Pandit RaviShankar 90

Classical Music of North India
gobilalitha

Pandit RaviShankar 90

Post by gobilalitha »

Cinema Plus | Young World | Property Plus | Quest |

Metro Plus Bangalore Chennai Hyderabad
HEARTIEST CONGRATS , PANDITJI ON TURNING 90. I am short of words to praise the legend. The HINDU DOES IT GOBILALITHA

Lord of the strings

Pandit Ravi Shankar, who built the East-West musical bridge, recently turned 90. The legendary sitarist on the future of classical music

Forever young Pandit Ravi Shankar: ‘I forget my age wherever I perform'

A singular phenomenon in the classical music worlds of the East and West, the legendary sitarist, composer, teacher and writer Pandit Ravi Shankar is known for his pioneering work in taking Indian music to the West.

Always ahead of his times, he has written concertos for sitar and symphony orchestras, violin-sitar compositions. The world renowned sitarist has also composed extensively for films such as “Charly”, “Gandhi” and “Appu Trilogy” and ballets. He has been conferred innumerable awards, including the Bharat Ratna.

Living a life submerged in music, Panditji recently turned 90. I had an opportunity to talk to him at his Chanakyapuri (New Delhi) residence.

What is the secret of his sustained creativity?

“My audience! I forget my age wherever I perform, India or abroad. I have tried to present our music without destroying its character and ethos. Normally you take a raga and play it for an hour or sometimes more. But when I started playing in the West in 1950s, they said Indian music is very esoteric and long. So, I began presenting the music in a way they could understand. I would explain what a raga is and its nuances. I did play aalap-jod, but not very long. I faced a lot of criticism back in India. People said I don't perform pure music, but my efforts to popularise Indian classical music did pay off,” smiles the nonagenarian.

Fashion of fusion

On the growing trend of fusion, he says, “ “It's a controversial topic but I shall give you my view. My guru Ustad Allauddin Khan was very traditional but he experimented a lot. When my brother Uday Shankar took him abroad, Timir Baran, who was the music director in my brother's dance company, would play a few classical pieces on the sarod during the interludes. But my guru tried the Western violin in Dartington Hall, Prague and their folk music on their folk instruments. His creativity influenced me a lot. My first opportunity came as the director of AIR's Vadya-Vrinda, later I did collaborations with Western musicians but the ‘fusion' word was not there. I played with symphony orchestras, but instead of jamming, I depended on my own inspiration while experimenting with them.”

On the present scenario of classical music, Panditji says, “We are going through a fantastic time. The young generation is very receptive and music is spreading fast, but the guidance of a guru does matter.” Stressing on commitment to the art, he continues, “There is no point learning music if you only have interest and not the requisite talent. Riyaaz of 14 to 15 hours is immaterial if you don't have true passion and dedication. I have observed that students in the West are more serious and hard working. There is no dearth of talent here, but youngsters should take music seriously and allow themselves to be groomed properly. I was concerned about the grim future of classical music a few years ago, but I'm hopeful now that it would never die.”

MANJARI SINHA
Printer friendly page
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

Metro Plus Bangalore Chennai Hyderabad

gobilalitha

Re: Pandit RaviShankar 90

Post by gobilalitha »

I wanted to post it in general discussions in addition to hindustani classical.. somehow it has inadvertently found its way in vidhwans(carnatic). I have heard him play a marvellous simhendramadhyamam gobilalitha

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

His rendering in raga Asa Bhairav in three parts linked below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1nBdm4xxR8
E'-SWARA-01-Ravi shankar-Asa bhairav-part-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNZEzI41xU
'E'-SWARA-02-Ravi sankar-Asa bhairav-Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Hv3352ztI
E'-SWARA-03-Ravi sankar-Asa bhairav-Part 3

venkatakailasam

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXXBfL5l ... re=related
A fabulous presentation of Misra Peelu by Panditji with the incomparable (late)Chatur Lal on the tabla
Mind-boggling speed, and brilliant left-hand technique! This was recorded in 1965.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Many more returns of the happy day to Pandit Ravi Shankar. May God keep him alive and well for us rasikas to enjoy his music.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Indeed... Wishing him many happy returns of every day, and that he may have many, many more --- but his birthday is in April.

I suppose that means that ninety-one is just a few weeks away for him. Amazing and wonderful.

EDIT

Oh! born in 1920 and this thread was started in 2010: make that ninety-two. Even more amazing.