Meaning of the hindusthani thaats and raagas

Classical Music of North India
chskumar4

Meaning of the hindusthani thaats and raagas

Post by chskumar4 »

Dear Rasikas!! Good Morning !!

Could you please advise on the meaning of the hindusthani thaats and raagas, like kAfi, marwa, bilAwal,asAveri.....
in carnatic kApi means "Which can't be explained in the words (anirvachanIy)"

Like that hindusthani thaats, please advise

Best Regards,
-SHASHI KUMAR

varsha

Re: Meaning of the hindusthani thaats and raagas

Post by varsha »

https://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/users/hvs/Veena/lecdems.html

pl google for a series of lectures at iit mumbai by the same artist

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear Shri Sashikumar,
Good morning and Namaskar.
Dear Sri Varsha-ji has given you a summer harvest of delicious informative musical links like the Mega Mango Mela curently attracting all of us here in Bengaluru (away from music!) šŸ˜€
As far as I know,
Pandit Vishnu Narayan (post edit) Bhatkahande (I am touching my ear as I speak out of respect), created the Thaat system. Each of the ten Thaats shares its name with a Raga, but is only a theoretical construct to group ragas under a category of similarities. The theoretical Thaat scale differs from the scale of the raga it shares the name with. Eg Todi.

Raga names (excluding new inventions) have the mist of antiquity covering them like Himalayan peaks. Etymology of many Indian words, especially Raga names, is the subject of discussion, conjecture, fancy construct and convenient but dubious explanation.
As I said, this is what I think.
As long as there is a consistent definition of a raga structure, and the Thaats are clearly defined, that serves us well! Like you can enjoy Sambhaar (yes, there is originally an h) even if you don't know, or don't agree on, the etymology of the word Sambhaar: that it was a vegetable curry with gravy created in the kitchen of Sambhaaji Maharaj in Tanjavur and he simply lipsmacked it with relish.
Last edited by Sachi_R on 30 Apr 2017, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Vishnu narayan Bhatkahande.
I know you must have typed in a hurry to type digambar from the other yugapurush's name( who shares the first name , btw)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Of course. NARAYANA NARAYANA!

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.mediafire.com/?ncpqfbcit64lvsy
bhAtkhande and subbarAma dikshitar !!! - a reference towards the end of this interview of r satyanarayana