ThanjAvur Shankara Iyer@SanthanagOpalan's house on Oct 6th,2

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Suryaprakash

Post by Suryaprakash »

Friends!!

Sorry for my delayed posting as I am just back from a mindblowing season of concerting.

I don't consider myself qualified to comment on the simply exhilarating concert of Shri.TSI mama. I can only say that this was a very different concert from any other concert we get to listen to, since every second was unpredictable and that made it the most interesting, especially for musicians.

On hearing "Janani Ninnuvina" that day I thought how so much more was there to the (already) monumental kriti and how come I had missed those aspects of rendering till then. It was not a standard rendition, each and every syllable was consumed, digested and enjoyed by the Master while presenting. Even though the patanthram was the oft heard one, the syllables positioned themselves at slightly different places of the misra chapu thalam than usual, which was at once idealistic, yet deceptively simple.

The veteran's raga alapanas and virutham passages brought out the very quintessence of ragas,especially the Suruti and Saurashtram were astonishing. The way Shri. G J R Krishnan anna played Anandabhairavi, Reethigowla (in succession, meeting the demands of Shri.TSI mama who sang them as an amazing demonstration, one after the other too) brought out the oceanic difference between the two. His reply for the Kedaragowla and Ahiri passages of Shri.Mama's virutham was truly memorable too.

What can be said about Shri. T K Murthy mama...It was not an octagenarian playing mridangam but a 20 year old. The way he filled up "Venkata Shaila Vihara.." with tekkas, gumkis and pharans, the way he played rupaka tala patterns for "Sathbhakthiyu"...I prayed to God that this purest of the pure Thanjavur baani must thrive forever and am sure that Shri. Bhaktha sir in all his grace, must have done the same thing.

The kanjira accompaniment by Neyveli Shri. Venkatesh was like a shadow to Shri. Murthy mama during the kritis and complimentary during the thaniavarthanam.

I cannot still bring myself to believe that I performed before Shri. TSI mama the very next day at the Old Age home in OM Road where he resides and talked and talked with him about his concert, and in general on music, to my heart's content after finishing mine. It could have been only a divine coincidence bordering on the fantastic.

A big "THANKS" to Shri. Neyveli Anna, the musician's musician for providing all of us the opportunity to listen and learn from the concert of Shri. TSI mama, a musician's musician's musician!

- Suryaprakash R
Last edited by Suryaprakash on 23 Oct 2007, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Suryaprakash for shedding the light from the other end. Let us just add "THANKS" to the rasika's rasika's rasika for arranging the concert by the venerable musician's musician's musician!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

cmlover wrote:Let us just add "THANKS" to the rasika's rasika's rasika for arranging the concert by the venerable musician's musician's musician!
And to this rasika among musicians who has reviewed it. :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suryaprakash,
Thank you for the eagerly awaited write up on the one of a kind concert. Instructive music by the veteran, hosted by a one of a kind musician and reverentially reviewed by a young musician! You are an asset on the forum with your art and with the way you articulate.
We discuss music in its various forms--concerts too, and what an advantage it is to feel the pulse of a unique concert with the help of one who is also a practitioner! You have added another dimension to the event. Thanks once again to all the performers on the forum for enriching our musical lives...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks for the pictures. I was happy to see them and the folks in them. I posted my response immediately on seeing them, but now realize that my post is not there! Did I not press 'submit'?
Your captions as usual are peppered, like your lively self! You do spare time for us in spite of relentless work load (this applies to all of you there who share your concert experiences with us, no matter how long your work hours are)...
Last edited by arasi on 24 Oct 2007, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Suryaprakash thanks for your excellent insights. I really regret not having been able to attend

jagan

Post by jagan »

I am agreeably surprised by the interest generated in this site on Sri Sankara Iyer’s music at Santhanagopalan’s house/. Many occasions in the recent past, when he had offered memorable music do not seem to have elicited such attention. And this makes me share some viewpoints with the rasikas.

Great appreciation is evident of the music offered by him on that day and specially to his rendering of Janani Ninnuvina. It is so great beacause Sri Sankara Iyer’s music is based on the Veena tradition. Sri K S Narayanaswami used to play like this only. After all, they shared the same musical lineage. Smt. Kalpakam Swaminathan, told him after his concert in Musiri’s house “Ambal has placed the veena in your throat.â€
Last edited by jagan on 24 Oct 2007, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you jagan for your post.

Vijay, hope you are in Chennai that day to enjoy the concert. Chennai dwellers, please make a note of the date. Hope forthcoming concerts of TSI are posted on the forum, and also a reminder a week before the concert. Hope young musicians and rasikas make it a point to attend his concerts and the concerts of other veterans. We come across statements like 'how I wish I heard heard him (her) live!' often from the younger generation. So, do go to listen to them while they are around...

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

one of the master's brilliant compositions... sung by a master

http://rapidshare.com/files/64958018/05 ... h.mp3.html

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Thanks so much Venkatpv! A real treat!!

Is the singer Sri TRS? Sounds like him. The pace of the song is unbelievably tricky.

Who are the accompanists?
Last edited by rasaali on 25 Oct 2007, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

it is TRS, and on the violin is MC... not sure about the mridangist... the source for this track is, as always, coolji :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah!

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

TRS mentions just as he starts singing, "this song, so many decades ago, this has been composed in what is called dhrupad style... it has to be appreciated very much"

Prof. SRJ in the recent Isaiyodu naan program was asked to sing Desh, and he sang a few snatches of Rama namame, in a different style... unbelievably original style!!

sbala

Post by sbala »

Thanks Venkat. A real treat!

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

I'm sorry to bring this up if its already been addressed, but has this concert been recorded and will it be available to those who were not able to go?

rajumds

Re: ThanjAvur Shankara Iyer@SanthanagOpalan's house on Oct 6th,2

Post by rajumds »

NSG has posted a few photos of this concert in his facebook page as a tribute