeshnat »

Vanimahal conducts thamizh isai festival . I attended this concert and the next day palghat ramprasad concert . Both concerts had a fairly regimented start and end time .This concert went for 2 hours and 10 mins and the ramprasad concert went for 2 hours and 20 mins. You all would know why i just mention that absolute time .

Vanimahal publishes as 6 30 to 8 30, atleast 9pm closure please - vanimahal , you are an awesome sabha which conducts year round concerts and is the best in T Nagar. Sabhas like NGS and your friend SKGS are not conducting almost all year long concerts which was a norm in years 2002 to 2015. Now only Vanimahal is the bright star

Moving on this concert was wonderful with a very well set accompanists team . Suryaprakash started with a booming brindavani varnam of his own which I am hearing for the second time . He composed that a year or two back in USA. There is no brindavani varnam in circulation ever , it is his luck that extraordinary composers like LGJ,BMK, TMT, TRS etc have not composed one in brindavani and what a composition this is

Thamizh varnams are rare as most of the time i get a telugu word like chala mela ...sirunov etc. This varnam is very longish varnam like his grand paramaguru mathE malayathmaja in kamas . Forget about the words in first place the varnam is almost giving me the musical contours of a swaminathena or kamalapta kula sung by a santhanam or manakkal rangarajan. Varnam Words are lovely , he is describing kanna and yashoda , some lines like vazhai tirundu bhuvanam etc are describing the incident of Lord baby krishna showing the whole world . THe second speed lines were kanna manivanna kamala padam with arresting swaras to toe was well composed. Mark my words for sure like a TRS behag or Lalgudi charukesi this suryaprakash brindavani thamizh varnam will be more etched as years move on. I called this vidwan Suryaprakash once Adam Gilchrist in some review of his decades back and this varnam was one of that openers , varnam itself is for 10 plus mins.

He moved next to a brief thank you note thanking the more than sizeable audience who had come braving the scare .He briefly also said his paramaguru MMI sang this viruththam on request of mahaswami of kanchi. What a wonderful viruththam is veyuru tholi pangan , i get goosebumps personally and this is one scripture i read sometimes . Particularly the curve of raga bhava when lines say gnayiru thingal sevvai budhan is just awesome thamizh with music or put it this way , ISAI thamizh at its best . There was no surprise for me when he sang the rare thamizh krithi arumarundu as when viruththam was on i guessed that krithi only. The surprise was when he suddenly sang the neraval in konrai thumbai and a superb kambodhi swaras that were in line with the mood of the song . The swaras did not go in that distinct ga ma pa ma ga stormbodhi route like a tiruvadi or ma janaki but bit stayed little restrained as restBodhi aru marundu.

Hindolam is a great filler . The uninitiated or semi initiated CM gumbal will generally like hindolam is my best guess and the crowd did enjoy. Kalyani and the todi that followed as a submain and main were almost GNB. Somehow i have noticed this vidwan suryaprakash whenever he takes vasudevayani ,GNB is far more prominent than the mmi and ssi . What a fantastic range of voice and brigas after few rounds of meditative hues in melakartha 65. More than the alapana and krithi. I definitely liked his extremely detailed neraval in kalyani in the lines andubdane .

I have vague recollection of hearing maharajapuram santhanam even when he was alive and there is also a vintage vishwanatha iyer singing this rare krithi pArengum paarthalum. Of late sanjay has sung this song is what i read in a review.I personally heard maharajapuram srinivasan and his son singing this song once in a live kalyana kutcheri.My memory fades and i am assuming this is the first time i am hearing neraval , this krithi describes kumbakonam and sarangapani .

Huseni was the pre main filler . The huseni was well done with a lovely restrained alapana and a ovk krithi aadum varai. I was expecting cute swaras but understandably he had a main and a tani to follow. After a well sung huseni , tODI was GNB again to me. What a krithi is this tamadam en swami , i first heard trichur ramachandran and then once sriram gangadharan and then only i heard GNB with a recording . Very recently vidwan TNS krishna sang this krithi beautifully, voice and lung power has to be there when you take up this tamadam en swami, you are putting your neck in nayana pidi guillotine. Nayana pidi is in and out there with this todi krithi, sivan created magical words like pOdum pOdum indap puzhu, I am assuming sivan is praying that he should not have any more birth in this extraordinary krithi.

As the alapana was on with todi , i assumed the main would be karthikeya of sivan(most likely) or taaye Yashoda (less likely as he just completed another huseni OVk krithi). These are the joys of attending live concert , you momentarily forget due to thamadam , the thamizh krithi tamadam en swami and when it comes that too it comes in such grand nayana pidi fashion, concert reaches more aesthetics atleast to me . Swaras in todi were all kathri swaras .Both BAK and two percussionists did a great job.

He ended with one last song which was his 30 raga ragamaliga . Well done , his voice was in great shape , the team was roaring to go but concert ended with a feeling of declare or rain interruption (u choose your camp) .B Ananthakrishnan grandfather is Venkataramanuja Iyengar who had some connection with RS Gopalakrishnan . I have not heard either VR Iyengar or RSG . But Nagai murali is the disciple of RSG. You can hear the same press from ananthakrishnan like nagai murali . He is concise in alapana return and gives lot of singing space . His press is superb and is anusaranai violinist at his best. Sumesh did have a few minor difficulty in adjusting to mmi crescendo sarvalaghu in swaras but overall his strokes were superb. No over volume problems with Sumesh considering the lineage. Trichy Murali continues to
be awesome, their tani was a great show of right fireworks that went in line with a gnb-todi cracker of a song.

I personally saw from a distance Crama and sridhar_rang and I could not say Hi due to safe distance education . Crama will usually write and I hope sridhar also adds his impressions.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 10 mins.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Due to some other preoccupations, I could come to the concert only when Suryaprakash was negotiating the swara prastarams for Ramanukku Mannan mudi.

The alapanas of Kalyani, Huseni and Thodi were grand. Alapana of Huseni is not that frequent on the concert platform. The alapana of Karukurichi is one that stands like a beacon. Last year Sowmya presented a wholesome alapana and she had even presented RTP in Huseni a few years back. So I was happy when Suryapraksh embarked upon a detailed alapana of Huseni. The alapana revealed the characteristic pidis of the ragam unfailingly with lot of Nagaswara sangatis interwoven into it. It was very traditional. The Kriti of Uthucaud Aadum varai avar aadattum also was neatly presented with the nadai variations, jatis etc.

Ragam Thodi again revealed that it is the king among the ragams and Suryapraksh’s handling of the ragam was very disciplined. It was a step by step exploration with a mixture of gamakams, jarus, brighas and plain notes and there was a steady kalapramanam in the alapana. The characteristic phrases of the ragam were presented with precision and aesthetic approach. Tamadamen swami is also a rare appearance on the concert arena. He presented the song with full reverence to the sahithyam. There was no neraval and the kalapna swarams were structured inellligently.

His own ragamalika in 30 ragams was the icing on the cake.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 10:22 Suryaprakash@Vanimahal on Mar 15th,2020
-----------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : B Ananthakrishnan
Mrudangam : Shertalai Ananthakrishnan
Kanjira : S Venakataramanan
Mrudangam : Sumesh Narayanan
Ghatam : Trichy Murali

Sorry for the error. Few pointed out to me personally, thanks to them.

Mods
Correct my first post