Hindusthani equivalent swaras for carnatic swaras.

Classical Music of North India
chskumar4

Hindusthani equivalent swaras for carnatic swaras.

Post by chskumar4 »

Hi Rasikas Good Morning !!

Could you kindly give the Hindusthani equivalent swaras for carnatic swaras.
like,
shuddha rishabham (K) = kOmal rishab (H)
chatushruti rishabam = tIvra rishaba (H)
shatshruti rishabham & Shuddha gAndhAram are R1 and G1 resp.
sAdhAraNa gAndhAraM = kOmal gAdhAra (H)
antara gAndhAraM = shuddha gAndhAraM
shuddha madhyamaM = shuddha madhyama
prati madhayamaM = teevra madhyama
panchamaM = panchaM
shuddha dhaivataM = kOmal dhaivata
chatushruti dhaivataM = shuddha dhaivata
shatshruti dhaivataM & shuddha nishadam are D3 and N1 resp
kaiSiki nishAdhaM = kOmal nishAdha
kAkali nishAdhaM = shuddha nishAdha

please kindly advise.
Waiting for your kind response.

Thanking you,

With Best Regards,
-SHASHI KUMAR

Lakshman

Re: Hindusthani equivalent swaras for carnatic swaras.

Post by Lakshman »

I have edited your chart. Hope it is OK.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I see now what HM uses 'Shuddha' for. Considering the notes of Major Scale/Shankarabharanam Mela those are called Suddha. By that model, should not the Rishaba be called Shuddha Rishaba. That will be more consistent.

Assuming that is the case, then HM namig is quite consistent. All the major scale notes are Shuddha and the corresponding buddy swaras are 'kOmal' to refer to flats, except for Madhyama which is Tivra since it is sharper.

chskumar4

Post by chskumar4 »

Thank you lakshman Ji and Vasanatakokilam Ji,

I am seeking one more information from you, coould you please let me know "VaishNav JanatO....." sung my MS.Subbalakshmi gAru is in which raaga, Actually I have posted this question as seperate thread, but haven't get any replay on this.

hence I thought of asking you.

Please let me know if you know

Regards,
-SHASHI KUMAR

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I think it is a mixuture of rAgAs including dEs, shades of bAgEshrI and so on. It is difficult to pinpoint them exactly unless one is a trained musician which I am not.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 24 Feb 2017, 07:54 I see now what HM uses 'Shuddha' for. Considering the notes of Major Scale/Shankarabharanam Mela those are called Suddha. By that model, should not the Rishaba be called Shuddha Rishaba. That will be more consistent.
Think carnatic raga nomenclature for ragas like Siddha saveri, Suddha hindolam etc. follow same logic.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Suresh, interesting observation. Especially given the fact that CM use of Suddha is not what is implied with those raga names.

Saveri -> Suddha Saveri - yes ( R1 - > R2 , D1 -> D2 ) so that fits
HIndolam vs Suddha Hindolam, yes but partially. D1 - > D2 but both use G2

I looked up a few more examples to see if this holds... it is a mixed picture
Vasantha -> Suddha Vasantha holds. R1 - > R2
Dhanyasi ->Suddha Dhanyai . SD is a proper subset of Dhanyasi with no substitution of Suddha variants of any swaras so the rule does not hold
Thodi vs Suddha Thodi is a proper subset of Thodi (ST is a panchama varjya variation of thodi ) with no substitution of Suddha variants of any swaras so the rule does not hold
Bangala vs Suddha Bangala.. here Suddha Bangala uses G2 , Bangala uses G3 which is the inverse of the rule.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Good observations. Don't they say that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds? :)

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

What the OP has called "Teevra rishabha ( chatusruti ri)" should be written as "Shuddha Rishabha" in HM. Teevra is incorrect. VK has asked about this or suggested it, but I don't see it confirmed by anyone , so here I am. All the major scale swaras are SHUDDHA in HM.

RSR

Post by RSR »

chskumar4 » 28 Feb 2017, 09:41
coould you please let me know "VaishNav JanatO....." sung my MS.Subbalakshmi gAru is in which raaga, Actually I have posted this question as seperate thread, but haven't get any replay on this.
=============================
The song is typical composition by Piano Vaidhyanathan, in Hindusthani Kapi.
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... va-janatho
------------------------------------------
murali mohana in Hindi Meera film (1047)
http://picosong.com/TFdV
------------------------------------------
intha sowkyamu .Thayagaraja kruthi Madurai Mani Iyer

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 04:26 Suresh, interesting observation. Especially given the fact that CM use of Suddha is not what is implied with those raga names.

Saveri -> Suddha Saveri - yes ( R1 - > R2 , D1 -> D2 ) so that fits
HIndolam vs Suddha Hindolam, yes but partially. D1 - > D2 but both use G2

I looked up a few more examples to see if this holds... it is a mixed picture
Vasantha -> Suddha Vasantha holds. R1 - > R2
Dhanyasi ->Suddha Dhanyai . SD is a proper subset of Dhanyasi with no substitution of Suddha variants of any swaras so the rule does not hold
Thodi vs Suddha Thodi is a proper subset of Thodi (ST is a panchama varjya variation of thodi ) with no substitution of Suddha variants of any swaras so the rule does not hold
Bangala vs Suddha Bangala.. here Suddha Bangala uses G2 , Bangala uses G3 which is the inverse of the rule.
I think often the “rule” followed is that a raga is a shuddha version when at least one swara is shifted to the major scale variant (is. not TO the carnatic shuddha variant). As I seem to have mentioned here before, chatusruti rishabha, antara gandhara, chatusruti daivata, and kakali nishadha are all called shuddha in HM, which does not recognize the R3, G1,d3, n1. In HM, therefore, R1, g2, D1 and N2 are all called komal.

Of course we have some “shuddha” ragas that don’t follow this rule. And it is rather loose, as you can have extraneous swaras and still have the shuddha version of the name as in shuddha vasantha, which has all seven notes in the avarohanam, unlike vasantha.

But I came to this page for a different reason, it was while doing a search on “shuddha vasantham.” I was not able to find it, except in the KrithiBook app, which seems to have the arohana wrong as

S R2 G3 M1 P N3 S.

(P instead of D2)